CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

I couldn't see it in theaters so I didn't read any conversation about this movie in order to avoid spoilers. Finally saw it this afternoon and I'm surprised by how much I liked it, it was almost as good as The Force Awakens, which for me is a perfect Star Wars film. I have no idea what people disliked about The Rise of Skywalker. 4.5 out of 5 stars for me, and I'm so happy they could give Carrie Fisher a proper send-off, she didn't deserve to have The Last Jedi as her last appearance as Princess Leia.

• Like 3
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1

9 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I couldn't see it in theaters so I didn't read any conversation about this movie in order to avoid spoilers. Finally saw it this afternoon and I'm surprised by how much I liked it, it was almost as good as The Force Awakens, which for me is a perfect Star Wars film. I have no idea what people disliked about The Rise of Skywalker. 4.5 out of 5 stars for me, and I'm so happy they could give Carrie Fisher a proper send-off, she didn't deserve to have The Last Jedi as her last appearance as Princess Leia.

its a mixed bag , everything is good besides the script, i don't know how it got greenlit, i guess Disney didn't care besides making the release date, reminds me of Justice League debacle 

33 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

its a mixed bag , everything is good besides the script, i don't know how it got greenlit, i guess Disney didn't care besides making the release date, reminds me of Justice League debacle 

They were desperate to make the release date. They disposed of JJ’s ideas for 8/9 back when RJ was making 8 so obviously they didn’t think they were the highest of quality.  With CT getting fired and Iger refusing to move the 2019 release date, I guess they just didn’t care about the quality and desperately asked JJ to come back with the ideas they already threw in the trash lol. 

I think I have finally settled in at ranking TROS 10/11 in my overall Saga rankings after 7 viewings.  I only have Rogue One ranked below it because it is one of the most boring movies I’ve ever seen multiple times.  TROS does irreparable damage to the saga, but at least it’s not boring to watch.  

8 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

They were desperate to make the release date. They disposed of JJ’s ideas for 8/9 back when RJ was making 8 so obviously they didn’t think they were the highest of quality.  With CT getting fired and Iger refusing to move the 2019 release date, I guess they just didn’t care about the quality and desperately asked JJ to come back with the ideas they already threw in the trash lol. 

I think I have finally settled in at ranking TROS 10/11 in my overall Saga rankings after 7 viewings.  I only have Rogue One ranked below it because it is one of the most boring movies I’ve ever seen multiple times.  TROS does irreparable damage to the saga, but at least it’s not boring to watch.  

i remember opening night in theater, seeing the dead speak, i thought i was being punked, at least its an entertaining trainwreck and the actors are trying their best

6 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

i remember opening night in theater, seeing the dead speak, i thought i was being punked, at least its an entertaining trainwreck and the actors are trying their best

Yep I knew something was off straight from the opening crawl.  Then the first 20 min of the film is a cluster montage and nothing is making any sense whatsoever lol.  By the end I was just laughing/crying in disappointment.  Agree though, all the actors did the best they could with the crap they were given.  In the bonus features on the digital release, JJ and Terrio were making major adjustments on set.  The Dagger wasn’t even in the script, they just added it as another Mcguffin on the day they shot lol!

17 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Yep I knew something was off straight from the opening crawl.  Then the first 20 min of the film is a cluster montage and nothing is making any sense whatsoever lol.  By the end I was just laughing/crying in disappointment.  Agree though, all the actors did the best they could with the crap they were given.  In the bonus features on the digital release, JJ and Terrio were making major adjustments on set.  The Dagger wasn’t even in the script, they just added it as another Mcguffin on the day they shot lol!

this is JJ's first film without a commentary track, seems like no one is happy with the film

Just saw it as well, rarely been so disoriented watching a movie, space/time made so little sense, things did seem all patched over each other with voice over made in post-production, the exposition was absolutely terrible.

One of the worst big budget movie I have seen.

12 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Speaking purely from a financial point of view, considering current events, it was probably a good call to rush this movie out for a 2019 release.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

Speaking purely from a financial point of view, considering current events, it was probably a good call to rush this movie out for a 2019 release.

Maybe.  It might have done permanent damage to the SW brand long term though. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Barnack said:

Just saw it as well, rarely been so disoriented watching a movie, space/time made so little sense, things did seem all patched over each other with voice over made in post-production, the exposition was absolutely terrible.

One of the worst big budget movie I have seen.

