CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

Explain to me how it’s a surprise this movie is wrapping up the saga? The first two episodes of this trilogy have been about the past. 

TFA is about finding the legend that beat the Empire. That is irrefutably THE plot. 

Whilst the other two heroes of the OT desperately hope they can bring their offspring back to the lightside. 

TLJ dissects Luke’s legend and challenges whether it’s valid and what exactly is a legend. Said legend then realises he needs to be that mythical hero to inspire the galaxy towards hope. It’s literally about why we need heroes/nostalgia. 

All the while the movie completely flips every expectation by giving you familiar scenes and then subverting them. 

At the centre of both movies is a tortured Ben Solo who is obsessed with realising what he believes his grandfather wanted - to rule the galaxy. Trying to shake the pull to the light and his family we know from the OT

The trilogy to date has all been about the OT, and the OT contained numerous looks at the PT and Anakin’s fall/why Luke didn’t have a father etc. 

So please someone explain to me how the finale would be anything but a movie largely about the past - just like it’s preceding two episodes.....?

Edited by wildphantom

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

we are on page 666 :ohmygod:

I predict this will be the third film thread (after Interstellar and Infinity War) to cross 1k pages.

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I predict this will be the third film thread (after Interstellar and Infinity War) to cross 1k pages.

Didn’t the BvS thread have the most pages in the history of BOT?

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

BvS, TFA, AoU, MOS, CW, TDKR, WW, TA have also crossed 1k pages as well (in the archived forum).

• Like 2

I don't think even Kathleen Kennedy and company knew what the overall plan was for this trilogy in terms of setting up the future when they made TFA.

A lot of people were assuming that the numbered trilogies would continue after IX.  I'm guessing it was only the performances of The Last Jedi and Solo at the box office that made them think it was time to wrap up the "Skywalker Sage" and focus on something else.

3 hours ago, Valonqar said:

So scenes are leaking and all I can say not worth seeing in the cinema. What mess.

I've been saying it for a year at least.  TROS is gonna have numbers that look too much like JL.  We were all shocked then by the impossible BO results of JL... this is going to look similar.

1 hour ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that this Sequel Trilogy will be remembered more for Rian Johnson's contributions than J.J. Abrams' contributions.

Just like the Legacy of the PT was one man having to much power and no constraint, the ST legacy will be the the conflict of two different visions from two different directors that did not mesh well.

I also expect ST to have a dedicated fanbase but not in the same way as the PT and the OT, there will be a fanbase for each movie and the consensus will be good standalone movies bad trilogy.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bart Allen said:

Awww many thanks!

I'm hoping it fails though, as Lucasfilm and Disney haven't been the kindest to fans who've had problems with TFA or TLJ ~

Yeah they are such meanies.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

The problem with that - and it's not a small one, so I don't envy the creatives - is that neutralising the fanbase essentially means not counting on them to show up for your movie. And Solo showed just what that means financially. So, if you're in the position of completely starting anew, you're aiming for developing markets that have so far shunned Star Wars. That being the case, is the Star Wars brand itself toxic in those markets or at least not relevant enough? If so, why even make a Star Wars movie instead of an original high concept sci-fi adventure that doesn't count on appealing to a broad new audience while discounting its existing one? 

And while I am being a bit extreme in the way I say existing fans won't show up, I do genuinely think that's possible, either because it's so remote from what they know that it's of no interest or that it's still clinging on to parts of the larger canon or the old EU that there will STILL be those going in with preconceived notions. 

I dunno...I really think it's an unenviable position, from a studio point of view, as to which direction they approve of next. Maybe letting it rest on the big screen for a few years, with just a couple of shows on Disney+is the way to go? Regardless of what TROS does in the end, I think SERIOUS discussions need to be had at Disney and LucasFilm and make sure they don't rush into anything. 

Many fans are already so angry they're willing to boycott anyway, that probably wouldn't change anything among casual fans watching just because of brand recognition. The bright side is that you won't have all the angry fans saying their childhood has been ruined or things like that, their apathy is a plus and they'll be able to move on, or at worst only buying stuff linked to the OT.

I think the "safest" thing for the franchise would be to have Feige produce a film (maybe a trilogy), bring in the Russo brothers (who have long let it be known their desire to make a SW film) to direct, Markus and McFeely to write, cast an eager Chris Evans to star, and make a crowd-pleaser that brings audiences back on board.

Edited by MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 2

Just now, Fullbuster said:

Many fans are already so angry they're willing to boycott anyway, that probably wouldn't change anything among casual fans watching just because of brand recognition. The bright side is that you won't have all the angry fans saying their childhood has been ruined or things like that, their apathy is a plus and they'll be able to move on, or at worst only buying stuff linked to the OT.

Yeah, but, again...that leaves us with Solo. Probably with even less box office potential, due to the brand not being attractive in Asia and Latin America and a lack of familiarity everywhere else. I definitely see the appeal of starting fresh, but I'm just trying to look at it from the box office perspective and... yeah, it's not going to be easy, and it might require them burning some money to build goodwill and hope for a Batman Begins - TDK situation.

2 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I think the "safest" thing for the franchise would be to have Feige produce a film (maybe a trilogy), bring in the Russo brothers (who have long let it be known their desire to make a SW win) to direct, Markus and McFeely to write, cast an eager Chris Evans to star, and make a crowd-pleaser that brings audiences back on board.

sick hey arnold GIF

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

I think the "safest" thing for the franchise would be to have Feige produce a film (maybe a trilogy), bring in the Russo brothers (who have long let it be known their desire to make a SW win) to direct, Markus and McFeely to write, cast an eager Chris Evans to star, and make a crowd-pleaser that brings audiences back on board.

So... THE FORCE AWAKENS but with Chris Evans?

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

First:  Hell No

Second:  this film is getting hit for being safe, why the hell would you want to be safe in return?

5 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

As a massive MCU fan, please god no! 

10 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I'm amazed how Interstellar was able to get >1000 pages. And like 900 pages were before the end of the OW. The power of Nolan.

5 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

@Force Ghost Cap

You approve?

• Haha 1