Jump to content
CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Critics are clueless and out of touch. Biggest box office phenomenon of the year don't even got a fresh certificate. I know it's fun to see a big movie fail at rotten tomatoes but let's not get carried away. This could very well go down in history as the best Star Wars movie of all time if that's how audiences receive it. That's the only reception that matters.

Why do you think audiences are going to like it that much?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I think... Hmm, how shall I phrase this.

 

I think they knew it had the potential to be controversial but I will go to my grave believing that absolutely no one involved set out to intentionally make a divisive fan-splitting movie.

 

(also, that divide got created during the prequels if not even earlier but that's besides the point)

I just don't think it can be a coincidence. There's this pretty old Rian Johnson interview of him saying  "I want half the people to love the movie, half the people to hate it. Having those two extremes is the mark of a movie I want to make."Then the exact same thing happens with TLJ.

 

Then the discourse becomes extremely political, with all types of accusations pointed at everyone who likes it / doesn't like it, a lot of gas-lighting etc.

Edited by mikee11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Critics are clueless and out of touch. Biggest box office phenomenon of the year don't even got a fresh certificate. I know it's fun to see a big movie fail at rotten tomatoes but let's not get carried away. This could very well go down in history as the best Star Wars movie of all time if that's how audiences receive it. That's the only reception that matters.

Pretty sure Endgame got a fresh certificate :Venom:

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, enough with spoiler tags in the spoiler thread. Anyone coming here is OK with all kinds of spoilers, big or small. I'm guilty of tagging too so no more I promise.

 

I'm proud of critics for torching this shit. We who read leaks knew what dumpster fire the movie is and tried to warn everyone. Nobody listened. Everything that leaks revealed - convoluted multi-McGuffin hunts, relentless pace, too many fake outs to care, zero character development, useless new characters whose presence isn't justified by the story, absolutely unsatisfying ending - is what critics point out now. I hope that influx of shills doesn't save the RT and turn it into Fresh cause this movie doesn't deserve to be saved. It's done everyone and everything dirty.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like The Last Jedi and I don't have a vendetta against critics like some do on here. But I have just been disgusted with how a lot of critics act about anyone that doesn't adore The Last Jedi. They are practically fanatical about the movie and that's never healthy. 

 

That being said if this movie is not good I'm not blaming it on JJ Abrams alone, I'm mostly blaming it on Lucasfilm and Disney. It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to overcorrect and why they hired such a polarizing screenwriter to do that I don't understand. Akiva goldsman has an Oscar to so that Argo win only means so much. 

Edited by Zakiyyah6
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am seeing it in 14 hours and hope I love it. There’s plenty of great reviews amongst those that are not liking so much, but all that matters to me is my own opinion. 
 

I adore ROTJ whilst thinking its not even half as good as the two that preceded it - so we’ll see!! 
 

but...and I have to comment on this due to some naysayers in here....

Mandalorian is goddamn AWESOME!!!  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mikee11 said:

I just don't think it can be a coincidence. There's this pretty old Rian Johnson interview of him saying  "I want half the people to love the movie, half the people to hate it. Having those two extremes is the mark of a movie I want to make."Then the exact same thing happens with TLJ.

 

Then the discourse becomes extremely political, with all types of accusations pointed at everyone who likes it / doesn't like it, a lot of gas-lighting etc.

I am literally headed to bed now, so I can't engage in a long post-by-post point-counter point here so I'll try to sum up my points below.

 

I am well aware of that very old quote.  While it is certainly ironic (in the true sense of the word), I just truly don't think it means all that much.  I mean, look at Knives Out. Ain't no body getting pissed off there.  Look at all of Rian's interviews about SW.  There's a clear love of the franchise and its fans that shine through.

 

Mind, as a massive Luke fanboy I understand a lot of the anger. More than you might think.  I just ultimately draw different conclusions than the so-called TLJ haters.

 

So, to be brief (for me) it certainly is an ironic situation. And I think societal forces (thank you very much for everything, GamerGate) allowed this discourse to spiral out of control on both sides of the issue.

 

But that's a far cry from the ol "Rian Johnson intentionally sought to split fandom" charge.  I just don't see it and it'll take some mighty strong new evidence to convince me of that.

