CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

5 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I really don't think this was the kind of attention that Disney wanted for TROS.

ANybody who actually works in PR for a living will tell you that "Any Publicity Is Good Publicity" is a total bunch of BS. It Simply does not work that way in the real world.

It worked pretty well with Joker.

There's no way that his misspoke or whatever it was about Tran was orchestrated. he wouldn't have to issue an apology if it was. They may have orchestrated riling up TLJ fans/earning brownie points from TLJ detractors (since no one issued clarifications) but the Tran thingy was an honest clusterfuck. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2

To folks saying, "Why not put this in a trailer", I would remind that there is something to the idea of dropping the biggest/best promotion available right at the end when attention reaching a crescendo.

If they had dropped whatever this is (haven't seen it yet, deciding to wait), there's a decent enough chance that it could have gotten stale by now through sheer repetition.

Now one might quibble about a week or so ago, but really, one week before release seems like plenty of time for hype/WOM to spread about it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 7

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

To folks saying, "Why not put this in a trailer", I would remind that there is something to the idea of dropping the biggest/best promotion available right at the end when attention reaching a crescendo.

If they had dropped whatever this is (haven't seen it yet, deciding to wait), there's a decent enough chance that it could have gotten stale by now through sheer repetition.

Now one might quibble about a week or so ago, but really, one week before release seems like plenty of time for hype/WOM to spread about it.

Problem with a lot of people here is they want it all NOW, and don't get that a good marketing campaign builds up to a climax.

Waiting until now to put out this clip was a great idea. Too early and people would forget it too soon. Then all the negative BS and that great clip gets forgotten. Let's hope there are NO more dumb slip-ups and more great clips and we will see sales spike like crazy.

And Vader's voice. Nuff said! That will get butts in seats, real Vader or not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Mod Edit

Thanks for not using a spoiler tag there...

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Menor said:

Thanks for not using a spoiler tag there...

I guess there's no point in me avoiding it now, I suppose (unless there's even more stuff in there). 

8 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Waiting until now to put out this clip was a great idea. Too early and people would forget it too soon. Then all the negative BS and that great clip gets forgotten. Let's hope there are NO more dumb slip-ups and more great clips and we will see sales spike like crazy.

And Vader's voice. Nuff said! That will get butts in seats, real Vader or not.

Welp so much for the surprise.... smh

Well, it is official marketing folks.  I mean, can't expect it to stay out of spoiler tags here forever.  Other folks were just being extra courteous.  But official marketing is official marketing and thus fair game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jedijake said:

(insert shit that should be under a spoiler tag)

Come on bruh, you can't be that dim....

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

Well, it is official marketing folks.  I mean, can't expect it to stay out of spoiler tags here forever.  Other folks were just being extra courteous.  But official marketing is official marketing and thus fair game.

The principle of the matter should go beyond simple rules. That's definitely a spoiler whether it's official or not. 

Moderation :- Anything officially released by the studio or people working on the film is not a spoiler. Disney/Lucasfilm/JJ released this spot, so whatever is in it is not a spoiler nor is discussing it against forum rules. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Moderation :- Anything officially released by the studio or people working on the film is not a spoiler. Disney/Lucasfilm/JJ released this spot, so whatever is in it is not a spoiler nor is discussing it against forum rules. 

People have been putting it behind spoiler tags as a courtesy till now. 

Spoiler

the empire strikes back GIF by Star Wars

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, jedijake said:

you've got to be kidding me... really? a spoiler tag would've been a nice little detail.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Fair. Probably safer for me to just stay out of this thread for the next 170 hours then.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, VenomXXR said:

Reveal hidden contents

I understand the frustration. But I did not make the rule just enforcing what are official forum rules. 

And just think about it, if the studio and people involved are releasing something, how on earth can it be a spoiler. And how can we justify people not discussing officially released material. 

Some people avoid watching even trailers and want to go into movies completely blind. Should we then ban people from discussing even trailers? It’s just not feasible. 

Till now people were discussing this clip under spoiler tags out of courtesy and all we can do is ask people to be mindful of others and discuss it under spoiler tags. 

Policy on leaked material still stands. Any discussion on leaks, no matter how vague, must go under spoiler tags

• Like 2