CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

How is one to make a good original storyline after the blank canvass of TLJ yet end a 40 year old 9 film saga at the same that spans generations@Alpha

Confused 

But why does it need to end a 9 film saga? It was not exactly meant to be that way in the first place. Focus on a good movie and build outward. 

Closing a saga should have been the smallest of their concerns here. A trilogy? Sure, I'll give you that. But twisting it into place with the other 6 when there was no room for it seems silly. Sure they felt compelled to do so to try and win back fans and stop financial bleeding but by coming up with something so slapdash supposedly they may have done even more harm in the process.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 7
  • Astonished 1

The bright side is that SW will be a blank slate after that: No Skywalker, new places..A nice reboot of sort, it'll allow fans to watch this without any kind of expectations or emotional links with the characters!

It'll be healthy :)

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1

A lower then expected opening would indicate the TLJ backlash is genuine outside the internet.

Poor legs would be that people did not like TROS. 

• Like 1

editing really kills this thing on top of bad script and horrid dialog. But holy shit batman those awful cuts! 

OK, some positive things. Driver should do more action for he has physicality and moves, Is convincing as an ass kicker.

Reylo team up via Force Bond (palaptine's lair) was great. It's unbelievable that LFL wasted such a cool concept as dyad. They could've have them stay in Unknown Regions and have adventures there, while explicitely setting up Finn and defected Storm troopers (jannah, etc) as Force Sensitives. So that's a group of people who could study Jedi texts left behind by Rey and restart the order in the galaxy far far away or wahtever. Boom. you have 2 franchises already, one set in UR with a duo and one set in GFFA as a classic SW ensemble. Oh well.

I also think that palaptine return wa snot needed. You could have the dyad from Anakin's grandson and Palpy's granddaughter without needing either iconic figure to return (and get ruined in the process).

The opening with palpy was much better in the clip that they released than the full version. Music was much better. 

Edited by Valonqar

Just now, Fullbuster said:

The good thing is that SW will be a blank slate after that: No Skywalker, new places..A nice reboot of sort, it'll allow fans to watch this without any kind of expectations or emotional links with the characters!

I can't wait for them to do something totaly unrelated in the SW universe. So that there is no bagage just telling a story that they find interesting with out their hands being tied.

• Like 1

Just now, pepsa said:

I can't wait for them to do something totaly unrelated in the SW universe. So that there is no bagage just telling a story that they find interesting with out their hands being tied.

That actually should have happened already and the fact the first two spin offs were so closely tied to main saga and their characters showed a lack of vision at Lucasfilm.  I've enjoyed all 4 movies thus far (and I'm still excited about Episode IX but that has been my biggest complaint thus far.  I just don't think Kennedy has a good vision of what Star Wars can be. 

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

The bright side is that SW will be a blank slate after that: No Skywalker, new places..A nice reboot of sort, it'll allow fans to watch this without any kind of expectations or emotional links with the characters!

Maybe, but I wouldn't put it past them to find some cousin / clone / lost child of a Skywalker. I hope there's at least a decade of legitimately fresh content before that happens.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SoSaysI said:

That actually should have happened already and the fact the first two spin offs were so closely tied to main saga and their characters showed a lack of vision at Lucasfilm.  I've enjoyed all 4 movies thus far (and I'm still excited about Episode IX but that has been my biggest complaint thus far.  I just don't think Kennedy has a good vision of what Star Wars can be. 

Yes Disney is playing it on safe with keeping it close to the oringinals, I also think they should take a leap of faith and do something far in the future, or go back in time like the old republic (althought al lot of die hard fans will also have demands about this) something to make the universe larger than just this saga, this would also make it a lot easier to do future movie because you would have so much freedom.

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

A live moment of Rian Johnson drinking the tears of all the fanboys blaming him for TROS rn

source.gif

• Not Cool 1

Just now, The Panda said:

A live moment of Rian Johnson drinking the tears of all the fanboys blaming him for TROS rn

source.gif

Just now, The Panda said:

source.gif

His trilogy will never happen so it’s all good 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MrPink said:

But why does it need to end a 9 film saga? It was not exactly meant to be that way in the first place. Focus on a good movie and build outward. 