 

tl;dr: Sometimes shit just happens despite folks intentions.  It has happened before, and to quote another SciFi show, it'll happen again.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am stunned by these reviews. I was expecting a Rogue One style score at least. I mean if that lackluster movie can get good reviews any Star Wars movie should be able to.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knives Out was marketed as a crowd-pleasing movie and probably made with the intention of being a crowd-pleasing movie, I'm not saying he's not capable of making one, more speculation I think he made Knives Out like that to prove that he can make one, because his future role in Star Wars was more and more into question.

 

If he can get full control of writing and directing a Star Wars trilogy how much money can he negotiate for? 50 million? Double? I think he really wants that trilogy but Disney/Lucasfilm aren't so sure. That's why he also cleaned up his act on twitter, deleted a lot of old tweets  and stopped calling people manbabies

Edited by mikee11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tbf the usual critical ‘yeah it’s pretty spectacular and gets the job done, but you’ve seen it all before’ thumbs up that certain other franchises ALWAYS get - well they’re not applying that here - when it’s no doubt what it is.  
Guess they have higher expectations for this series, although I’m not sure why. 

 

I can’t call it hypocrisy until I’ve seen the movie, but it will not surprise me one bit if all anyone is saying tomorrow is ‘wtf are a lot of these critics smoking’. 
 

But if it sucks, I’ll call it out.  Most of us are a pretty honest bunch on here. I’m a massive SW fan, but can freely admit huge flaws in plenty of the films in the franchise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the first wave of reviews stops at 53 for both RT and MC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Knives Out was marketed as a crowd-pleasing movie and probably made with the intention of being a crowd-pleasing movie, I'm not saying he's not capable of making one, more speculation I think he made Knives Out like that to prove that he can make one, because his future role in Star Wars was more and more into question.

 

If he can get full control of writing and directing a Star Wars trilogy how much money can he negotiate for? 50 million? Double? I think he really wants that trilogy but Disney/Lucasfilm aren't so sure. That's why he also cleaned up his act on twitter, deleted a lot of old tweets  and stopped calling people manbabies

$50 million. You way overestimate how much directors make. I mean sure if you are a big name director, you can make that much, maybe. I think even someone like Nolan gets $20-$25M upfront for a film, if even that.

 

Rian Johnson probably got $5M or so to direct TLJ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

So the first wave of reviews stops at 53 for both RT and MC.

EvilGrotesqueAndeancondor-size_restricte

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Tbf the usual critical ‘yeah it’s pretty spectacular and gets the job done, but you’ve seen it all before’ thumbs up that certain other franchises ALWAYS get - well they’re not applying that here - when it’s no doubt what it is.  
Guess they have higher expectations for this series, although I’m not sure why. 

 

I can’t call it hypocrisy until I’ve seen the movie, but it will not surprise me one bit if all anyone is saying tomorrow is ‘wtf are a lot of these critics smoking’. 
 

But if it sucks, I’ll call it out.  Most of us are a pretty honest bunch on here. I’m a massive SW fan, but can freely admit huge flaws in plenty of the films in the franchise. 

I think critics and audiences have been spoiled by MCU. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucas said:

So the first wave of reviews stops at 53 for both RT and MC.

Tough days ahead for KK and JJ. RJ must be at peace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wildphantom said:

Tbf the usual critical ‘yeah it’s pretty spectacular and gets the job done, but you’ve seen it all before’ thumbs up that certain other franchises ALWAYS get - well they’re not applying that here - when it’s no doubt what it is.  
Guess they have higher expectations for this series, although I’m not sure why. 

 

I can’t call it hypocrisy until I’ve seen the movie, but it will not surprise me one bit if all anyone is saying tomorrow is ‘wtf are a lot of these critics smoking’. 
 

But if it sucks, I’ll call it out.  Most of us are a pretty honest bunch on here. I’m a massive SW fan, but can freely admit huge flaws in plenty of the films in the franchise. 

I agree, TROS suffers from the same things Rogue One does but it now has the baggage of being a sequel to a film critics love.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours until my showing.

 

I can't give TFA a grade because I barely remember anything about it. Unbelievably forgetful film. TLJ is a B+ for me. 

 

 

Edited by Noctis
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.