Jump to content
CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

Recommended Posts

Driver and Ridley are really great in this. The best parts of the film and its saving grace.

 

The more you think about the film, the more it falls apart. Suspend your disbelief everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Noctis said:

Driver and Ridley are really great in this. The best parts of the film and its saving grace.

 

The more you think about the film, the more it falls apart. Suspend your disbelief everyone!

 

 

Is it full of enjoyable cringe like ROTS at least? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

 

 

Is it full of enjoyable cringe like ROTS at least? 

Nah.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Water Bottle said:

I like the idea that Kevin Feige will save Star Wars. Like the low-budget look of the MCU works cause the MCU didn't have any films. But we've had Star Wars films. We know they look big, epic. They look like $200 million budget films. They aren't $125 million budget films that look like $50 million lol.

 

 

That's the problem, you are too focused on what Star Wars has been all along.  We need to change our idea of what Star Wars can be if it to continue and grow.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Deep Wang said:

 

 

That's the problem, you are too focused on what Star Wars has been all along.  We need to change our idea of what Star Wars can be if it to continue and grow.

 

 

 

 

Making Star Wars smaller might work for you and that's great. But that's a step back especially in this era of cost-cutting blockbusters. Enjoy your cheap-ass Feige filmmaking. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Yeah, well, nostalgia at the expense of solid world-building did no favors to the sequel trilogy.  

And this is the big failure of TFA, both creatively and in terms of launching the series in new markets.

 

It's a really fun movie that amounts to nothing as the credits roll.

People talk about JJ being shafted by TLJ's ending, but all Rian Johnson had was a vaguely-defined Resistance, an Emperor knock-off with no personality of his own, a Luke Skywalker who'd abandoned the fight, and the characters scattered to the wind.

TFA is this giant home run for the series, but it also kind of doomed it because it's a rickety foundation.

Edited by ViewerAnon
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Driver and Ridley are really great in this. The best parts of the film and its saving grace.

 

The more you think about the film, the more it falls apart. Suspend your disbelief everyone!

it completely falls apart without thinking about it but when you actually apply brain activity...hoo-boy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Give my love to Leia."
"Give it to her yourself."

 

I lol'd in the theater

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Noctis said:

What did you think of the film?

I was astounded. The franchise collapses under its own obligations to a fanbase that cannot be reasoned with. It feels like the worst Star Wars movie, even though it's not. It doesn't flow well, scenes are mashed together without any momentum, it's one giant schizophrenic mess without ideas. Several beats are set up but never paid off, character arcs are dropped, or seen highly unsatisfying conclusions, while other characters just disappear. It comes across like a movie that has been messed around with significantly in post production. Like Lucasfilm were slaves to disappointing reactions at test screenings, and kept overcorrecting the film to the audience's silly demands.

It's a corporate boardroom looking at a giant checklist some intern got from a subreddit about things they wanted answered in the next product. They then played connect-the-dots with the results.

 

But at least Carrie Fisher's memory is preserved in the movie as an embarrassing NPC character in an MMO game who stands around waiting for players to walk up to her so her dialogue can play. They make it seem like she gives a really bad performance in the film.

  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Driver and Ridley are unironically great in this despite the script doing them no favors. fingers crossed TROS doesn't hurt their careers. 

I honestly don't think that there is another actor in his thirties who has Driver's career atm. If he doesn't win the Oscar this year, he will the next one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Driver and Ridley are unironically great in this despite the script doing them no favors. fingers crossed TROS doesn't hurt their careers. 

Sheesh. Certainly don't have to worry about Driver. All you have to do is look at what he's been doing outside of Star Wars. Might even win Best Actor this year.

 

Ridley hasn't done much. But, no chance SW has done anything but help her career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did Snyder ghost-direct this? So much slo-mo in order to ilicit emotional response. JJ, you ain't no PJ. For slo mo and emotions to work, you need to milk it, not cut it short. 

Edited by Valonqar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SW will be saved if it abandons the “force”concept and the cheap lightsaber fights. It’s the only way out. Come on, let’s make it happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Noctis said:

It's happening to me right now.

