CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

5 hours ago, sabrecmc said:

I liked TLJ.  I have quibbles with it like most anything, but overall, I enjoyed it. I don't think it worked great as a franchise movie, but that's on Lucasfilm for not having a coherent overall story mapped out.  That's still just...mindblowing to me. I truly cannot fathom it. 

Going to see TROS again Saturday at my daughter's request. She loves it, and I quite liked it, too.  It's got issues, but its really entertaining, too, and I've gotten use to the pace of the first 45 minutes now, so that doesn't bother me anymore. 

That is the main reason I think Kathleen Kennedy should be replaced as head of Lucasfilms. She failed miserably in that regard,and in riding herd on the different writers and directors to make sure they were on the same page.

And it's also mindblowing to me why she waited until Solo was 90% completed before firing Lord and Miller and ordereing a reshoot of almost the entire film. If she did not like what she was seeing in the dailies, why the hell didn't she fire L and M earlier?  That delay ended up costing a hell of a lot of money.

name 3 things that were influenced by the last jedi.

Spoiler

except for the giant turds that were Solo and Rise of Skywalker :redcapes:

Will it get an extended cut where Jannah is revealed to be Lando's daughter, or where Rose and Merry get their subplot?
Disney+ exclusive?

Taika to the rescue?

Maybe a lighter,not so serious touch is just what the franchise needs.

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Taika to the rescue?

That would be a big turnoff for me.  I love Star Wars when it is dark, challenging, and thought provoking.  My least favorite parts are when it’s light hearted, adventure, “fun”, ect.  

It’s going to sound weird but I know a Star Wars film is good when I feel like I got kicked in the teeth when I walk out the theatre.  I need the film to beat me down and really challenge my thought process.  This is probably why ROTS, TLJ, and ESB are my favorite.  All require a lot of though process and are challenging at face value . 

Edited by Knights of Ren

On 1/15/2020 at 11:15 AM, dudalb said:

I don't think TLJ was well executed, but, yes, I give Johnson  credit for at least trying to give more depth to the charecters.

And this is a problem: The fans seem to like simple charecters and everything black and white;and most writers and directors chafe at this.

I don't know about black and white but I think fans just want a good Star Wars movie without the edgy, modern "new direction" stuff. You can go in a new direction story-wise - which I think fans and the GA are more than open to - but still keep with the general tone and style of Star Wars.

Rian Johnson did not necessarily make a bad movie in TLJ. He just tried to make a Star Wars movie something else. complete with real-world politics (Yes I know that's always been prevalent in Star Wars, but not to the "in-your-face" degree TLJ was) and the subvert expectations trope. The prequels may have a lot of their own issues, but at least all George Lucas tried to do at the end of the day was build a bigger galaxy. In other words, world build. I would describe TLJ as hipster Star Wars for people who don't have much interest in the lore and just want to see their own world reflected back at them, but obviously set within the world of Star Wars.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Taika to the rescue?

Hell no. Goodbye, I'm out, if that's the case.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JB33 said:

He just tried to make a Star Wars movie something else. complete with real-world politics (Yes I know that's always been prevalent in Star Wars, but not to the "in-your-face" degree TLJ was) and the subvert expectations trope.

There is literally a four episode arc in Clone Wars about bank regulations and how interest rates and national debt are putting the country in danger.  I don't know how much more in-your-face you can get.  George Lucas has never been subtle.  The idea that Star Wars is analogy for our time is not some clutch-your-pearls revelation.  

• Like 5

The reactions of some of the SW fans to the Taika possibility brings up something else I do not like about the new breed of SW fans:They take everything so damn seriously , They are headed in the direction of some of the hardcore DC fans back in the Snyderverse days;Everything has to be dark and gritty. Heaven forbid a lighter touch. That's Heresy. Not  much of a sense of humor about the franchsie.

Not always like that:Back in the 80's Most SW fans LOVED "Spaceballs". If a similar direct parody were released today quite a few SW Fans would be outraged.

The series started as a tribute to the old FLash Gordon serials, for heaven's sake.  Why the hell does it have to be so damn serous.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

The reactions of some of the SW fans to the Taika possibility brings up something else I do not like about the new breed of SW fans:They take everything so damn seriously , They are headed in the direction of some of the hardcore DC fans back in the Snyderverse days;Everything has to be dark and gritty. Heaven forbid a lighter touch. That's Heresy. Not  much of a sense of humor about the franchsie.

Not always like that:Back in the 80's Most SW fans LOVED "Spaceballs". If a similar direct parody were released today quite a few SW Fans would be outraged.

The series started as a tribute to the old FLash Gordon serials, for heaven's sake.  Why the hell does it have to be so damn serous.

Solo was a low key, fun, adventure and it flopped.  I thought it was great, but the evidence isn’t always there for that.  

