MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

CJohn

Star Wars Episode IX | December 20 2019 | JJ Abrams to direct

The problem with IX buzz or lack thereof is that SW fandom is still dominated by old-time SW fans who are more interested in Luke making a Gandalf the White type of resurrection, wielding the green and taking over as the main hero from Rey, than however fuck Finn and Poe are going to defeat Hux. So since Luke is dead, discussion about 1000 ways he can come back is not gonna go far and is bound to quickly revert to Damn You, Ruin Roundhead. As for new(er) fans, they simply aren't loyal enough to discuss the next installment or buy merch cause they have plenty of alternative to choose from (MCU, DCEU, etc plus other media such as GoT, games, etc) so their loyalties aren't just divided between various franchises but also prioritized and hierarchic with SW not necessary being #1. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

The amount of projection here is mind-boggling. They resurrected Fisher footage so that she can get a proper goodbye. You think they are just going to kill her offscreen or just forget that she ever existed? You guys want more of the OT characters but also think that more of the OT characters means "Lucasfilms is scared". Also, I have no clue how you thought Luke would never appear again after TLJ. The movie clearly hinted that he will come back as a force projection.

Star Wars never had trouble selling toys until the arrival of Finn, Poe, Rose, Jyn, Cassian, and other Bargain Bin Favorites. And don't even bother with "kids are now into games" cause Marvel has no problem selling Shuri and company toys and Barbie is still kicking ass as is Disney Princess Toy Line. So new characters are a problem which ties in with lack of discussion about IX and discussion prior to TLJ release being mostly centered around which OT character is Rey's daddy, whether Luke would wield the green, whether Snoke was ______(insert OT/PT character) and whether Rey and Kylo would fuck. So Top TLJ Pre-Release Topics heavily revolved around OT/PT characters, not new characters independent of OT/PT ties/legacy. 

Edited by Valonqar

45 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

You getting sweaty and nervous after how badly you got  Solo wrong and look to be at reading the tea leaves in general.

Excitement for all things Star Wars has been depressed by TLJ, it is my gut feeling and I think it to be true. Whenever Star Wars is brought up online or even in general conversation, it is not about the future but about how great or horrible the direction of Star Wars is currently going on. 

I remember the buildup to ROTS and the premise of Vader kept attention sky high and it was going to be the top film of 2005 no matter what.

Going into 2019, I think most of the "geekdom" and general audience attention is to how the Avengers will beat Thanos then about whatever Episode 9 will be about. Of course, excitement will go up by trailer but as of now I don't see this pulling off a ROTS or ROTJ at all.

Huh?

Where does this rubbish come from?

First of all, I didn't get things about Solo wrong, nor about "reading tea leaves" in general, because I tend to not even make predictions. You, on the other hand, like to throw a ton of stuff at a wall and then pretend how awesome you are at predicting when once in a blue moon you didn't get it wrong.

Secondly, I don't get nervous about this stuff at all. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about all that stuff because it doesn't affect me personally. You, on the other hand, seems to have a desperate need to validify your own opinions for no apparent reason. Unlike you, I don't see he need to bash or mock movies, or try to make up weird reasons as for why something was ruined just because I didn't like it.

Thing is, you completely ignore the circumstances. And your post above was proof of that. You directly compared two completely different situations while not even mentioning that things were bound to be different. That is simply disingenuous.

Needless to say, whether a movie is going to be the top film of the year or not doesn't mean a whole lot either. ROTS may have finished no.1 in 2005, but both 2004 and 2006 had a movie that made more money. And just like that, making 375m would have been enough to finish first in 2014, but Jurassic World ended up only in second place a year later, while making 650m. Thus, being the biggest in a specific year is utterly meaningless, as it doesn't show the entire picture at all.

The mere existence of other hyped movies is completely irrelevant to all that. A movie isn't responsible for other movies that are released in the same year. Just like a legendary sports star isn't suddenly less great just because another sports star who might be even a tiny bit better is around at the same time. Their status depends on their level of play compared to everyone or the history of the sport, not by whether there was another superstar around at the same time.

Fact is, it is completely unknown how big the hype for IX will be. Gut feelings don't matter one bit, especially when they ignore the actual circumstances. Which is why - like I said - you wait until you actually have something to base a judgement on. I tend to prefer facts and actual data that at least hints at what is going on. You seems to prefer to just making things up instead. It's really funny how you get all flustered and put words into my mouth, merely because I dared to state that maybe it would be best to wait until there is actual data to judge things by. In no way did I state that there couldn't possibly be less hype for IX, but you ignored all that, put words into my mouth and went on one of your usual insulting rants.

