Jump to content
CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

Recommended Posts

I bet he doesn’t even write a story.  He’s just stirring shit up because he’s disappointed in the film.  Tired of folks blaming individual people in this.  It looks like it was a collective fuck up.  JJ, KK, Terrio, and Bob Iger all deserve  blame.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

I bet he doesn’t even write a story.  He’s just stirring shit up because he’s disappointed in the film.  Tired of folks blaming individual people in this.  It looks like it was a collective fuck up.  JJ, KK, Terrio, and Bob Iger all deserve  blame.  

It's so strange seeing a ton of people online making up byzantine theories to try and absolve JJ of any responsibility for this. 

 

It's not like "a runtime too short to accommodate an overstuffed plot more interested in half-baked twists and fan service than telling a unique story" is a criticism that's never been leveled against any of his previous films. 

 

Which isn't to say Disney and by extension Iger and Kennedy, are totally blameless either; they were the ones that hired him and let him set up their entire slate of SW movies. 

 

:Edit: The biggest mistake they made imo, was instead of spending more time on introducing us to the new characters and changed world, they tried to cram in as much stuff from Episodes 4-6 as possible. 

 

Tbh the main reason I like TLJ the most out of all the Disney SW movies is that it's the only one that ever felt like it took an interest in actually developing its new characters as people, instead of finding ways to tie them back to the OT

 

 

 

 

Edited by TerwillikerInst
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It seems to me that they didn't develop the story organically but had a check list and went "we need X,Y,Z now write something around it". Those X, Y, Z appear to be:

 

Zombie Leia. To this day I don't understand why they thought she would be a big draw. Yes, she was alive at the end of TLJ and that was a nice tribute to CF that they didn't kill her off then, but move on. Instead, they shoehorned her awkward af footage and still killed her when they ran out of material. 

 

Trio. nevermind that Poe was pronounced the leader and thus should have played Leia's part (while relieving us of zombie Leia). Actors bitched about being separated in TLJ so you gotta fan service the divas with shoe-horned trio adventure. Cue numerous McGuffins created to justify why these characters, who each has something else to do instead of hang out together by running and yelling, are wasting everyone's time running around and yelling. In the end, boxoffice went down and they didn't get praise because their interaction was said yelling and running instead of real bonding.

 

Rey Rey Skywalker. They wanted this line to end the movie and why anyone in their right mind thought that was a satisfying conclusion to Skywalker Saga is beyond my comprehension. Cue killing off all Skywalkers and putting that garish Van Helsing leftover ghost scene. 

 

JJ's friends. They had to appear in fairly prominent roles (Russell, Monaghan, Grunner) so any time they were on the screen, a puppy died, er, I mean underdeveloped af existing characters had no time to develop.

 

Kylo/Ben redemption. I've no problem with that but the movie was too busy with above mentioned shit to do this part of the story justice. especially jarring was that they gave us a glimpse of Ben Solo (which was great) and then killed him off as in "oh, well, what could have been" while keeping alive X number of useless characters as in "maybe we use them in the future". 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It seems to me that they didn't develop the story organically but had a check list and went "we need X,Y,Z now write something around it". Those X, Y, Z appear to be:

 

Zombie Leia. To this day I don't understand why they thought she would be a big draw. Yes, she was alive at the end of TLJ and that was a nice tribute to CF that they didn't kill her off then, but move on. Instead, they shoehorned her awkward af footage and still killed her when they ran out of material. 

 

Trio. nevermind that Poe was pronounced the leader and thus should have played Leia's part (while relieving us of zombie Leia). Actors bitched about being separated in TLJ so you gotta fan service the divas with shoe-horned trio adventure. Cue numerous McGuffins created to justify why these characters, who each has something else to do instead of hang out together by running and yelling, are wasting everyone's time running around and yelling. In the end, boxoffice went down and they didn't get praise because their interaction was said yelling and running instead of real bonding.

 

Rey Rey Skywalker. They wanted this line to end the movie and why anyone in their right mind thought that was a satisfying conclusion to Skywalker Saga is beyond my comprehension. Cue killing off all Skywalkers and putting that garish Van Helsing leftover ghost scene. 

 

JJ's friends. They had to appear in fairly prominent roles (Russell, Monaghan, Grunner) so any time they were on the screen, a puppy died, er, I mean underdeveloped af existing characters had no time to develop.

