Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

3 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

Yeah, I got the similarity myself, but I hated Her. I thought it was a terrible movie. It had potential but damn it sucked. The elements that Blade Runner used really worked. It doesn't hurt that Ana de Armas is probably the hottest celebrity on earth. It's not usual for me to dethrone whoever was on top, but half-way into it my girlfriend leaned over and said, "She is the prettiest thing EVER!" and I was thinking, phew, I'm glad I'm not the only one thinking she's ridiculously hot. 

cap-y-every-time-u-speak-i-wanna-throw-t

• Thanks 1

Just now, JonathanLB said:

I know, I know, it's SO crazy for anyone to disagree with The Powers That Be on BOT :P Even though virtually everyone on planet earth who saw Mother agrees that it's a godawful piece of shit. Like that's not even a strange opinion, it's literally everyone's opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the cast and crew hated it as much as I did. 

Well, uh... http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/martin-scorsese-rotten-tomatoes-box-office-obsession-why-mother-was-misjudged-guest-column-1047286

2 minutes ago, JonathanLB said:

I know, I know, it's SO crazy for anyone to disagree with The Powers That Be on BOT :P Even though virtually everyone on planet earth who saw Mother agrees that it's a godawful piece of shit. Like that's not even a strange opinion, it's literally everyone's opinion. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the cast and crew hated it as much as I did. 

cap-y-every-time-u-speak-i-wanna-throw-tcap-y-every-time-u-speak-i-wanna-throw-tcap-y-every-time-u-speak-i-wanna-throw-tcap-y-every-time-u-speak-i-wanna-throw-t

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, UNDERDOG said:

I mean, I love that movie buutttt...

I guess I can understand why. Could be the length.

He hates pretty much anything that's remotely "arthouse". Be braced for December is all I can say :lol: 

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, aabattery said:

That punk bitch didn't even use a katana. 

What's the point?

Man if Adam Driver had a katana that trapped the souls of its victims and smelled like the stench of death, it'd be that much better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Man if Adam Driver had a katana that trapped the souls of its victims and smelled like the stench of death, it'd be that much better.

This is esteemed American actor Adam Driver. He's got my back. I would advise not getting killed by him. His sword traps the souls of its victims.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

No, I don't like the vast majority of "art house" movies. If it's some supposedly "artsy" film now days, I will likely hate it. That doesn't apply to movies before 1980, where the artistic films were fantastic movies in almost every case. There used to be a time where great movies were great to anyone, not just to a select critical elite who thinks their bizarre taste in movies should be the norm. It's pretty insulting, really. I mean you'd think it would be something along the lines of, "Well, your average movie is just a stupid Transformers film that any idiot can understand, but the artistic movies have something to say about the world and make you think." That's certainly the idea, that is something I would imagine to be true, but it frankly isn't. A movie like Moonlight doesn't make you think. There's nothing to think about. I actually wrote a joke story that was 95% like Moonlight 4 years ago, told a bunch of my friends about it, and then... it actually becomes a movie. In my version it was a lesbian crack-addicted singleblack mother has a mentally handicapped child and struggles in the ghetto to raise her kid who grows up to become a transexual. I figured that would check all of the liberal boxes and the liberal film critics would feel shamed into loving the movie and giving it awards, no matter how bad it was. When I actually saw Moonlight and it gets all this awards attention, I couldn't help but think wow... I guess I really was right, I should have written this joke script, I would have gotten my big break!

I didn't hate Silence by the way. We never even finished it. We got an hour and ten minutes into the movie or something like that, it bored everyone to tears, it wasn't a subject I cared about, and we turned it off. It was well shot, seemed very well acted, it was just clearly not a movie for me. There wasn't anything to "hate" about it, really, it didn't stir any passions one way or another. It was just an insanely boring film that I had no interest in finishing. 

When you look at now "old" movies (I don't really consider 70s and 80s old movies, but I guess new generations do; to me old would be 30s and 40s) like Taxi Driver, those are genius films. Or Apocalypse Now. The Deer Hunter. The Godfather. When we used to get a fascinating character study, we got something like Citizen Kane, which is an incredible film. I love most of what critics agree are great films of the past, I'm right there with them on almost all of them (I don't care for Grand Illusion, but I appreciate its genius in the context of when it was made, it just wasn't a favorite of mine), but then something happened around the time the Social Justice Warriors took over and suddenly most of these "great art house movies" are just really awful. Crash, terrible film, worst Oscar winner of all time most people agree. 

Now, every year I watch all of these awards movies because in the darkness there will be gems (not saying GREAT but I enjoyed them) like Dallas Buyers Club, Midnight in Paris, La La Land, Philomena, The Imitation Game, Whiplash (genius film), Hell or High Water, Black Swan, Lion (another great movie), etc. If I just skipped seeing all of those types of films, I would miss out on some really good ones. Sadly, the vast majority are in the 0 star to 1 star club like Manchester, Moonlight, Arrival, Hateful Eight, Boyhood, Her, Les Miserables, etc. There is seemingly very little middle ground with these movies. In most crowd-pleasing entertainment, there is a ton of mediocrity. Like the newest Transformers, it wasn't a good movie, it was a mess, but it had funny lines, there were some good sequences, and it was way better than the god-awful trailer they made for it, so there you have a solid 2.5 star film. Or the newest Pirates, which I immediately forgot about, another 2.5 star film that had its moments but was pretty much mediocrity. The mainstream cinema is full of mediocre films that don't really inspire much love or hate. In the art house films, it's like they're either some of the worst movies I've ever seen -- and almost always when they're bad, they're also incredibly boring (Boyhood is the most boring of all) -- or they're really good movies about interesting topics that aren't typically covered.

I can appreciate a challenging but tough to watch movie like Still Alice. A very good film, though not one I would want to see again, it's something that addresses a rarely-seen struggle in film. I just don't know what there is to love about most of the garbage that is thrown out as awards films. They're different. Ok, great. So what?

Edited by JonathanLB
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, aabattery said:

This is esteemed American actor Adam Driver. He's got my back. I would advise not getting killed by him. His sword traps the souls of its victims.

He can cut you all in half with one sword stroke, just like mowing the lawn.

• Like 1