Edited by George Parr
  • Haha 1

Hey guys,

Instead of continuously updating this thread just to complain and whine about how Star Wars is dead, and how Disney destroyed the fandom or the franchise, or whatever whiny, pathetic concern trolling y'all are spewing out (btw mods, last time I checked, trolling, which concern trolling does fall under, is a violation of the guidelines), can you actually update the thread when there's...y'know, relevant information that's actually discussion-worthy?

Because updating this thread with nothing but obnoxious garbage that offers nothing of value to this site, or the world for that matter, is not what I want to see whenever I pop in here.

• Like 12
  • Haha 1

There was a photo leak from the set that generated exactly ZERO response. There are other things from the set too but considering the first leak fiasco, doubtful that posting other stuff would fare better. But sure, do you want some real spoilers in spoiler tags? is it even allowed?

36 minutes ago, CoolEric258 said:

Hey guys,

Instead of continuously updating this thread just to complain and whine about how Star Wars is dead, and how Disney destroyed the fandom or the franchise, or whatever whiny, pathetic concern trolling y'all are spewing out (btw mods, last time I checked, trolling, which concern trolling does fall under, is a violation of the guidelines), can you actually update the thread when there's...y'know, relevant information that's actually discussion-worthy?

Because updating this thread with nothing but obnoxious garbage that offers nothing of value to this site, or the world for that matter, is not what I want to see whenever I pop in here.

I am sorry not everyone is in the TLJ is the best Star Wars movie Circle Jerk for your pleasure.

Reality is many people on this thread included yourself said TLJ backlash was small and the film will become more liked over time.

It seems to me Infinity Wars was the film to be the Empire Strikes Back of the decade and not TLJ  :)

Edited by Lordmandeep

53 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Huh?

Where does this rubbish come from?

First of all, I didn't get things about Solo wrong, nor about "reading tea leaves" in general, because I tend to not even make predictions. You, on the other hand, like to throw a ton of stuff at a wall and then pretend how awesome you are at predicting when once in a blue moon you didn't get it wrong.

Secondly, I don't get nervous about this stuff at all. Quite frankly, I couldn't care less about all that stuff because it doesn't affect me personally. You, on the other hand, seems to have a desperate need to validify your own opinions for no apparent reason. Unlike you, I don't see he need to bash or mock movies, or try to make up weird reasons as for why something was ruined just because I didn't like it.

Thing is, you completely ignore the circumstances. And your post above was proof of that. You directly compared two completely different situations while not even mentioning that things were bound to be different. That is simply disingenuous.

Needless to say, whether a movie is going to be the top film of the year or not doesn't mean a whole lot either. ROTS may have finished no.1 in 2005, but both 2004 and 2006 had a movie that made more money. And just like that, making 375m would have been enough to finish first in 2014, but Jurassic World ended up only in second place a year later, while making 650m. Thus, being the biggest in a specific year is utterly meaningless, as it doesn't show the entire picture at all.

The mere existence of other hyped movies is completely irrelevant to all that. A movie isn't responsible for other movies that are released in the same year. Just like a legendary sports star isn't suddenly less great just because another sports star who might be even a tiny bit better is around at the same time. Their status depends on their level of play compared to everyone or the history of the sport, not by whether there was another superstar around at the same time.

Fact is, it is completely unknown how big the hype for IX will be. Gut feelings don't matter one bit, especially when they ignore the actual circumstances. Which is why - like I said - you wait until you actually have something to base a judgement on. I tend to prefer facts and actual data that at least hints at what is going on. You seems to prefer to just making things up instead. It's really funny how you get all flustered and put words into my mouth, merely because I dared to state that maybe it would be best to wait until there is actual data to judge things by. In no way did I state that there couldn't possibly be less hype for IX, but you ignored all that, put words into my mouth and went on one of your usual insulting rants.

I dont care about this stuff

Writes a long response... 

You are a funny guy :)

Its simple logic, TLJ fans and others are like 'fuck the fans..., who dont like this masterpiece'. Fans are less excited, don't watch the film more than once, dont take a long casual from friends and family, don't really hype up the movie as much which all equals lower box office then what could have been. That is why I am not the most optimistic on SW9 and there are many franchises that been down this path. 

Edited by Lordmandeep

What IX needs is a major hook. Not a "this is the last Skywalker saga film" because that won't generate much interest in the casual fan. We all know there are more SW movies coming out set in a different time.