 

Kylo/Ben redemption. I've no problem with that but the movie was too busy with above mentioned shit to do this part of the story justice. especially jarring was that they gave us a glimpse of Ben Solo (which was great) and then killed him off as in "oh, well, what could have been" while keeping alive X number of useless characters as in "maybe we use them in the future". 

 

 

 

 

But but as fell once did aeee so tooo willl the laaaaast skywaaalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally saw it. Damn what a mess (6/10). Although despite a laundry list of problems, Reylo is the one thing that actually ends up working somehow. 

 

For the problems I'll focus on some that disappointed me the most in this movie and trilogy in general. Mostly has to due with Rey and Kylo because who cares about the rest. Not Disney or Lucasfilm. 

 

1. Knights of Ren. What a waste. People say Phasma was wasted (which is true) but these guys are the biggest letdown. These are the Jedi students that Kylo took with him? Where was the force powers? Why were they so easily eager to kill their leader without hesitation? There should have been some loyalty. If they had developed these characters it could have led to some emotional moments. Hell even the fight was lame. They weren't even a threat. They should have shown the fall of Lukes academy and rise of the Knights of Ren. I feel that would have alleviated problems people has with Luke running away and hiding. 

 

2. Revealing Rey's yellow lightsaber at the end of the movie and never using it in battle. What was the point? Also why wasn't it double sided. Her Sith version had one that was double sided. The whole trilogy she was better with a staff weapon than a sword even in her training at the start. How did they screw up that payoff/fanservice.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Finally saw it. Damn what a mess (6/10). Although despite a laundry list of problems, Reylo is the one thing that actually ends up working somehow. 

 

For the problems I'll focus on some that disappointed me the most in this movie and trilogy in general. Mostly has to due with Rey and Kylo because who cares about the rest. Not Disney or Lucasfilm. 

 

1. Knights of Ren. What a waste. People say Phasma was wasted (which is true) but these guys are the biggest letdown. These are the Jedi students that Kylo took with him? Where was the force powers? Why were they so easily eager to kill their leader without hesitation? There should have been some loyalty. If they had developed these characters it could have led to some emotional moments. Hell even the fight was lame. They weren't even a threat. They should have shown the fall of Lukes academy and rise of the Knights of Ren. I feel that would have alleviated problems people has with Luke running away and hiding. 

 

2. Revealing Rey's yellow lightsaber at the end of the movie and never using it in battle. What was the point? Also why wasn't it double sided. Her Sith version had one that was double sided. The whole trilogy she was better with a staff weapon than a sword even in her training at the start. How did they screw up that payoff/fanservice.

 

NO ONE is allowed double lightsabers unless they're villains. #1 rule of modern Star Wars.

 

mfaDWgO.gif

giphy.gif

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Finally saw it. Damn what a mess (6/10). Although despite a laundry list of problems, Reylo is the one thing that actually ends up working somehow. 

 

For the problems I'll focus on some that disappointed me the most in this movie and trilogy in general. Mostly has to due with Rey and Kylo because who cares about the rest. Not Disney or Lucasfilm. 

 

1. Knights of Ren. What a waste. People say Phasma was wasted (which is true) but these guys are the biggest letdown. These are the Jedi students that Kylo took with him? Where was the force powers? Why were they so easily eager to kill their leader without hesitation? There should have been some loyalty. If they had developed these characters it could have led to some emotional moments. Hell even the fight was lame. They weren't even a threat. They should have shown the fall of Lukes academy and rise of the Knights of Ren. I feel that would have alleviated problems people has with Luke running away and hiding. 

 

2. Revealing Rey's yellow lightsaber at the end of the movie and never using it in battle. What was the point? Also why wasn't it double sided. Her Sith version had one that was double sided. The whole trilogy she was better with a staff weapon than a sword even in her training at the start. How did they screw up that payoff/fanservice.

 

Just a FYI but the KOR are not Luke’s former students 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atleast I can fully appreciate the memes now. I was wondering about the "Must have been on another transport" stuff on twitter. That Chewie fakeout was so pointless along with the C3PO fakeout. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 

Something that can be taken away from this film is this masterpiece by John Williams.  Easily a top 5 Star Wars individual piece IMO.  The first 3.5 minuets are perfection, and then unfortunately the proceeding bit is so dumb in the film they I can’t help but discount the score lol.  Just as a piece though, outstanding. 

