CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Nope. If that was the case than EG would have dropped for she was barely in it. And new characters were never going to be as big draw as OG. lets not pretend that she's the next Tony or Cap. Not yet anyway since reviews singled out other cast + cat in her movie. 

She didn't hurt but she certainly didn't significantly help the boxoffice jump between IW and EG. That's mostly on goodwill from IW set up and OG closure with a little bit of synergy with CM. maybe I misunderstood you and you are not trying to over-credit her at the expense of other factors but it read like that to me.

What I'm saying is the movie still being out in theaters and her being a main character kept people's interest in End Game at a high level for months. Sure some whiny butthurt people didn't like her but that effect was neglible.

• Not Cool 1

23 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The C3PO moment is hollow because he’s had about three lines in this trilogy so far and hasn’t really interacted with the new characters 

Yep! i'm sure these characters interacted off screen but I wish we actually saw some of that stuff. Entire TLJ wasted without any big emotional moments between main cast other than in the end

10 minutes ago, Menor said:

Curious: why do you think the final TFA trailer was weak? That has to be one of my all time favorite trailers.

I just thought it was a bit bland (unpopular opinion, yes a I realize).  It just didn’t really have anything in it that really moved me.  It was good though, not trying to make it seems like it was trash. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MagnarTheGreat said:

Because Deadline and Atom said that it is. They're the ones that came up with it and promoted it, it's been mentioned earlier in the thread, I'm commenting upon it in a 'tut tut' sort of way. Sorry if that didn't come across.

As for the latter, we'll just have to see, which I mentioned. The uptick on the trailer/ticket day21st (Monday) was not that big. The rest of days I don't expect to make a huge difference. Maybe best case scenario a 10 instead of a 9 for October in that comparison.

This is TLJ's month of October:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2017-10-01 2017-10-31&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F06mmr

This is TROS's month of October (so far):

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=2019-10-01 2019-10-31&geo=US&q=%2Fm%2F06mmr

Compare it to the floor for each within their relative months.

What I mean is: why are you referring to Aquaman as if it means anything? Atom promoted it because it is what happened. Aquaman has zero bearing on any of it, because it is asevere outlier due to its special circumstances.

No idea wha makes you think the uptick wasn't as big. The graph clearly shows that the bump is virtually identical to that of TLJ. Mostly because all the trailer bump can be seen on the 22nd, not the 21st.

Your whole monthly comparison is rather meaningless anyway, because it completely ignores the circumstances. E.g. TLJ's final trailer came out October 9th or so, TROS's final trailer came out around the 21st. Seeing how the post-trailer time sees a slight uptick from the pre-trailer period, a direct comparison of the October is completely useless, as TLJ would have a much longer post-trailer run in that month than TROS will have. Thus it would be rather astonishing if TROS would have a stronger October than TLJ did.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

EG didn't need CM movie or any movie not IW to keep the interest in it since it was impossibly high but CM certainly needed EG to keep interest in CM. And EG appointed Sony's golden boy as the new leader of the Avengers not her so that's that. So I was right that you are trying to over-credit CM for EG success.

Where?  He couldn't hold on to the gauntlet - none of the "new" guard could.  Major fail.  :sadno:

AEG didn't appoint anyone as the new leader, the movie was more about closure for the old guard.

https://www.boxofficepro.com/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-dominates-social-media-with-trailer-announcement/

Last week was handily dominated by the announcement of Star Wars: The Rise Of Skywalker’s last trailer. Yes, just the announcement. Not the actual trailer! Said announcement led all three tracked social media services, to no one’s surprise. With tickets now on sale and breaking presales records left and right, The Rise of Skywalker is poised to be a massive success this holiday season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, George Parr said:

No idea wha makes you think the uptick wasn't as big. The graph clearly shows that the bump is virtually identical to that of TLJ. Mostly because all the trailer bump can be seen on the 22nd, not the 21st.

That's because the graph updated today for the 22nd. :sparta:

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Tony said so. It isn't about beinf able to hold the gauntlet. if that was the merit than nobody would need team movies for the one with the most power (Thor or CM) would have done everything themselves. Spidey has heart.

Not in AEG.  

Tony saying it at all even in a recording is rather nonsensical - he's dead - he doesn't even know if Cap or anyone else is still around and he's anointing a teenager their leader?   That it's said in a Spider-Man film is b/c it's in a solo film where the main character is always the most important and the best-est ever.

• Not Cool 1

50 minutes ago, Franklin808 said:

Wow people take things so literal. C3PO is not speaking just for him. Psst Han wasnt speaking just for Han and Chewie.  You may not believe that it is speaking to people. Thats fine. Just watch some of the reaction videos where people weep and melt from that point in the trailer going forward.

Time for me to move on from this. When something newsworthy happens again I will be back.

The biggest 4th wall moment in any ST trailer was Luke reciting ROTJ quote about his family and then saying "you have that power too". It was clearly that the audience has that power but ReySkys died on that hill claiming it meant ReySky.

3 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

15% dislike ratio on the trailer hmmmm 

Wow, such a divisive trailer.

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

15% dislike ratio on the trailer hmmmm 

:thinking:   Jeeze I wonder by who. 

Maybe by some of the same folks who've spammed Knives Out on IMDB with 21% 1 votes (oh and to show the non validity of The Top 1000 voters - it's 25% there)  and are leaking spoilers for the movie on twitter and YT. 

Moderation

We already have enough Marvel threads here. We don't need one more. EG/Marvel comparisons are fine and all for measuring hype and box office for this movie, but cool it with talking about the movies themselves or how CM helped/didn't help Endgame. It's off-topic.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This....

This worked way better than I expected it to

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MrPink said:

This....

This worked way better than I expected it to

When we look back on the movie year of 2019 it will be seen as the year Cats redefined cinema forever.

• Astonished 1

Still waiting for where TROS came in with Fandango for those first 24 Hours. I keep seeing stuff like it's breaking presales records but which ones?

Edited by Darth Lehnsherr
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Still waiting for where TROS came in with Fandango for those first 24 Hours. I keep seeing stuff like it's breaking presales records but which ones?

If they were going to tell us where it placed in the 24 hours, they would’ve by now.

• Sad 1