19 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

That would be a big turnoff for me.  I love Star Wars when it is dark, challenging, and thought provoking.  My least favorite parts are when it’s light hearted, adventure, “fun”, ect.  

It' for those very same reasons I always thought Taika was a bad fit for the Akira adaptation.

16 hours ago, JB33 said:

I don't know about black and white but I think fans just want a good Star Wars movie without the edgy, modern "new direction" stuff. You can go in a new direction story-wise - which I think fans and the GA are more than open to - but still keep with the general tone and style of Star Wars.

Rian Johnson did not necessarily make a bad movie in TLJ. He just tried to make a Star Wars movie something else. complete with real-world politics (Yes I know that's always been prevalent in Star Wars, but not to the "in-your-face" degree TLJ was) and the subvert expectations trope. The prequels may have a lot of their own issues, but at least all George Lucas tried to do at the end of the day was build a bigger galaxy. In other words, world build. I would describe TLJ as hipster Star Wars for people who don't have much interest in the lore and just want to see their own world reflected back at them, but obviously set within the world of Star Wars.

I don't see any issues with the lore-building in TLJ. There was more to it than in TFA, especially in regards to the force, and it also felt (at least to me) the closest to the prequels out of all the sequels, which might have to do with Johnson being a whole lot more positive about the prequels than Abrams, There weren't a ton of different new worlds, but even that area was a whole lot more creative than in its predecessor.

I really don't understand this idea that TLJ somehow wasn't something for hardcore fans. That seems like trying to present one view as the view of the fans, and that simply doesn't work. Just because some hardcore fans didn't like it, doesn't mean that they stand for hardcore fans, or fans in general.

Star Wars has always been about real-world politics. It was about that in the OT, it was that in the PT, and it still was about that with the ST. The sequels didn't do anything that prior movies didn't do in more obvious or even harsher points.

• Thanks 1

Taika's movies usually have a good balance of comedy and emotion (Hunt for the Wilderpeople probably strikes one of the best balances I've ever seen to be honest), idk why people think it would be just a quipfest.

16 hours ago, JB33 said:

The PT  had several political scenes that were pretty meaningful and relevant, compared to just one amateurish one in TLJ (DJ arms dealing). So I don't think TLJ was hurt by too much politics, if anything there wasn't enough politics in the ST for my taste.

As far as the hipster thing, I don't think its fair to characterize fans who liked TLJ as hipsters as I know many fans who loved TLJ and are not hipster-ish. The film just resonated with them. But there definitely seems to be an undercurrent of that sentiment among the critical praise for it. A lot of critics said it was great for "burning down Star Wars conventions", big surprise when a large portion of the fanbase reacts negatively since some of those conventions were what drew them to the series in the first place.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

838f6d10.png

Did anyone get this point across? Asking for a friend. :lol:

Lol I don’t think anybody got that.  Either they both didn’t act it out very well or it got cut.  They set up Finn with Rose and I guess Boyega didn’t like that.  So now he gets to be with nobody.  Beggars cant be choosers! 

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

838f6d10.png

I don't even recall the name Jannah being spoken in the film. We'll never know what happened in editing but it's safe to say that there's a lot of stuff in TROS that is unfinished / incomplete, just gets dropped and doesn't come back.

Jannah is apparently meant to be Lando's granddaughter, which doesn't go anywhere except when Billy Dee talks to her at the end, and not gonna lie I thought he was flirting with her (yikes) .

Finn uses the Force and it's never given more than 0.5 second of screentime before the film moves on.

I rarely advocate longer runtimes but it would have been nice to see some of these things either fully explored or cut out completely.

Sucks how shafted Finn got in this trilogy. The whole Rose thing and the backlash does not help.

For better or worse (I HATE ROSE TICO TOO), Rian Johnson did try to set up a relationship, but after everyone hated her, it got shut down in this one.

I loved TROS but it just sucks what a dysfunctional trilogy this is. Lack of planning is all it comes down to. Disney wanted to give filmmakers some freedom to make interesting films, but at the same time they wanted to pander to fans. You simply cannot have your cake and fuck it too.

Edited by Avatree

Yeah, actors and writers and editors are trying to explain stuff that isn't obvious on the screen. Though as someone who is familiar with leaks, which include Lando's confession that his daughter was stolen by FO, I don't think that longer version would be an improvement. Sometimes longer scenes or more scenes explain things, sometimes they are just filler that shouldn't have been there in either longer or shorter form. I still see no point of creating another character with Finn's background instead of giving him an arc without her.

Edited by Valonqar

15 hours ago, Valonqar said:

838f6d10.png

i think Jannah had a more natural connection with Finn than Rose, maybe not romantic, but did not seem like sexual assault like Finn/Rose moment

with current number at $1.027B, any chance to get to $1.1B? or it's too much...
maybe somewhere $1.065B - $1.090B?

Marek