CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

Just now, JB33 said:

Bob Chipman with some actual wisdom here. He's hitting the nail on the head, in my mind? What say you @Porthos @Knights of Ren?

Was deciding to stay out of all of this (if only for my own mental health), but since I was tagged...

*folks looking at Dark Dagobah Cave, which is now plastered with "THE RISE OF SKYWALKER PREMIERE" banner*

Folks looking at cave: What's in there?

Me knowing what's coming: Only what you bring with you.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bane Cook said:

TROS is not the Joker of SW films unless it’s also good enough to garner to same rewards reception Joker has. Critics decided that they wanted Joker to have the wrong politics and were even hoping a shooting would happen at a Joker screening. TROS won’t go through that and wont have the same rewards performance Joker is having. 

Thank you, finally someone said it.

Now everyone will defend there beloved movie when it gets slammed by critics by mentioning Joker lmao

It needs to be good first, like damn good, and according to those many reactions and the leaks it is not.

5 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Was deciding to stay out of all of this (if only for my own mental health), but since I was tagged...

*folks looking at Dark Dagobah Cave, which is now plastered with "THE RISE OF SKYWALKER PREMIERE" banner*

Folks looking at cave: What's in there?

Me knowing what's coming: Only what you bring with you.

And by that I mean, I think I'm going to largely agree that if you are expecting on one level (even subconsciously) this to be a strident push back against TLJ, you'll see it.  You'll bring that in with you into the cave. 

But I've also seen enough comments from folks I generally agree with that I by no means think this will be a universal thought.

Take Anthony Breznican for instance:

So I'm going in with a mostly open mind.  We'll see how differently I feel in roughly 48 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Permanent Magnet said:

Thank you, finally someone said it.

Now everyone will defend there beloved movie when it gets slammed by critics by mentioning Joker lmao

It needs to be good first, like damn good, and according to those many reactions and the leaks it is not.

Who the hell compared it directly to Joker? The only reason I myself mentioned it is because it was the last straw in terms of my patience for critics. Nothing to do with comparing both films.

I’m honestly in no rush to see this, it’s just not exciting me. In theory the retcon of TLJ that keeps being implied in reactions should be something I’d like, but it’s just going to make that movie and the trilogy feel like more of a mess and I don’t feel like they can really earn my enthusiasm with something so forced. On the other hand, if it did follow as a proper TLJ sequel, I would hate it because nothing about TLJ holds up well for me and it’s the least enjoyable film in the franchise by far, even in spite of its filmmaking merits over the prequels. Nothing from that movie excites me for a proper sequel. So either way, I don’t think I care about this. This trilogy for me is just nagging ambivalence at this point.

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

And by that I mean, I think I'm going to largely agree that if you are expecting on one level (even subconsciously) this to be a strident push back against TLJ, you'll see it.  You'll bring that in with you into the cave. 

But I've also seen enough comments from folks I generally agree with that I by no means think this will be a universal thought.

Take Anthony Breznican for instance:

So I'm going in with a mostly open mind.  We'll see how differently I feel in roughly 48 hours.

Everyone participating in this thread should read those tweets, as well as Bob Chipman's. 

12 minutes ago, JB33 said:

Who the hell compared it directly to Joker? The only reason I myself mentioned it is because it was the last straw in terms of my patience for critics. Nothing to do with comparing both films.

"Star Wars rise of skywalker is the Joker of the SW universe. Loved by audiences , hated by triggered critics because JJ threw the critic beloved and audience scorned TLJ under the bus "

I was literally responding to this.

I am sorry, but what is your point?

11 hours ago, excel1 said:

"In the end, it was the divided fanbase - some wanting to rehash past glories while others wanted to venture to new territory - and  Disney's in-vain efforts to please all of them that finally killed the Star Wars giant."

4 minutes ago, Permanent Magnet said:

"Star Wars rise of skywalker is the Joker of the SW universe. Loved by audiences , hated by triggered critics because JJ threw the critic beloved and audience scorned TLJ under the bus "

I was literally responding to this.

I am sorry, but what is your point?

I didn't see that post. I only saw your post in response to @Bane Cook.

1 minute ago, JB33 said:

I didn't see that post. I only saw your post in response to @Bane Cook.

ah ok, I won't compare the two anyway we didn't even see TROS yet, just saying not to make assumptions without evidence.

This trilogy was completely unnecessary. ROTJ was the perfect ending, they should have let it stand, and made movies in the SW universe about the old Republic, and ancient battles between the Jedi and the Sith. A lot of goodwill for Disney SW is being lost because of the mistakes of the ST.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Wonder Midget said:

This trilogy was completely unnecessary. ROTJ was the perfect ending, they should have let it stand, and made movies in the SW universe about the old Republic, and ancient battles between the Jedi and the Sith. A lot of goodwill for Disney SW is being lost because of the mistakes of the ST.

Disney obviously saw a nostalgic goldmine in bringing back the cast of the OT, so it’s not surprising that they went the route they did. TFA definitely wouldn’t have made as much money as it did if it wasn’t for the appeal of being the first Star Wars film in 30 years to have Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill.

Personally, I would’ve been fine with them making Star Wars films that take place after RotJ if they didn’t feel the need to invalidate the heroes’ victory by essentially bringing the Empire back and giving it a new name. The fact that Palpatine was behind the entire thing all along only makes it so much worse. It severely undercuts Anakin’s moment of redemption. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:
  Hide contents

So, what is Han's scene like?

Pretty great. It’s a reversal of their scene in TFA. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house.

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Disney obviously saw a nostalgic goldmine in bringing back the cast of the OT, so it’s not surprising that they went the route they did. TFA definitely wouldn’t have made as much money as it did if it wasn’t for the appeal of being the first Star Wars film in 30 years to have Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher or Mark Hamill.

Personally, I would’ve been fine with them making Star Wars films that take place after RotJ if they didn’t feel the need to invalidate the heroes’ victory by essentially bringing the Empire back and giving it a new name. The fact that Palpatine was behind the entire thing all along only makes it so much worse. It severely undercuts Anakin’s moment of redemption. 

Honestly just have a reversal of the OT with a dominant republic and a small terrorist like remnant have a Jedi academy with Rey and Kylo show a relationship there and have the first movie end with Kylo falling to dark side. Build the world out  show our favorites actually living life and being who we remembered them to be. This version was just a disappointment from start to finish both to wedded to the OT in terms of story structure and to eager to get rid of all of our favorites the trilogy made so many wrong choices 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Cmon man. You were so close. Would the extra 1% really have killed you?

I beg forgiveness for I have sinned :(

4 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

are you trolling? expecting 40-50% at this point

51-85%. Owned

• Haha 1
  • Astonished 1