kayumanggi

2015 Discussion Thread: Universal wins the calendar year | SW: TFA - biggest film domestic, 3rd biggest film worldwide

Before people spout out more bullshit. Like fucking chewy and failmer.

The Avengers grossed 1.518 billion dollars.

Episode 1 grossed just over a billion dollars at 1.027 billion dollars. Phantom Menace was the most hyped movie of all time. I'm not blind to that. The Avengers had a bunch of hype too, but The Phantom Menace had a little bit more. Episode 1 does have a higher adjusted domestic take, but my argument for that is movies are much more expensive to go to nowadays. It's cheaper to watch movies online instead of spending 12-18 dollars to see it in a jammed theater. Piracy has taken away so much money away from the movie theaters. Plus it was cheaper to see a movie back in the 90's. People didn't have the abilities to pirate them like they do now. The fact The Avengers made as much money as it did is impressive. Even with all that said Phantom Menace adjusted Worldwide total doesn't beat The Avengers. Neither does Episode 2 or 3.

Episode 2 grossed 650 Million. Movie got crapped on by another marvel movie Spiderman(2002).

Episode 3 grossed 848 Million. Considered the best of the prequels, and my favorite of the prequels. 

Baumer says the novelty of The Avengers will wear off. When facts don't support this. 

After The Avengers, Iron Man 3 grossed over 2x what Iron Man 2 did. 50 percent higher.

After The Avengers, Thor 2:The Dark World grossed over 30% more than the previous Thor. That despite Thor 2 having mediocre WOM and having to go against 2 box office juggernauts in Frozen and Catching Fire.

After The Avengers, Captain America:Winter Soldier grossed over 50% more than the previous Captain America movie.

Guardians of the Galaxy is slated to open up to 70 mil OW. They aren't even part of The Avengers! If this movie had open about 10 years ago, I bet it would've done about 35-40 million tops. 

The fact all the phase 2 movies increased by an average of 43% from the phase 1 movies doesn't support the notion The Avengers novelty is "wearing off." In fact, the opposite is true. The novelty has only increased with more people lining up to see these movies, and more people becoming fans of the MCU movies. Hype is increasing. The novelty is not wearing off. I myself am a Star Wars fanboy. I've been reading Star Wars books for 20 years. I probably know more about Star Wars on this board than anyone. I'll be in line to see Episode 7 on opening day, but there is no proof Star Wars Episode 7 is going to beat Avengers:Age of Ultron. No matter how much hype Episode 7 has, it still won't match the hype of Episode 1. A movie that did not beat The Avengers at the box-office, even when adjusted for inflation(note:at the worldwide box office). Episode 7 will not beat Avengers: Age of Ultron at the box office. That I can guarantee.