I'm still trying to decide whether the script or editing was worse. Both were hilairously bad but gotta choose the winner. As the resident movie expert, what say you? 

Edited by Valonqar

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

I'm still trying to decide whether the script or editing was worse. Both were hilairously bad but gotta choose the winner. As the resident movie expert, what say you? 

It is hard to distinguish how much of the editing issue are coming from the script and vice versa I imagine, but it look like something that was shoot without a coherent script (or at least what they decided to go with after the first principal photography changed a lot from it)

Will go for the script, but even the direction was terrible for the most part, even the scene when the resistance prop themselve for battle or celebrated the result were not good, the score an usual strength of the franchise obviously didn't seem to be able to save moments.

I doubt that things like: Were is Cheewy ? Said when working on a ship seemingly in the middle of a desert, followed by him arrested by an big army...... Cannot have been planned and written/storyboarded like that 6 month before the shoot started.

2 hours ago, Valonqar said:

As the resident movie expert,

You must be mistaken me with someone else there

Agreed, it stunk up the joint on all 3 levels - script, direction, editing. 

glad so many movie experts on here hate the movie, it was pretty enjoyable movie for most people I know who saw it when it came out.

https://deadline.com/2020/04/star-wars-rise-of-skywalker-movie-profit-2019-lowest-for-lucasfilm-1202915179/

THE BOTTOM LINE

Disney spared no expense on Rise of Skywalker, with the finale reportedly the most expensive of the latter part of the trilogy with a $275M production cost and total global costs of $627M — versus Force Awakens ($259M production, $776.5M total) and Last Jedi ($200M production, $578.3M total). This resulted in net profits of $300M for Rise of Skywalker, which were lower than spinoff Rogue One: A Star Wars Story ($319.6M) but much better than Solo: A Star Wars Story which lost close to $77M. The last two Star Wars trilogy movies from Disney actually led Deadline’s profit tournaments: Last Jedi in 2017 with $417.5M and Force Awakens in 2015 with a massive $780.11M. Regarding participations here of $75M, Disney doesn’t pay out profit percentages after cash breakeven, but rather bonuses based on box office results, and that’s spread out here among Abrams, the cast and Lucasfilm boss Kathleen Kennedy. Not accounted for here in Rise of Skywalker‘s black ink is merchandise revenue streams, which are largely kept under wraps.

So it fell to nearly a third of the profit of TFA. Sure $300mil is still a crap ton of money, but ask any studio if they want their big blockbuster franchise finale to drop over 60% in profits from the first film and I doubt any of them would be pleased with that scenario. Even crazier that it barely cracked the top 10 most profitable for the year, no one would have dared predict something like that for IX even just a couple years ago. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MovieMan89 said:

So it fell to nearly a third of the profit of TFA. Sure $300mil is still a crap ton of money, but ask any studio if they want their big blockbuster franchise finale to drop over 60% in profits from the first film and I doubt any of them would be pleased with that scenario. Even crazier that it barely cracked the top 10 most profitable for the year, no one would have dared predict something like that for IX even just a couple years ago. 

Any studio would kill to have a trilogy that averaged almost 1.5 billion dollars. And if TROS was generally considered to be a good movie it probably would have earned about 3 to 4 hundred million dollars more than it did.

Sure discuss the quality of the film but people continuing to try to bash the amount of money the ST made is getting pretty tiresome.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Seeing anything related to this movie gives me trauma.  My first viewing of this film is an experience I never want to think about again lol

• ...wtf 2

5 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Any studio would kill to have a trilogy that averaged almost 1.5 billion dollars. And if TROS was generally considered to be a good movie it probably would have earned about 3 to 4 hundred million dollars more than it did.

Sure discuss the quality of the film but people continuing to try to bash the amount of money the ST made is getting pretty tiresome.

Hence why I said “300 mil is still a crap ton of money” and the film not being profitable was not at all what I was saying, but ok. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Seeing anything related to this movie gives me trauma.  My first viewing of this film is an experience I never want to think about again lol

Move on. We all knew that when they announced they were going to be releasing as many Star Wars movies as they did that we would eventually run into one or two we didn't like. Even before the ST started a lot of people only liked 50% of the Star Wars movies that were out there. That's the good thing about paying attention to the tv shows and other expanded material is that there is constantly something new coming out and there is no point in dwelling on something you didn't like because soon you will see something that you do like.

• Like 5