Closing a saga should have been the smallest of their concerns here. A trilogy? Sure, I'll give you that. But twisting it into place with the other 6 when there was no room for it seems silly. Sure they felt compelled to do so to try and win back fans and stop financial bleeding but by coming up with something so slapdash supposedly they may have done even more harm in the process.

The problem lies with the people who made the films then the "fans". 

Imo "Was this suppose to be a new SW story or a conclusion of the past" is a question that should been established before a single frame of Episode 7 was ever shot. 

The fact they never established that from the start showed to me this was clusterfudge waiting to happen. 

I would be honest if this was the result, I would been more then Happy having Rian Johnson or JJ make all 3 films. Changing directors to me seems to have been the flaw here. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

Setting aside the retconning of the original 6 movies, the big issue here for SW going forward is that now death is completely meaningless in this universe. Anyone can be resurrected even if their bodies were blown up on screen. Force user can heal fatal wounds with little to no training. A chosen one comes along every few decades. Prophesies are meaningless. Nothing has any stakes anymore. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

His trilogy will never happen so it’s all good 

You sure about that?

Last I checked his last two movies have been critically acclaimed box office hits!

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Panda said:

You sure about that?

Last I checked his last two movies have been critically acclaimed box office hits!

Yes very sure. Rian will not make a trilogy. Future of Star Wars for now will be on Disney Plus. Hope nobody tries to waste our time and pretend otherwise 

Edited by John Marston
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

The problem lies with the people who made the films then the "fans". 

Imo "Was this suppose to be a new SW story or a conclusion of the past" is a question that should been established before a single frame of Episode 7 was ever shot. 

The fact they never established that from the start showed to me this was clusterfudge waiting to happen. 

I would be honest if this was the result, I would been more then Happy having Rian Johnson or JJ make all 3 films. Changing directors to me seems to have been the flaw here. 

I'm not disputing that, but just saying even after Ep 7 and 8 it sounds like they made a lot of unforced errors here going into Episode IX.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Maybe not $20m, it could happen but it's still to early to tell. It will almost definitly go below $30m. I am thinking $24m atm but hoping it surpises and goes closer to $30m.

Joker is going to end it's run at almost 1.07B right so for TROS to be lower it should lose $264m compared to TLJ. There is a chance this happens but we have to know the WoM for this tbh, these reviews don't mater that much the GA reaction will.  The opening in China and France isn't super great so far but ps's in Russia and UK seem to be pretty good. Atm I am thinking OW will be 12% lower than TLJ's WW with the same legs it would mean around 1.188B so a lot is still in the air.

That sad I actually don't want TROS to fail, I would love if it could hold even or increase but those chances seem pretty slim atm. So I am hopping for a pleasant suprise :)

Awww many thanks!

I'm hoping it fails though, as Lucasfilm and Disney haven't been the kindest to fans who've had problems with TFA or TLJ ~

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Yes terry sure. Rian will not make a trilogy. Future of Star Wars for now will be on Disney Us. Hope nobody tries to waste our time and pretend otherwise 

Yes, that’s exactly why Rian Johnson has a healthy working relationship with Lucasfilm and there was no news of him walking away similar to D&D.

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

The bright side is that SW will be a blank slate after that: No Skywalker, new places

That's assuming they can actually let go, kill the past and all that. I don't know if they're bold enough to go COMPLETELY new.

Personally, I would very much love to see a movie focused on Ahsoka, travelling to the far edges of the galaxy or even beyond. Make it an adventure series. You would still have the coll Jedi elements that fans love, it would be a beloved existing character (even if not hugely known outside core fans, the complaints about a Mary Sue protagonist would become laughable), plenty of options to bring in something new while retaining some of the legacy. I think that would be a good stepping stone away from the Skywalker Saga.

On the other hand... it could just be that the Star Wars universe IS too small. It could just be that anything that doesn't share the base SW DNA (including ticking off references) doesn't interest people and flops, hence you can't stray too far off base...

• Like 1