The Toymaker

Do you want to see James Bond portrayed with a different ethnicity?

Do you want a black James Bond?  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a black James Bond?

2. 2. Do you think that a black Bond would make 007 bomb at the box office?

Why?We have seen Felix and M change Gender and Colour before, why not Bond? Do you think people are still hung up about Colour like they were in the 50s?

stop throwing the racism card around. It's getting tiring. Saying they prefer that Bond remain white is not racist no matter which way you spin it. The more people throw words like racism around so freely, the faster it will lose its meaning Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

Sorry, saying things are not like they were in the 50s is not throwing around the racism card. It's just stating a fact because it has happened. Asking if you're OK with an iconic character possibly changing races is throwing around the racism card because it hasn't happened.

Saying that things have changed is accepting reality while saying things shouldn't change is fearing reality.

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 1

Sorry, saying things are not like they were in the 50s is not throwing around the racism card. It's just stating a fact because it has happened. Asking if you're OK with an iconic character possibly changing races is throwing around the racism card because it hasn't happened.

Saying that things have changed is accepting reality while saying things shouldn't change is fearing reality.

yes, when saying you would prefer James Bond stay white and you are told "oh stop thinking like it is the 1950s!". It's pretty much the same thing

It would be racist if you said "I don't want any black people to appear in a James Bond movie ever" , but saying that you prefer James Bond remain white? Ridiculous. And I am targeting these comments at the people who think that they should just change his race for the sake of it "Oh he's been white all this time let's change him to be black". But why?

• Like 1

yes, when saying you would prefer James Bond stay white and you are told "oh stop thinking like it is the 1950s!". It's pretty much the same thingIt would be racist if you said "I don't want any black people to appear in a James Bond movie ever" , but saying that you prefer James Bond remain white? Ridiculous. And I am targeting these comments at the people who think that they should just change his race for the sake of it "Oh he's been white all this time let's change him to be black". But why?

Because to stop racism, one must sacrifice Bond as a character. Wait, no-one has asked for a black bond, so it makes this all very pointless and brings up racism that doesn't need bringing up....Basically the least racist thing to do right now is keep bond white and never mention this again. :)

yes, when saying you would prefer James Bond stay white and you are told "oh stop thinking like it is the 1950s!". It's pretty much the same thingIt would be racist if you said "I don't want any black people to appear in a James Bond movie ever" , but saying that you prefer James Bond remain white? Ridiculous. And I am targeting these comments at the people who think that they should just change his race for the sake of it "Oh he's been white all this time let's change him to be black". But why?

No-one is saying 'stop thinking like its the 50's'What we are saying that as Bond is now set in the year 2012+ it is perfectly believable for a black bond to exist compared to the 1950's when the original character was developed.Edit: I'm also pretty sure there hasn't been a single post in this entire thread saying that we should make Bond Black either just for the sake of it. What has been said is that if the most charming suave and all round bad-ass united kingdom guy happened to be black, his colour shouldn't stop him getting the role. Edited by Phil in the Skyfall

yes, when saying you would prefer James Bond stay white and you are told "oh stop thinking like it is the 1950s!". It's pretty much the same thing

It would be racist if you said "I don't want any black people to appear in a James Bond movie ever" , but saying that you prefer James Bond remain white? Ridiculous. And I am targeting these comments at the people who think that they should just change his race for the sake of it "Oh he's been white all this time let's change him to be black". But why?

Again, who is saying that? If you're gonna make that charge, please quote the person who said it. Otherwise you're just exaggerating things to your favor.

Lets take a moment to examine the hilarious circular logic in this thread. "What can a black Bond bring to the screen that white Bond can't?" Nothing. "What can a white bond bring to the screen that a black can't?" Nothing.Thats right, nothing. So why change a 50 year old character's look for no particular reason? Let's cast a white guy for a new Blade trilogy!

• Like 1

Lets take a moment to examine the hilarious circular logic in this thread. "What can a black Bond bring to the screen that white Bond can't?" Nothing. "What can a white bond bring to the screen that a black can't?" Nothing.

Thats right, nothing. So why change a 50 year old character's look for no particular reason? Let's cast a white guy for a new Blade trilogy!

A good reason would be if the person(regardless of color) was the best actor for the series at the time. I personally think changing Bond's ethnicity right after Craig would be a misstep as it would at least hurt grosses in the short term. But if the series takes a dip in popularity and it's the right time for a change, I think it could work in the long run if the actor is so good in the role, you forget the change.

It would be great if the color of someone's skin was not a factor in anything, but that's just not reality yet.

• Like 1

I generally don't care if they maintain a status quo with Bond but it's laughable that people are having hissy fit with the notion of a black bond or hispanic or even Asian. If the guy is the best fit whatever his race then he should be the next Bond.

Edited by druv10
  • Like 1

changing the actor because the actor of the different ethnicity was far and away the best actor that auditioned for the role is one thing. Changing it just for the sake of it or in some misguided notion that changing the actor's race will make the character appeal more to that race is ridiculous

changing the actor because the actor of the different ethnicity was far and away the best actor that auditioned for the role is one thing. Changing it just for the sake of it or in some misguided notion that changing the actor's race will make the character appeal more to that race is ridiculous

Again who is saying that? Who is saying the next Bond SHOULD be black?You are arguing against an opponent who doesn't exist and then patting yourself on the back for defeating him.

Funnily enough, this has happened before:

This Asian actress:

Posted Image

Was replaced by this white actress on One Life to Live in the 90s:

Posted Image

And she still plays the character to this day on General Hospital.

Don't ask me how I know these things. :P

How do you know these things?
  • Like 1