ROTS had the Obi vs Ani battle we had waited 20 years to see.  It also has the transformation of Palpatine to Emperor and Anakin to Vader.

ROTJ had the ultimate showdown between Luke and Vader, the resolution of the "I am your father" and rescue of Han. The interest in SW was still way high at that point also.

Going into IX, there isn't much of a hook or urgency. The movie will still do well, but at the current rate, it won't get to TLJ's numbers and may not hit $600 million UNLESS they really get creative with marketing. And that is a difficult task with all the attention on other films next year.

Who is Rey? Why is she so important? That may be their key. Rey has already defeated Kylo once so the water has been poured on that. They will have to re-tap into nostalgia somehow and JJ is the guy to do it. With a creative angle, tagline, and terrific marketing, they can push IX to $600 million domestic which would be a GREAT way to finish off this trilogy. If they can push it past TLJ, it would be icing on the cake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I am sorry not everyone is in the TLJ is the best Star Wars movie Circle Jerk for your pleasure.

Reality is many people on this thread included yourself said TLJ backlash was small and the film will become more liked over time.

It seems to me Infinity Wars was the film to be the Empire Strikes Back of the decade and not TLJ  :)

The film received universal acclaim from critics, and from my own experience SW fans who are cinephiles and don’t care more about Super-Jedi Luke seem to enjoy TLJ. The movie also sparked some great essays/discussions about several aspects and themes, mainly Rey/Kylo symbolism and Luke‘s arc. 

Edited by Giesi

1 hour ago, CoolEric258 said:

Hey guys,

What the fuck did I just say?

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

There was a photo leak from the set that generated exactly ZERO response. There are other things from the set too but considering the first leak fiasco, doubtful that posting other stuff would fare better. But sure, do you want some real spoilers in spoiler tags? is it even allowed?

Posting spoilers, leaks, etc, even in tags, is not allowed.

Nearly a year later and y’all still won’t shut the fuck up about TLJ.  You're aware other movies exist, right?

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

Nearly a year later and y’all still won’t shut the fuck up about TLJ.  You're aware other movies exist, right?

It it doesn’t take long to post in a thread honestly 

Just ban Lordmandeep from this thread. The poor horse has been beaten brutally to death and now the corpse is being violated.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

It it doesn’t take long to post in a thread honestly 

Yes, and that doesn’t make it any less annoying.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

And don't even bother with "kids are now into games" cause Marvel has no problem selling Shuri and company toys and Barbie is still kicking ass as is Disney Princess Toy Line. 

No, I am going to bother using that argument because merchandise has plummeted not just for Star Wars toys but also for many other types of toys, especially the girls brands (except for Barbie). Not only that but Mattel and Hasbro have had huge drops in sales as whole companies. http://fortune.com/2018/03/28/hasbro-star-wars-toys/

There are a multitude of reasons why Star Wars toys (along with a lot of the other brands) had a drop in sales last year, the biggest one being closing of Toys R Us. 

Also, I don't think there really is any official Shuri merch. 

There was also a drop in the number of shipments. More stuff on that here. It also mentions that Cars had a drop in merchandise sales and am pretty sure it is mentioned elsewhere that Frozen merch did too. Both of which are merchandise juggernauts like SWhttps://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-last-jedi-toy-shipments-down-sharply-force-awakens-1069479

Edited by lorddemaxus
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

Posting spoilers, leaks, etc, even in tags, is not allowed.

Ok, thanks. had to check cause I've noticed that set leaks are posted freely in MCU and DCEU threads. So file this thread until official title reveal sometimes earlier next year and then poster + teaser in April (Chicago Celebration). 

1 hour ago, Giesi said:

The film received universal acclaim from critics, and from my own experience SW fans who are cinephiles and care more about Super-Jedi Luke seem to enjoy TLJ. The movie also sparked some great essays/discussions about several aspects and themes, mainly Rey/Kylo symbolism and Luke‘s arc. 

My point is not "no one likes TLJ", I have never said that.

The issue is people like yourself and many others on here have said last year that the divisive reaction from the fanbase will change to a realization of this being a great film and one of the best Star Wars films.

I do not think that has happened and the fanbase is still bitterly divided as ever.

Plus good reviews and universal acclaim don't mean much in how a film is seen overall because using Critic Scores, Ant Man 2 should be seen as better then IW but it is not, not even close. Also, we know that the audience reception and critical reception for TLJ is one of the biggest ever for any modern-day blockbuster. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Not Cool 1