CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

This won’t be making more than a billion at the box office. 

7 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

3 whole trilogies! Also 15 different TV shows in the works! Don't forget the prequels every other year for some random character. 

Disney wants that Star Wars cash cow. 

I guess Disney forgot that there was 16 years between RotJ and PM, but I guess they would have tried to fit 2 trilogies in that time frame had they owned it back then

11 minutes ago, Madhuvan said:

Tros is looking at 19-20m final total in China. A more than 50% drop from TLJ. Everybody say thank you RJ. 

Thank you for the wonderful movie, Rian!

Although, just to be clear... when TLJ drops from TFA in China by more than half, that's Rian's fault. But when TROS drops from TLJ by half, that's also Rian's fault?

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Travers - Rolling Stone review is up. 
3.5/5 - “Episode IX won’t be all things to all fans, but it’s a fine and fitting end to the Skywalker saga”

A stalwart legend of a critic. Or maybe I should trust Jeremy Jahns more? Hmmmm 

3 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I haven’t seen the fans blaming anyone other than the people you have mentioned...

fans are being blamed by critics and Film Twitter as if "catering" to them is what caused TROS to be bad. 

5 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

The fact that this will likely be lower rated than AOTC critically is mind blowing

Whilst the acting is not as bad. The writing is only marginally better. The plot is worse and thrice as convoluted. AOTC has a far more believable world and a story which makes more sense and has more presence. 

Seems fair to me...

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

TLJ is what started the downward trend. TLJ made less than everyone expected and had worse legs than expected. TLJ left no where for the story to go. The decisions made by TLJ made are what made them feel they had to  course correct from it, and no, they don't get their data on what decisions to make from "Youtubers"

TLJ should not be left off the hook,  TLJ is what started the decline despite the narrative from some critics and media people that "Catering" to fans is what ruined TROS and everything would have been better if they followed Rian's "vision" (Whatever that was supposed to be)

YOU DID THIS.

Knives Out Spoilerz!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I think we confuse two concepts together @lorddemaxus

1. Was TLJ a good film or not

2. Did TLJ really excite the fanbase for a thrilling conclusion?

The answer to number is to ones opinion.

The asnwer to number two is, clearly not. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

The fact that this will likely be lower rated than AOTC critically is mind blowing

Not really. If the RT setup of today was there in 2002 it would have had a much worse rating. As would TPM obviously. 

Setting aside the fact this movie has some really stupid plot elements, I have to say the title itself is really dumb and should have been a pretty good clue to everyone that they probably were not going to knock this out of the park. 

Last Jedi was a rubbish movie in my opinion, but at least the title was cool. I think all the Star Wars movies have had good titles up to this point. Rise of Skywalker is a garbage title.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MrPink said:

Star Wars' failure in China goes well beyond Rian Johnson to be honest. RO saw a 50% drop off after TFA. The whole thing was trending down in the first place because China simply does not have a connection to Star Wars like many other markets. The market didn't like TFA in the first place. It had a respectable total on the basis of hype from the other markets.

Yep, if this drops domestically and in Europe you can point to Rian Johnson.  In China the Last Jedi really has nothing to do with this drop.  The drop from TFA to TLJ was massive in the first place.

2 minutes ago, darthdevidem01 said:

Whilst the acting is not as bad. The writing is only marginally better. The plot is worse and thrice as convoluted.

Seems fair to me...

Uh-oh, because I still have no idea what the hell was going on in AotC.

Edited by Hatebox

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

The decisions made by TLJ made are what made them feel they had to  course correct from it, and no, they don't get their data on what decisions to make from "Youtubers"

Considering how reactionary LFL is, I wouldn't be surprised if YouTubers actually influenced their decision.

• Like 1

Just now, Bobbybuilderton said:

It's too late to join my club, y'all 🤣

I didn’t know you had a club. I would have joined it. Haven’t been on here a bit but my gut feeling has always been that. The mediocre reviews won’t be helping. I guess we shall see how the audience reacts to it. 

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

But was just as profitable as Infinity War. I don't think Disney cares. The Lion King also had worse legs than expected, doesn't mean that Disney isn't happy with that film's performance.

Opportunity cost matters.  TLJ may have been just as profitable as IW- but IW was followed by Endgame while TLJ was followed by TROS for a reason.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Travers - Rolling Stone review is up. 
3.5/5 - “Episode IX won’t be all things to all fans, but it’s a fine and fitting end to the Skywalker saga”

A stalwart legend of a critic. Or maybe I should trust Jeremy Jahns more? Hmmmm 

Jeremy Jahns is barely a critic, and I don't think anyone was pretending otherwise. Personally, I just think he's a good indicator of what the fans will think. The youtube critic/reactor sphere is typically a good indicator. Another one that I find pretty fucking annoying is Tyrone Magnus, and he hated it too.

• Not Cool 1

14 minutes ago, pepsa said:

At this point that 100% (and it was expected). It's opening weekend (4.5 days) is probably going to be around 110m yuan ( around $15.5m USD) and solo and TLJ only had a 1.5 to 1.7 multi from there 3day OW so TROS multi probably won't be higher because 4.5 days makes it a lot harder to double on. 

But I'm curious whether you feel there's a chance Joker ends its box office run with a higher total than Rise of Skywalker?

• Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Hatebox said:

Uh-oh, because I still have no idea what the hell was going on in AotC.

Someone removed it from the library archives

• Thanks 1