grey ghost

When are audiences going to get tired of superhero movies?

Yes they will eventually it will happen. They wont go away completely but instead of 10 a year there might be 3-5

I think 3-5 is about the norm now.  Unless you wanna really include stuff like A History of Violence, Road to Perdition, Men in Black, Cowboys and Aliens, Wanted, etc.

I know most members on here are younger than me, but I remember the time when there were NO CBMs out there. And since I was a comic fan since the early 80s, I love being inundated now.

• Like 4

Westerns have been around a century and despite the word that it died many times ago, the genre is still out there (see the Lone Ranger coming soon) so I doubt Comic Book movies will never fade away now that VFX can allow the most craziest stuff ever put on pages. It's pulp culture and most popular BO success are pulp culture. Like Alpha said, comic book movies are perfect recipe for blockbusters: Massive action, heroism (american values vector), romance, big merchandising, franchise, catter to people from 7 to 60 including tweens, women and adults.(Especially, Baby Boomers who grew up immersed in pulp culture and 30 years-old somethin' watching cartoons during their childhood, disguising as their favorite hero at Halloween parties)

Edited by dashrendar44

I have nothing against comic book movies, I like Watchmen, Sin City, V for Vendetta... What I don't like are the generic (and boring) superhero flicks that keep generating sequels and more sequels with nothing new to offer. Batman movies have been around for more than 20 years and people aren't bored yet, I don't think people will get tired of superhero movies soon if sequels and reboots keep coming.

Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 1

As noted picking on SH films is silly. 

We could do a list of how many RomComs are done and it would be 5-8 any given year for probably the last 2yrs easily.

Same for horror films. What about "serious" indie fare, we get loaded up with those in a tight bunching from Oct-December and I don't see any complaints. 

What the SH genre has over others is it's ability to play out over other genres and we will see more of that in the coming years.

Nolan's Batman plays things in a slight mob/gang type atmosphere. You could replace the characters with those from the Untouchables and the structure of the film works.

Iron Man plays as a story about redemption. Take out the suit of armor, replace it with another "good deed" and it's Rain Man.

Thor is a fantasy movie.

Captain America 2 is a political thriller

Blade, Ghost Riders would be horror

Punisher is any vengeance flick(which still boggles why it didn't do better)

Hulk is about duality and finding peace within regardless.

So many more...SH genre encompasses many settings, tones and messages that they aren't going to go away "just like the Western" cause the Western had a limited amount of stories to tell from only a few vantage points. 

If the general audience ever gets tired of superhero movies, it'll be DC's fault.  Marvel is constantly giving us new characters whereas DC, for the past 35 years, have given us Superman movies and Batman movies... and Superman spin-offs... and Batman spin-offs.  And when they finally decide to mix things up... they give us a movie with... wait for it... Superman AND Batman.

Yeah, yeah, they gave us Green Lantern but..

• Like 3

I don't SH movies will go away because I don't see this as a fad. Fads go away. Trends stay. Now, we might get less SH films in a year, but I think they are here to stay for a long, long time. We still get horror, romance, comedy, sci-fi films, etc. I don't think Western is a fair comparison. One example isn't evidence of what is going to happen in the future.

Hi people, I'm JGAR and this is my first post on this forums. As my first post dedicated to this thread, I think audiences WILL get tired when Superhero movies start to suck and are at a point of having many movies of them in a year. Some reboots/remakes, especially The Amazing Spider-Man and The Incredible Hulk, should've never happened and rebooted the Franchises they are rebooting in TV or years later. For example, SONY should've just gave the rights back to Marvel and let them reboot Spider-Man in the MCU, maybe on TV (which is a lot better seeing that a TV Series can cover over the entire Spider-Man Universe). The Incredible Hulk on the other hand, would be fine coming out 2 or 3 years later or so, or maybe just don't make the movie and introduce Bruce Banner/The Hulk in The Avengers. Also, if the 3-quel curse is real and is still present, then prepare for dissapointments after Phase 2 is done.