CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

rose making her big declaration of love for finn at the end of last jedi is especially funny because he just kinda ghosts her in this movie. hope he let her down gently lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Lets not discount how well received the trailer for Infinity Wars was...

Apart from the SW7 trailer, I cant think of a trailer that was so popular... 

This really opened peoples eyes to how massive the scale of the IW saga was going to be. 

Strange that Engames trailer got half the views of infinity war.

6 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think the bigger issue is that now 2/3rds of the main franchise is made up of bad trilogies. When it was just the prequels, you could still say "well it's only 50%" of the franchise or "only 3 bad movies". Now it's 67% that's rubbish and 6 bad movies out of 9 attempts. 

I love Rogue One. It is the only Star Wars-related movie in the last 20 years that actually deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as the original trilogy. But it will never be one of the main Episodes, which is unfortunate given the rubbish quality of Episodes 1-3 and 7-9. 

Its funny because you can kind of class Rogue One as part of the otig trilogy becaue it ends right where Star Wars starts, and you can watch both as one film. Which is cool.

I get what you're saying but a lot of people do actually like the prequels, and a lot of people do like the new trilogy, even TLJ. If we are talking about hardcore SW fans then yeah you're probably right, but casual SW fans, and the general movie going public?, i dont know.

My point was that the sequel trilogy is not going to damage SW so much that there is no way back. People used to say the same about the prequel trilogy, but then the next SW film went on to be the bigest film of all time. Just make a SW film that people want to see, and people will flock to it. Now they are out of the Skywalker saga, maybe they can do just that.

• Haha 1

Just now, AndyK said:

There were half as many people around to watch it...

• Like 3
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, mikee11 said:

The initial numbers say a lot about what condition TLJ left the franchise in.Batman V Superman comparison is apt in this case. Ofc the next drops and the legs are all down to the movie itself, but I don't see how people can deny anymore how toxic TLJ was to the brand

Following the tracking thread, the presale numbers were very good and seemed to be ramping up normally until reviews hit.  I think TLJ being divisive hurt any chance of a major breakout and increase for the Rise of Skywalker but the movie getting a tepid response is going to be a major factor in any drop. 

Glad to see this movie bringing back the ole Star Wars tradition of "kisses that make you want to leap out of your skin"

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

Its funny because you can kind of class Rogue One as part of the otig trilogy becaue it ends right where Star Wars starts, and you can watch both as one film. Which is cool.

I get what you're saying but a lot of people do actually like the prequels, and a lot of people do like the new trilogy, even TLJ. If we are talking about hardcore SW fans then yeah you're probably right, but casual SW fans, and the general movie going public?, i dont know.

My point was that the sequel trilogy is not going to damage SW so much that there is no way back. People used to say the same about the prequel trilogy, but then the next SW film went on to be the bigest film of all time. Just make a SW film that people want to see, and people will flock to it. Now they are out of the Skywalker saga, maybe they can do just that.

I think there is a lot of damage done, but I do agree they can recover. They need to get away from the original trilogy as much as possible if they want to see a new version of Star Wars reach its maximum potential with audiences. Nostalgia for the original movies fueled TFA to become the biggest domestic grosser. They won't have that chance ever again, especially not after making some controversial retcon decisions for characters such as Luke and Palpatine (which also means retconning Vader's story). 

• Like 5

I don't think I've ever seen something get ruined over and over and over again, quite like Star Wars. First it was the Special Editions, then the Prequel Trilogy, and now the Sequel Trilogy. I love Star Wars, and I know a lot of us love it as well, and in my fanboy heart, I always want to see more Star Wars. But my brains keeps telling me that in hindsight, it should've been left alone after RotJ. It was a great fairy tale, it was told, and it was told well. But we all wanted more Star Wars. George wanted more, the fans wanted more, Disney wanted more, and look what it cost.

The Original Trilogy is so tarnished at this point, it's not even remotely funny.

Edited by Snark88

1 minute ago, Snark88 said:

I don't think I've ever seen something get ruined over and over and over again, quite like Star Wars. First it was the Special Editions, then the Prequel Trilogy, and now the Sequel Trilogy. I love Star Wars, and I know a lot of us love it as well, and in my fanboy heart, I always want to see more Star Wars. But my brains keeps telling me that in hindsight, it should've been left alone after RotJ. It was a great fairy tale, it was told, and it was told well. But we all wanted more Star Wars. George wanted more, the fans wanted more, Disney wanted more, and look what it cost.

