kayumanggi

2015 Discussion Thread: Universal wins the calendar year | SW: TFA - biggest film domestic, 3rd biggest film worldwide

Billion Dollar Locks 2015Age of UltronStar Wars Episode 7Billion Dollar Potentials 2015Despicable Me Minions (2 was close, this could easily expand)Hunger Games Mockingjay Part 2Fast and Furious 7Mission Impossible VJurassic WorldTommorowland

As we seen spin-off can't match the originals. Tomorrowland? Forgot Bond.

As we seen spin-off can't match the originals. Tomorrowland? Forgot Bond.

Oh yeah, I forgot bond, yeah that has million dollar potential.

Despicable Me Minions, the difference here is that the Minions are the pull factor for Despicable Me.  When you compare it to most spin-offs, they usually aren't based off the pull factor of their original movies.  It'll probably decrease Domestically, but I see it increasing internationally.

Tomorrowland is just a wild guess at a movie breaking out and pulling big numbers, if any original movie does it, it'll probably be it.

DOM:

1. SW7

2. AoU

3. MJ2

4. Bond 24

WW:

1. AoU

2. SW7

3. Bond 24

4. MJ2

RE: SW7

May not have the same popularity as the previous movies, even the prequels. The OS may still be huge. 

PHANTOM MENACE did $754M DOM adjusted. I won't be surprised if SW7 did less than $500M DOM.

Unless JJ bring something more than just flares & shakey cams (an annoying fad that needs to die a 

quick death!)

MJ2 is locked to be No 3. Bond 23 is something special. But domestically it will be monumentally challenging to top 

SF without villain as fantastic as Bardem.

I do agree reboots like JW & T5 GENESIS will not scale 1B WW height but I also don't see any potential breakouts from either. Those 2 movies may be exciting for fans but tiresome for regular audience. And after DRAGON2, SMAUG, WALKING WITH DINO & GODZILLA how many giant lizards GA can take? Pixar's GOOD DINO will have an even harder time to make an impression. GA wants DORY not Barney...

Edited by zackzack

May not have the same popularity as the previous movies, even the prequels. The OS may still be huge. 

PHANTOM MENACE did $754M DOM adjusted. I won't be surprised if SW7 did less than $500M DOM.

Unless JJ bring something more than just flares & shakey cams (an annoying fad that needs to die a 

quick death!)

I think the floor is around 480m. I expect AoU to have a considerable drop, no matter how good it is. It'll be close, but I'm predicting a SW win for now.

Oh yeah, I forgot bond, yeah that has million dollar potential.

Despicable Me Minions, the difference here is that the Minions are the pull factor for Despicable Me.  When you compare it to most spin-offs, they usually aren't based off the pull factor of their original movies.  It'll probably decrease Domestically, but I see it increasing internationally.

Tomorrowland is just a wild guess at a movie breaking out and pulling big numbers, if any original movie does it, it'll probably be it.

Doesn't equal 1B. You think Minions will do 602M OS?

I am positive we will have two $500M+ grossers for the first time.

Last 3 movies will have a negative effect. Too soon to tell as no promotion has begun. Though 500m not a lock.

Edited by a2knet