Jump to content
CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

If it was ahead of either they'd have said it - especially if it was ahead of AEG and was breaking records.  Fandango said it was ahead of TFA for a few hours but obviously not 24 hrs of they'd have said so.  They didn't even say it was ahead of TLJ for 24 hours. 

It was probably ahead of TLJ for 24 hours but they wanted the "Best ever!" headline, that is why they don't give more details.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way, I suspect the 24 hour number is pretty close to TLJ, whether over or under honestly doesn't make a huge difference.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as it beats TLJ, I really don't care what else it does.  If anyone thinks it will get anywhere near TFA or AE then they are just playing themselves.   Beating TLJ is a very realistic and good goal to have. 

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

As long as it beats TLJ, I really don't care what else it does.  If anyone thinks it will get anywhere near TFA or AE then they are just playing themselves.   Beating TLJ is a very realistic and good goal to have. 

It’s happening. By how much is what it’s hard to guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Talk about spin now with Fandango only wanting to talk about the first hour or fews data and discarding the rest of the day. Atom has it ahead of...Aquaman, which did an opening of $67.9M with a preview of $13.7M.

 

BfSVyzK.png

 

The month isn't over yet, but so far no real big movement in the Google Search interest numbers.

 

"Star Wars" costumes are currently #37 in Halloween Costume searches.

 

Deadline - ‘Star Wars: The Force Awakens’ Ticket Presales Crash Fandango & Others (October 19, 2015)

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
added link to crashes for TFA ticket sales

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

As long as it beats TLJ, I really don't care what else it does.  If anyone thinks it will get anywhere near TFA or AE then they are just playing themselves.   Beating TLJ is a very realistic and good goal to have. 

if TRoS is a good movie i least hope it beats that soulless cash grab TLK remake, that should be the real goal, every other Disney Saga film was #1 Film of the year WW, AEG is out of reach cause of China though

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

if TRoS is a good movie i least hope it beats that soulless cash grab TLK remake, that should be the real goal, every other Disney Saga film was #1 Film of the year WW, AEG is out of reach cause of China though

Yea that seems fair enough.  Will be challenging, but it def deserves to be higher than TLK.  LOL at some people I keep seeing say that F2>TROS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

if TRoS is a good movie i least hope it beats that soulless cash grab TLK remake, that should be the real goal, every other Disney Saga film was #1 Film of the year WW, AEG is out of reach cause of China though

Even if you remove china gross from Endgame WW gross, SW9 wont come close to it. Even SW7 is lower than Endgame WW - china. SW9 wont come close to SW7 for many reasons.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

Talk about spin now with Fandango only wanting to talk about the first hour or fews data and discarding the rest of the day which they don't do with other big movies of the past. Atom has it ahead of...Aquaman, which did an opening of $67.9M with a preview of $13.7M.

 

Talking about a spin while spinning things yourself...

 

You do realise that Aquaman was this high in the charts of Atom because Atom had exclusive rights to the pre-release, yes?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Talking about a spin while spinning things yourself...

 

You do realise that Aquaman was this high in the charts of Atom because Atom had exclusive rights to the pre-release, yes?

Yes that's why it's not very useful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rian Johnson has set things up nicely. 

  • Like 6
  • Astonished 2
  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

Yes that's why it's not very useful.

Then why did you mention it as if it were?

 

And as for the general point of your original post: Maybe you could have zoomed in, that way you would have recognized that your statement was wrong. There has indeed been a significant uptick, but as google itself points out: the data isn't complete yet, which is the reason why it doesn't show up in your chart. Therefore it makes no sense to talk about it yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Then why did you mention it as if it were?

 

And as for the general point of your original post: Maybe you could have zoomed in, that way you would have recognized that your statement was wrong. There has indeed been a significant uptick, but as google itself points out: the data isn't complete yet, which is the reason why it doesn't show up in your chart. Therefore it makes no sense to talk about it yet.

Because Deadline and Atom said that it is. They're the ones that came up with it and promoted it, it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm commenting upon it in a 'tut tut' sort of way. Sorry if that didn't come across.

 

As for the latter, we'll just have to see, which I mentioned. The uptick on the trailer/ticket day21st (Monday) was not that big. The rest of days I don't expect to make a huge difference. Maybe best case scenario a 10 instead of a 9 for October in that comparison.

 

This is TLJ's month of October:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2017-10-01 2017-10-31&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F06mmr

This is TROS's month of October (so far):

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2019-10-01 2019-10-31&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F06mmr

Compare it to the floor for each within their relative months.

Edited by MagnarTheGreat
fixed link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

 

As for the latter, we'll just have to see, which I mentioned. The uptick on the trailer/ticket day21st (Monday) was not that big. The rest of days I don't expect to make a huge difference. Maybe best case scenario a 10 instead of a 9 for October in that comparison.

 

This is TROS's month of October (so far):

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2019-10-01 2019-10-31&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F06mmr

Wait a couple more days to see the real bump this month.

 

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=now 7-d&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F06mmr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People expect so much from star wars box office wise. 
TFA did way better than anyone expected frankly

The performance of AOTC/ROTS was below the best blockbusters of the 00's. 

At least TLJ was #1 for the year. I can't imagine what the doom and gloom must have been like when AOTC was beaten by spider man 1 lol Actually AOTC was THIRD for the year...behind LOTR:TT too. And ROTS was lucky Shrek/POTC did not release its year or it would not have been #1

I honestly thought TFA would do around $500-600mill domestic max. It doing so well has led to ridiculous pressure for TLJ & TROS to somehow do similar numbers

Fact is apart from TPM/TFA...star wars saga has not even been at the top of the year box office wise whenever it releases. 

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Every SW trailer has the same light sabre battle with different images superimposed on the background.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darthdevidem01 said:

People expect so much from star wars box office wise. 
TFA did way better than anyone expected frankly

The performance of AOTC/ROTS was below the best blockbusters of the 00's. 

At least TLJ was #1 for the year. I can't imagine what the doom and gloom must have been like when AOTC was beaten by spider man 1 lol Actually AOTC was THIRD for the year...behind LOTR:TT too. And ROTS was lucky Shrek/POTC did not release its year or it would not have been #1

I honestly thought TFA would do around $500-600mill domestic max. It doing so well has led to ridiculous pressure for TLJ & TROS to somehow do similar numbers

Fact is apart from TPM/TFA...star wars saga has not even been at the top of the year box office wise whenever it releases. 

Of the Saga movies, only AOTC didn't finish first for the years. Solo also didn't finish first, but it's not a Saga film. Still though, TROS dropping below TLJ isn't unrealistic, nor is it performing slightly better than TLJ. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If TRoS opens above TLJ then I’ll be pleasantly surprised as I’ve had it opening below TLJ for quite some time now. The difference being that it would have better legs and therefore out gross TLJ in the end both DOM and WW. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Fact is apart from TPM/TFA...star wars saga has not even been at the top of the year box office wise whenever it releases. 

 

I agree with most of your post, but this here is wrong. Apart from AOTC and Solo, every SW film has so far been the highest-grossing movie of its year - DOM and WW.

 

Edit: Rogue One was actually behing Civil War in 2016 Worldwide. My mistake, but that one also wasnt a main Saga SW film.

Edited by Brainbug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

I agree with most of your post, but this here is wrong. Apart from AOTC and Solo, every SW film has so far been the highest-grossing movie of its year

Let me check on BOM.

 

Oh right... :whosad:

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.