CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

But it keeps declining. 20% dip ain't that small on top of dips from previous years. 

Tanking may be a strong word but the franchise is clearly in downward trend, losing customers and audience rather than growing.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Not Cool 1

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 2:39 PM, Avatree said:

general good advice - ignore Reddit as an entity. full of toxicity and bullshit.

"You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

THIS.THIS.THIS.

Except I would add sheer stupidity to the list.

You think reddit on Movies is bad, you don't want to go  near Politics on reddit.....

Edited by dudalb

On ‎1‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 7:52 PM, JB33 said:

Have to think after the way The Mandalorian has been received that Lucasfilm at least tries to throw a ton of money at Jon Favreau to come on and be the guy who shepherds Star Wars. I wouldn't be opposed to it. All I know is they need someone with the love for and knowledge of Star Wars, but also with the imagination to pave new roads because clearly that's where the future of Star Wars lies if it wants to continue being a juggernaut franchise: the horizon. People are done with the old. The nostalgia pull is all used up.

Problem is that TLJ did try to go in a different direction, and a lot of fans hated it.

I think the days of it being a juggernaut franchise are over, that horse has left the barn.

I see it now like the 007 franchise:Still very popular, still very profitable, but not the dominant franchise it once was.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

But it keeps declining. 20% dip ain't that small on top of dips from previous years. 

Tanking may be a strong word but the franchise is clearly in downward trend, losing customers and audience rather than growing.

Id argue it's just the result of the honeymoon phase of "star wars being back" ending and it's performing like most Billion dollar IP's do, in fact it performs better than most of them still. the 14% to 20% drop is pretty blandly average for many other IP, and it's very cyclical. Once we get new films or whatever that massively spike interest again it will go up again.

I'm pretty sure 2019 will be ahead of 2018 once we get results.

• Like 1

well, boxoffice didn't get a spike so no reason to expect merch spike either given that they are connected. 

Edited by Valonqar

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

well, boxoffice didn't get a spike so no reason to expect merch spike either given that they are connected. 

It was the third biggest Globally tied to Solo which made below 400 Million WW.

TROS made 1 Billion...

43 minutes ago, dudalb said:

Problem is that TLJ did try to go in a different direction, and a lot of fans hated it.

I think the days of it being a juggernaut franchise are over, that horse has left the barn.

I see it now like the 007 franchise:Still very popular, still very profitable, but not the dominant franchise it once was.

TLJ didn't go in a new direction. What it did that was "different" is that it stopped going in any direction at all. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jedijake said:

TLJ didn't go in a new direction. What it did that was "different" is that it stopped going in any direction at all. 

Lmao you couldn’t be any more wrong.  TFA didn’t go in any direction except copy and paste OT.  TLJ tried to take the ST in a new direction, but JJ couldn’t quit trying to replicate the OT

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Knights of Ren said:

Lmao you couldn’t be any more wrong.  TFA didn’t go in any direction except copy and paste OT.  TLJ tried to take the ST in a new direction, but JJ couldn’t quit trying to replicate the OT

I don't think TLJ was well executed, but, yes, I give Johnson  credit for at least trying to give more depth to the charecters.

And this is a problem: The fans seem to like simple charecters and everything black and white;and most writers and directors chafe at this.

For those who think the box office for TROS is some kind of disaster, you don't know what a disaster is.

Now Universal seems to have a real disaster on it's hands with Dolittle….

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

I don't think TLJ was well executed, but, yes, I give Johnson  credit for at least trying to give more depth to the charecters.

And this is a problem: The fans seem to like simple charecters and everything black and white;and most writers and directors chafe at this.

The fact that TESB is widely considered to be the best Star Wars movie of all time kind of contradicts the argument that fans want everything to be black and white. Hell, RotS is widely considered to be the best of the prequels, and regardless of what one thinks of the execution, the film did play around with the idea that the Jedi are deeply flawed. 

4 minutes ago, jedijake said:

That's not the case at all. The plot was clearly structured andthe characters followed a clear line of development as well.

48 minutes ago, dudalb said:

That kind of stuff gets posted after every new Star Wars movie, and I really don't know why. The franchise isn't any different than it has been in the past. It hasn't been a dominant franchise internationally for decades now, and even domestically it only dominated occasionally, with the rest of the movie being "merely" among the best.

The only real change has been the rise of the asian markets, and Star Wars lack of success there. Which means more movies can perfom at a similar or better level worldwide than in the past. But even without those Star Wars was only ever among the best, not the clear cut number one whenever something new came out (e.g. TPM couldn't beat Jurassic Park worldwide, or come remotely close to Titanic, and neither AOTC nor ROTS were number one worldwide in their years of release, much less anywhere near as strong as LOTR or Harry Potter internationally).

So, all in all, Star Wars is right where it has been for a very long time: among the best, not the dominant franchise in the world.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

The fact that TESB is widely considered to be the best Star Wars movie of all time kind of contradicts the argument that fans want everything to be black and white. Hell, RotS is widely considered to be the best of the prequels, and regardless of what one thinks of the execution, the film did play around with the idea that the Jedi are deeply flawed. 

And ROgue One came to the edge of showing that the Rebellion had blood on it's hands and could be pretty ruthless also....but it backed away from that idea.

As for the Jedi being flawed, just in military terms they are a miserable failure in accomplishing their mission.

a movie can be a disappontment due to diminishing returns and still profitable and not a bomb or even financial disappointment. But would they prefer that TROS made over TLJ? hell yes. Instead of dropping 200M+ globally. you can't spin the boxoffice drop as anything but shrinking audience. However, good thing is they are done with ST and have blank slate in front of them and with that a chance that brand new characters and concepts will woo back fandom that ST characters and recycled concept lost. Including wooing China.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

TLJ opened the door wide open for new direction. Not radically different but different nonetheless. Different from ROTJ 2.0 that we ended up with.

TLJ doesnt have a Unique plot but it does have unique Ideas and themes aswell as narrative framepoints.

for those confused narrative and plot are not the same thing.

Plot is literally what you see from A>B and narrative is how it's framed and told.

you'll see, one day, we will find out that TLJ was setting up movies beyond IX. It's just that LFL panicked after Solo bomb and TLJ backlash and decided to wrap it up. hence why TROS felt like 2-3 movies worth crammed in one.

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

you'll see, one day, we will find out that TLJ was setting up movies beyond IX. It's just that LFL panicked after Solo bomb and TLJ backlash and decided to wrap it up. hence why TROS felt like 2-3 movies worth crammed in one.

The leaked CT script today says otherwise. It’s from 2016 and was definitely a final movie of a trilogy. 

I HATE Treverrow (just his first short film is enough to make anyone hate) but I'd have taken his script over TROS easily. I'm happy with the creative decisions made there except for the really old Sith guy that Kylo trains with