CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

yeah, it's pointless to compare TROS to EG. Not the same level and that was perfectly predictable and is perfectly normal. ST maxed out with TFA. EG is a culmination of constant decade-long build-up. Simply 2 different trajectories. Also, SW didn't build up to ST. It ended with ROTJ. Then got prequels. Then sequels. there was never End of the Saga build up except in 1983.

I feel like we should never compare (or worse: expect) upcomings films to match or even exceed the highest-grossing-movie of all time. It only paves the way for future disappointment, that no one needs.

Episode IX should be seen/compared only to the other Disney SW films, especially ofc Episode VII and VIII. Bar for success for me personally is topping Last Jedi.

• Like 5

39 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

that's bullshit. Comparing gross with cost of acquisition. Disney would have got only $1.9 Billion from box office of these 4 films, and they spend easily $1.75-2 Billion in making and releasing these 4 films. Say another $0.8-1 Billion from non Theatrical revenues, there's still $3 Billion to recover. And that's at 2012 dollar, a simple 12% p.a. interest make $3 Billion, $6 Billion at today's money. 

Force Awaken alone non theatrical revenues were probably significantly higher than 800M, Sony made 682 million on Spider Man 3 in non theatrical revenues and they had access to what ? 50% of the merchandising revenues on it ? And Spider Man 3 was arguably not half of what Force Awaken was movie wise and has popular Spider Man merchandise were, it was not close to the Star Wars during the 2014-2016 SW mania. Non theatrical of SW7 alone could have went well above the billion mark.

They were running around 300-500M in Disney pocket a year in licensing alone around that time apparently (depending by how much of the 5 billion in gross sales end up in licensing fee %):

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/star-wars-merchandise-sales-could-819004

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

In the case of the OT and the PT, the first film was the highest grossing one in each trilogy. There’s no reason to assume that the same won’t hold true for the ST. With that said, the respective third movies in the previous two trilogies did make more than the second film in each respective trilogy, so as long as the same holds true for TRoS, that would suggest that the ST wouldn’t have done any long term harm to the franchise after all. 

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I'm here for Reylo singing and running around trees . :stirthepot: Dew it, Disney India! 

tenor.gif

well not that good anyway.

17 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I feel like we should never compare (or worse: expect) upcomings films to match or even exceed the highest-grossing-movie of all time. It only paves the way for future disappointment, that no one needs.

Episode IX should be seen/compared only to the other Disney SW films, especially ofc Episode VII and VIII. Bar for success for me personally is topping Last Jedi.

Agreed. EG is out of reach (though Avatar threads will be all about beating EG :lol:) so lets focus on over/under TLK WW. 

28 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah that was my point, that whether Toy and Gaming market enough for $4 Billion.

Merch is certainly enough. They probably made back all the money just from the merch sales.

My Personal Prediction:

OW: $184.12M

DO: $571.7M (46.2%)

WW: $1.237B

I have better legs than Charlie because I dont believe this film will be nearly as divisive as TLJ since JJ is behind it. I mostly agree with his opening weekend cause I think his evaluation of the hype behind it is pretty accurate.

They totally changed Box Office Mojo. I dont know yet how i shall feel towards this ... i kind of loved the "old internet" look of it until now.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

They totally changed Box Office Mojo. I dont know yet how i shall feel towards this ... i kind of loved the "old internet" look of it until now.

The changes are for the worse. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Yeah that was my point, that whether Toy and Gaming market enough for $4 Billion.

There was an interesting boost in the licensing segment around 2015-2016 for them (2014 uptick was Frozen I think):

https://www.statista.com/statistics/294132/consumer-product-revenue-of-the-walt-disney-company-by-segment/

I do not think they make a nice breakdown but they went from 2.54B in licensing in 2014 to 3.82 billion in 2016 (and you have Cars/Frozen slowing down compensate as well in there) + retail sales gaining 250M as well, I am not sure it is enough for the 4B, but probably will end up more than enough life time for the 2 Billion in cash, could depend on how well theme park goes.

4 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The changes are for the worse. 

After checking the site now for a few minutes, yeah, its shite.

I don't think anyone was even dreaming of TROS WW > Endgame WW

But TROS DOM > Endgame DOM isn't impossible

Edited by Royce

1 minute ago, Royce said:

I don't think anyone was even dreaming of TROS WW > Endgame WW

But TROS DOM > Endgame DOM isn't impossible

It is incredibly unlikely.  There is a lot of hype for this movie but it isn't Endgame hype.  $700-750M should be the target if the movie is really well liked and received.

• Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

Disney’s Star Tours ride getting a Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker upgrade

https://www.polygon.com/star-wars/2019/10/23/20928792/star-tours-rise-of-skywalker-update

Between this and the Rise of Resistance ride not coming out for a couple more months my WDW visit in three days is getting more and more short-circuited

• Sad 1

Just now, 4815162342 said:

Between this and the Rise of Resistance ride not coming out for a couple more months my WDW visit in three days is getting more and more short-circuited

All the more evidence you need that the holidays really are the best time to visit Disney World. 

37 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

After checking the site now for a few minutes, yeah, its shite.

The worst thing about it is that you now have to have an IMDb Pro account just to have access to certain features that were readily available on the site in the past. It’s just all around terrible. 

• Astonished 1

Man I just love it when people casually watch speculation videos that mention leaks... Can’t escape spoilers even when I go mostly dark on the internet

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Man I just love it when people casually watch speculation videos that mention leaks... Can’t escape spoilers even when I go mostly dark on the internet

I have limited myself to just watching trailer reaction videos at this point.  I ain’t touching speculation with a 10 ft pole now, because you never know how much info that someone “speculating” actually knows. 

Im actually impressed that I avoided those leaked images yesterday.  Thanks @Valonqar for the heads up or I probably would have been screwed. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

now that they are confirmed, speculation is going to be peppered with them because more people are compelled to check them out to be included in conversation. Avoid YT, twitter (they don't give a shit) and places like any reddit sub (speculation is literally leaks with theories about leaks) or Forcenet where leaks are allowed in the whole TROS Forum, not just designated Spoiler thread. 

@Knights of Ren you're welcome but exercise caution all the way for twitter and YT don't care. they spoil without any attempt to warn.

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

I'm here for Reylo singing and running around trees . :stirthepot: Dew it, Disney India! 

tenor.gif

I would pay all the money to watch that