Edited by Knights of Ren

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is one movie that could have benefited from being 30 mins longer. 

 

People are more then willing to watch long films if they have a grand story and premise to tell.

Edited by Lordmandeep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gokira2012 said:

Come guys, no one is gonna espond to this

It's just really hard to give a shit. But since you're asking: I think making yet another prequel would be a bad idea. Disney needs to have some confidence in the world and focus on brand new characters.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw it a second time yesterday and still like the movie 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Also Palpatine's broadcast announcing his return is not in the movie. Its part of a Fortnite event!

 

I know his return is nonsense but that speech is something that should be in the movie to set the tone.

Edited by EarlyDeadlinePredictions
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

 

2. Revealing Rey's yellow lightsaber at the end of the movie and never using it in battle. What was the point? Also why wasn't it double sided. Her Sith version had one that was double sided. The whole trilogy she was better with a staff weapon than a sword even in her training at the start. How did they screw up that payoff/fanservice.

 

That's for the sequel that's guaranteed going way under 1 billion. They already drove Rey Trilogy into the ground but they won't know until complete boxoffice collapse confirms it. They'll make that misstep. Yellow saber is a set up for more as are all those useless new characters introduced at the 11th hour. May not make it in 2-3 years but give it 5-6. Like POTC 5. 

 

@Lordmandeep if those 30 minitues weren't more Finn yelling Woo and Rey, more McGuffin chase, more aimless pew pew running, than yes. but you just know that those missing 30 min and the whole "JJCut" (real, not that Saltier Than Crait BS) are just extended action scenes that bored the fuck out of everyone in shorter form already. And more zombie Leia giving monosylable answers.

Edited by Valonqar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

That's for the sequel that's guaranteed going way under 1 billion. They already drove Rey Trilogy into the ground but they won't know until complete boxoffice collapse confirms it. They'll make that misstep. Yellow saber is a set up for more as are all those useless new characters introduced at the 11th hour. May not make it in 2-3 years but give it 5-6. Like POTC 5. 

 

@Lordmandeep if those 30 minitues weren't more Finn yelling Woo and Rey, more McGuffin chase, more aimless pew pew running, than yes. but you just know that those missing 30 min and the whole "JJCut" (real, not that Saltier Than Crait BS) are just extended action scenes that bored the fuck out of everyone in shorter form already. And more zombie Leia giving monosylable answers.

 

I don't think they will return to this period any time soon. Not in the movies at least. The sequel trilogy has failed to some extent. I think Lucasfilm would be wise to leave it alone and start afresh. Next SW films should be set a thousand years apart from these 9, so that it cannot be constrained by the originals, and they can develop their own thing. People won't come into it attached to certain characters, and there won't be a constant war between trying to do new stuff and trying to please the fans, which has undermined every single one of the 5 Disney films we've had so far.

 

 

Edited by Avatree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:

Also Palpatine's broadcast announcing his return is not in the movie. Its part of a Fortnite event!

 

I know his return is nonsense but that speech is something that should be in the movie to set the tone.

I laughed out loud at that title crawl. Imagine writing that in the script. 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Avatree said:

 

I don't think they will return to this period any time soon. Not in the movies at least. The sequel trilogy has failed to some extent. I think Lucasfilm would be wise to leave it alone and start afresh. Next SW films should be set a thousand years apart from these 9, so that it cannot be constrained by the originals, and they can develop their own thing. People won't come into it attached to certain characters, and there won't be a constant war between trying to do new stuff and trying to please the fans, which has undermined every single one of the 5 Disney films we've had so far.

 

 

Agreed 100%. I just don't think studios are smart enough to let go of something when it's obivous they should. That's why we get unnecessary sequels, spin-offs, franchises run into the ground. I've no doubt they will move onto different eras as you say they should because that's the logical step. new thing has a chance of growing fandom. this only shrinks it. If fan servicefest like TROS couldn't win them back than there's nothing they could do to stop the erosion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

I laughed out loud at that title crawl. Imagine writing that in the script. 

Speaking of dumb lines, I love this meme:

 

6d6f909c56b2f32f796e193098e9150e8ecfea3f

 

00827835fa0762b7f00a55d104a08d06aba46f6f

 

Also:

 

Poe:"Somehow, Palpatine got back" 

 

:hahaha:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Guidelines. Feel free to read our Privacy Policy as well.