Edited by Drunkzilla
  • Like 2

Before people spout out more bullshit. Like fucking chewy and failmer.The Avengers grossed 1.518 billion dollars.Episode 1 grossed just over a billion dollars at 1.027 billion dollars. Phantom Menace was the most hyped movie of all time. I'm not blind to that. The Avengers had a bunch of hype too, but The Phantom Menace had a little bit more. Episode 1 does have a higher adjusted domestic take, but my argument for that is movies are much more expensive to go to nowadays. It's cheaper to watch movies online instead of spending 12-18 dollars to see it in a jammed theater. Piracy has taken away so much money away from the movie theaters. Plus it was cheaper to see a movie back in the 90's. People didn't have the abilities to pirate them like they do now. The fact The Avengers made as much money as it did is impressive. Even with all that said Phantom Menace adjusted Worldwide total doesn't beat The Avengers. Neither does Episode 2 or 3.Episode 2 grossed 650 Million. Movie got crapped on by another marvel movie Spiderman(2002).Episode 3 grossed 848 Million. Considered the best of the prequels, and my favorite of the prequels. Baumer says the novelty of The Avengers will wear off. When facts don't support this. After The Avengers, Iron Man 3 grossed over 2x what Iron Man 2 did. 50 percent higher.After The Avengers, Thor 2:The Dark World grossed over 30% more than the previous Thor. That despite Thor 2 having mediocre WOM and having to go against 2 box office juggernauts in Frozen and Catching Fire.After The Avengers, Captain America:Winter Soldier grossed over 50% more than the previous Captain America movie.Guardians of the Galaxy is slated to open up to 70 mil OW. They aren't even part of The Avengers! If this movie had open about 10 years ago, I bet it would've done about 35-40 million tops. The fact all the phase 2 movies increased by an average of 43% from the phase 1 movies doesn't support the notion The Avengers novelty is "wearing off." In fact, the opposite is true. The novelty has only increased with more people lining up to see these movies, and more people becoming fans of the MCU movies. Hype is increasing. The novelty is not wearing off. I myself am a Star Wars fanboy. I've been reading Star Wars books for 20 years. I probably know more about Star Wars on this board than anyone. I'll be in line to see Episode 7 on opening day, but there is no proof Star Wars Episode 7 is going to beat Avengers:Age of Ultron. No matter how much hype Episode 7 has, it still won't match the hype of Episode 1. A movie that did not beat The Avengers at the box-office, even when adjusted for inflation(note:at the worldwide box office). Episode 7 will not beat Avengers: Age of Ultron at the box office. That I can guarantee.

TPM earning 900m in 1999 is more impressive than Avengers earning 1.5b now. TPM didn't have the expanding markets and overseas love for 3d on its side 15 years ago.Also you can't guarantee anything, we are just saying TA2 isn't locked to be the biggest films of the year in all markets even though it's likely. Edited by jessie

TPM earning 900m in 1999 is more impressive than Avengers earning 1.5b now. TPM didn't have the expanding markets and overseas love for 3d on its side 15 years ago.Also you can't guarantee anything, we are just saying TA2 isn't locked to be the biggest films of the year in all markets even though it has a good chance to be.

Not really the argument smart one. 

Not really the argument smart one.

Sure it is, TPM domestic take adjusted with 3d is probably about 775m so that alone would have boosted it's Worldwide take to 1.270m. If we were able to adjust it's overseas total as well then it would most likely be higher than TA and again, this is without taking expanding markets into consideration which has arguably shown a big increase over the past few 5 years.
  • Like 1

Sure it is, TPM domestic take adjusted with 3d is probably about 775m so that alone would have boosted it's Worldwide take to 1.270m. If we were able to adjust it's overseas total as well then it would most likely be higher than TA and again, this is without taking expanding markets into consideration which has arguably shown a big increase over the past few 5 years.

Nice fucking argument using hypotheticals. 

TPM earning 900m in 1999 is more impressive than Avengers earning 1.5b now. TPM didn't have the expanding markets and overseas love for 3d on its side 15 years ago.Also you can't guarantee anything, we are just saying TA2 isn't locked to be the biggest films of the year in all markets even though it's likely.

It's a two trips.

Yes it didn't have 3D, hence it had a cheaper price and usually cheaper price means, a lot more people will see it in the movies multiple time cause they can afford it with less financial constraints than today.

Today, the price of tickets are outrageous compared to the average wage, hence more people will try to get copies than paying to watch it in theaters...CA2 was the most downloaded movie in April.  This wouldn't have happen if it was released like 10years ago..  

Besides, though there were no expanding markets ( it started around TA and Avatar's time and have tremendously increased ) the market was less saturated than today with less competition, less movies released in a short period of times.  It enables movies staying a lot longer in theaters with softer theater counts weeks in, weeks out.

Again, there are both advantages and disadvantages from different movies released in different eras.  And like, it's a lot more difficult for a singer to sell CD's today than 15 years ago, it's also a lot more difficult to sell movies today than years ago for reasons i have just mentioned.

Edited by Ent
  • Like 2

DOM maybe but what guarantee it will do very well OS?

SW7 being overestimated make me remember The Hobbit and Star Trek 2.

Because it's a classic, even WW. Star Wars is NOTHING like Star Trek or even The Hobbit. This is decades of history.

• Like 2