The Original Trilogy is so tarnished at this point, it's not even remotely funny.

Just treat it like Godfather. Ignore the bad stuff (Part 3) and enjoy the good stuff (Parts 1-2). Out of all the garbage in the last 20 years, at least we got Rogue One. 

Granted, I do wish that Disney would do a restoration on the original movies. Lucas was the one who insisted on forcing the bad 1990's CGI on those movies. If he was gonna do it, wait until the 2010's when CGI technology was good enough to not be extremely noticeable. Now that Disney has control, I say remove the crap CGI and either replace it with more modern CGI or do a true restoration to make the original films look as good as they can in their original forms (1977-1983). 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, AndyK said:

bc 1) endgames trailers werent that much rewatchable,2) the 24 hour number endgame blew iw away

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I think the bigger issue is that now 2/3rds of the main franchise is made up of bad trilogies. When it was just the prequels, you could still say "well it's only 50%" of the franchise or "only 3 bad movies". Now it's 67% that's rubbish and 6 bad movies out of 9 attempts. 

Let's not act like the original trilogy movies are some kind of masterpieces. They have enough issues and cheesy lines. 

This kind of attitude is why we got such an uninspired sequel trilogy: after the backlash the Prequels got, Disney was too scared to do something different from the OT, and we got what we got, a soft reboot of ANH that pandered to the OT purists.

I don't like AOTC, TPM, TFA, TLJ, TROS very much, but I don't dislike them for the same reasons. The prequels at least were daring and had heart, and had a good, ambitious story even if the execution wasn't good. Personally, ROTS is easily my top 3 Star Wars movie, and I know many people who think the same. 

But thanks to people who think that the OT is the only good thing about Star Wars (looking at you, JJ), we got such an uninspired, nostalgia-baiting conclusion to the Skywalker Saga. Personally, I'm sad. Disney should have never attempted to "set things right" after the Prequels. That was their first mistake. 

• Like 5

Star Wars to me is the prequels first, OT second

I grew up with the idea of lots of jedi, the temple, a prosperous republic. That was my childhood. Prequels captured my imagination.

The films have many issues ofc that a childs eyes did not see. But that is my star wars.

So you thinking star wars is only one good trilogy is irrelevant sorry. Get off the OT high horse. It's why we are in this mess.

And TFA and TLJ are very well made with some of the best moments in modern blockbusters. TROS feels like a hack made it though

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, therana said:

Let's not act like the original trilogy movies are some kind of masterpieces. They have enough issues and cheesy lines. 

This kind of attitude is why we got such an uninspired sequel trilogy: after the backlash the Prequels got, Disney was too scared to do something different from the OT, and we got what we got, a soft reboot of ANH that pandered to the OT purists.

I don't like AOTC, TPM, TFA, TLJ, TROS very much, but I don't dislike them for the same reasons. The prequels at least were daring and had heart, and had a good, ambitious story even if the execution wasn't good. Personally, ROTS is easily my top 3 Star Wars movie, and I know many people who think the same. 

But thanks to people who think that the OT is the only good thing about Star Wars (looking at you, JJ), we got such an uninspired, nostalgia-baiting conclusion to the Skywalker Saga. Personally, I'm sad. Disney should have never attempted to "set things right" after the Prequels. That was their first mistake. 

I agree with that. Rehashing ANH in TFA was a big mistake. Hell, bringing back the old characters was a mistake. They need a clean break from the original movies at this point. Start from scratch with new characters and a new story. 

• Like 1

Yeah, let's not have this "Star Wars is only the OT" crap. That kind of stuff is what got the franchise into this situation in the first place.

• Thanks 2

I wanted to heckle JJ really badly, but alas my courage gave out. I'm sorry folks.

EDIT: If anyone in Europe would like my ticket it is a Kylo Ren variant PM me. I think someone will probably want it, first come first served.  

Edited by JamesCameronScholar

Prequels are better than the sequels. That’s a twist I never saw coming after hearing Disney was buying Star Wars.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Snark88 said:

it's not. all trilogies are self-contained so you can ignore trilogies you don't like. Hobbit didn't tarnish LOTR. Even self-contained over-3 movies series don't get tarnished because some prequel/sequel new series doesn't live up to expectations. HP is not tarnished by FB. Something is tarnished only if you want it to be. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 4