A Marvel Fanboy

Is BOM numbers the accounted numbers ?

• Founder / Operator

So it is the closet numbers but not necessarily the ones that distributors/exhibitors share money based on.

If I'm misunderstanding you, feel free to let me know. But BOM's numbers are the same numbers reported to everyone in the media, they don't have any more or less accurate (outside of occasional human error) data than other box office reporting sites like us. The studios report what they consider the "official" numbers to Boxoffice, The-Numbers, Mojo, Guru, etc. Same numbers, same sources.Where there are differences (usually on past titles and not much on current titles) its usually because of a typo in someone's system and/or a studio having multiple contacts that report numbers with slight variations. But, that variation is usually insignificant. Edited by ShawnMR
  • Like 1

Yea, but they and you guys aren't entirely accurate every time either. For example, we all know that The Expendables 2 has made more than 50 mill in China. But that has not been updated at Mojo or here really. So the numbers might be accurate according to what has been reported, but that doesn't mean that all the numbers have been reported.

So it is the closet numbers but not necessarily the ones that distributors/exhibitors share money based on.

The domestic numbers that are reported on BOM and other box office sites is the revenue that was made for that time period. It's not a guess at what a movie made. It's what the studio reports as the actual revenue that was generated.For overseas, it's different. So many mistakes, and not so many people even caring to address the situation.
  • Like 1

• Founder / Operator

Yea, if you're referring to international numbers then "accuracy" isn't the word we're talking about. We report what the studios tell us, but when its not accurate or up-to-date that's a fault of their own 99% of the time.China in particular is a huge problem because of their poor box office reporting infrastructure, but that's something I'm sure the studios will change in the near future (as with other countries).

Edited by ShawnMR

Yea, if you're referring to international numbers then "accuracy" isn't the word we're talking about. We report what the studios tell us, but when its not accurate or up-to-date that's a fault of their own 99% of the time.China in particular is a huge problem because of their poor box office reporting infrastructure, but that's something I'm sure the studios will change in the near future (as with other countries).

That's exactly what I was saying. I just wanted to point out to people that just because a film might have a WW gross of say 300 million, doesn't mean it is exactly that number. There are difficulties at times getting accurate numbers from every distributor in ever region.