Also the sexism of Rey's abilities being explained away as a result of being connected with Kylo (dyad thing). Like she can't be good at sports unless her boyfriend shows her how. As well as she can't have come from nothing and been that talented and good, she has to be a Palpatine too.

 

It's all falling apart.

  • Disbelief 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Water Bottle said:

 

Making Star Wars smaller might work for you and that's great. But that's a step back especially in this era of cost-cutting blockbusters. Enjoy your cheap-ass Feige filmmaking. 

I didn't say I wanted cheap filmmaking.  I said it doesn't always have to be huge-ass mega blockbusters.  

 

There are only so many ways to have a space battle, and since there have been 3 different Death Stars, they clearly ran out of ideas a long time ago.  

 

I wouldn't call John Wick cheap filmmaking despite it being a low budget.  You could make a smaller adventure for less than $100m and it could be a ton of fun!

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Driver and Ridley are unironically great in this despite the script doing them no favors. fingers crossed TROS doesn't hurt their careers. 

Daisy has Chaos Walking,  she will be fine 😄

  • Astonished 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Deep Wang said:

I didn't say I wanted cheap filmmaking.  I said it doesn't always have to be huge-ass mega blockbusters.  

 

There are only so many ways to have a space battle, and since there have been 3 different Death Stars, they clearly ran out of ideas a long time ago.  

 

I wouldn't call John Wick cheap filmmaking despite it being a low budget.  You could make a smaller adventure for less than $100m and it could be a ton of fun!

This. I mean imagine DC saying that they won't make a "cheap" film like Joker because it ruins the brand. They would have missed out on one of their biggest hits.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I was astounded. The franchise collapses under its own obligations to a fanbase that cannot be reasoned with. It feels like the worst Star Wars movie, even though it's not. It doesn't flow well, scenes are mashed together without any momentum, it's one giant schizophrenic mess without ideas. Several beats are set up but never paid off, character arcs are dropped, or seen highly unsatisfying conclusions, while other characters just disappear. It comes across like a movie that has been messed around with significantly in post production. Like Lucasfilm were slaves to disappointing reactions at test screenings, and kept overcorrecting the film to the audience's silly demands.

It's a corporate boardroom looking at a giant checklist some intern got from a subreddit about things they wanted answered in the next product. They then played connect-the-dots with the results.

 

But at least Carrie Fisher's memory is preserved in the movie as an embarrassing NPC character in an MMO game who stands around waiting for players to walk up to her so her dialogue can play. They make it seem like she gives a really bad performance in the film.

It absolutely is schizophrenic. There is no doubt in my mind that Disney and Abrams pandering to the toxic but loud minority was what led them to create a film that almost does not even feel like a sequel to TLJ. It has some good scenes (almost if not all involving Kylo or Rey or both) and a couple of bright spots but in the end...it doesn't know what it wants to be.

 

Also...the editing in the first hour makes the editing in Crimes of Grindelwald seem tame. 

 

I'm not a SW fan but I follow the series. Casual fan maybe. But ending a 42 year old saga like this? The final scene was genuinely touching but what's the point if the majority of what came before it was soulless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ViewerAnon said:

And this is the big failure of TFA, both creatively and in terms of launching the series in new markets.

 

It's a really fun movie that amounts to nothing as the credits roll.

People talk about JJ being shafted by TLJ's ending, but all Rian Johnson had was a vaguely-defined Resistance, an Emperor knock-off with no personality of his own, a Luke Skywalker who'd abandoned the fight, and the characters scattered to the wind.

 

I think JJ's greatest contribution was Kylo Ren and casting Adam Driver.  Like, any time that character is on screen in both films is riveting.  

 

But the worst thing he did was to make the TFA setting "It's basically the OT again, but without any sense of how or why we got here from ROTJ."  

 

I think the biggest mistake Johnson made was not realizing how shoddy Abrams' world-building was and doing an even more insular film in TLJ. 

 

There is no "setting" in the sequel trilogy, other than "Star Wars."  It's just all so ill-defined (IMO, of course).  

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.