CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | 9th Most Profitable Movie of 2019 | Coming to Disney+ May 4th

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

2 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

I like Filoni a lot but he’s done some really dumb things in Rebels before and his two episodes of the Mandalorian were pretty easily the weakest, so everyone appointing him as Star Wars god needs to chill out. 

I think part of that can be attributed to Filoni having zero live-action directing experience prior to doing the show. It's not a coincidence to me that the 3 weakest episodes IMO were the ones done by the newbies (Filoni and BDH).

In terms of storytelling, worldcrafting, lore, Filoni is really good and yeah he's made some notable missteps in Clone Wars and Rebels, but on the whole both of those shows really come together very well ultimately.

3 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I think part of that can be attributed to Filoni having zero live-action directing experience prior to doing the show. It's not a coincidence to me that the 3 weakest episodes IMO were the ones done by the newbies (Filoni and BDH).

In terms of storytelling, worldcrafting, lore, Filoni is really good and yeah he's made some notable missteps in Clone Wars and Rebels, but on the whole both of those shows really come together very well ultimately.

Agree for the most part.  I didn’t think they gave BDH much to work with in her episode (thought the “story” was kinda weak) so I give her props for making something out of nothing. 

• Like 1

You can definitely tell how much Filoni has learned based on what the Siege of Mandalor arc ended up being like but he still needs to stay under Favreau's wing in terms of live action for now. He probably needs a few more seasons of things being the way they are now before he would be able to do a real good job of showrunning his own live action series. And people who say he should run Lucasfilm are probably recovering from some concussion that they got within the past week.

• Like 2
  • ...wtf 1

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

So my friend who watched SW recently, we both hated TRoS but when he asked me post TLJ what else would have been done. I was clueless. Mostly because I am not SW nerd, what do you guys think TRoS could have been better. I know what I hated but improving those doesn't actually make it a better film.

For me the runtime seemed too short to resolve everything properly, so they should have just gone for 3 hours.

#1 most important thing is avoid Palpatine at all costs. His only appearance should have been as an illusion or old hologram (like in the original script). Doesn't really matter who the big bad is, just avoid Palps (and for at least part of the movie, Kylo should be the only big bad).

Have Rey's initial motivation be hatred towards Kylo for his betrayal in TLJ. Perhaps have the Knights of Ren/First Order kill Leia early on to stoke this. Personally I think it would be interesting to see Rey try to be a "Gray Jedi" and balance Dark and Light in order to defeat Kylo, only for her to be forced to realize that you can't tap into the dark side without risking succumbing to it. I also think it would've been cool to see some of the more "out there" Force stuff from TCW/Rebels (for example the Force planet from TCW season 6) where Rey could learn about the nature of the Force. That would give it a sense of importance befitting the final Saga episode.

Have Kylo's motivation continue to be increasing his power/surpassing Vader (as it was in the previous films). However, his arc could have been to realize that his increased power continues to make him feel empty (like was set up in the final scene of TLJ). Leia dying early in the film would also help stoke the feelings of emptiness and powerlessness. His "turn moment" could be a scene where his "final trial" in the Dark Side is to kill Rey, but he refuses. After his redemption, he would play a major role in defeating whoever the final big bad was (perhaps the Knights of Ren, which would make it a more personal/emotional conflict for him). His ending could be to wander the galaxy as a lone exile rather than dying.

The final battle should have been a massive battle to retake Coruscant like in the Trevorrow script.

Have Poe's arc be similar to the final film where he has to learn to be the leader of the Resistance and overcome his self-doubt. However, this was sort of muted in TROS, I think it should have been brought out more rather than restricted to one or two scenes. Maybe have him recruiting allies for the assault on Coruscant. It would have been awesome to see him giving a speech to a bunch of planets from throughout the history of Star Wars, and would have been a lot cooler than the ships scene in the final film.

Finn should have gotten some sort of stormtrooper rebellion/coup plot rather than the nothingburger in the final film. Maybe have him try to infiltrate the First Order on Coruscant for some strategic purpose, but end up trying to save his former comrades.

Rehabilitate Hux rather than continue to make him a joke. There is no reason why that character can't be a threat. Have Hux be a secondary villain to the final big bad and the final obstacle in the Resistance B-plot.

In general make the action better and more unique, also broaden the color palette like TLJ did.

Posted (edited)

I don’t have a script for my ideal Episode IX but here are some things that definitely would have happened: 

- The First Order turns on Kylo after they find out he was responsible for the death of Snoke (video recording in the throne room, ect idk)

- I would have Palpatine return, I think since we are connecting all nine films, he would need to be the big bad.  
- A Sith acolyte lets themself be willfully possessed by Palpatine.  This cult follower could be Hux or a Knight of Ren.  Palpatine spirit then takes over the body returns to his younger form.  (This is fishy and idk how I would pull this stuff off). 
- Finn/Poe/Rose are all on a mission (this should have been the “trio”. 
- Rey is trying to still understand the force.  Her and now a rogue Kylo end up meeting on some sort of force planet.  They learn here why they are connected and more about the force.  They have to come together as light and dark to achieve the balance.  
- Final battle is Rey and Kylo vs Palpatine (Matt Smith).  Matt Smith would have a lightsaber similar to the one “Dark Rey” is using in TROS. 
- Leia would have a moment with her son in the film.  This would be the key to his “redemption”.

- Ben Solo lives and begins traveling the galaxy at the end of film to atone for what he does.  I would probably have him freeing the kids on Canto Byte (Broom Boy) as a sign of this or something. 
- Poe would die (we need some prices to be paid)

- Finn leads Stormtrooper rebellion 

- Force ghost Anakin plays a role

This is just some rough ideas, obviously nerds a tone of work.  One day I might actually flesh it out.  

Edited by Knights of Ren
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I don’t have a script for my ideal Episode IX but here are some things that definitely would have happened: 

- The First Order turns on Kylo after they find out he was responsible for the death of Snoke (video recording in the throne room, ect idk)

I had a similar idea in my fanfic outline (which I never actually got around to writing). Basically Kylo went on a Dark Side quest, and remade his mask for that journey since he was back to being a "hunter". However, Hux, being suspicious of Kylo's intentions, plants a bug on the mask. Kylo then fights Rey in Vader's castle on Mustafar and references the death of Snoke, Hux then figures out the truth and turns the FO against Kylo.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Menor said:

I had a similar idea in my fanfic outline (which I never actually got around to writing). Basically Kylo went on a Dark Side quest, and remade his mask for that journey since he was back to being a "hunter". However, Hux, being suspicious of Kylo's intentions, plants a bug on the mask. Kylo then fights Rey in Vader's castle on Mustafar and references the death of Snoke, Hux then figures out the truth and turns the FO against Kylo.

Yep.  I thought the FO turning against Kylo was a given for IX.  Whether that be from them finding out him killing Snoke, Kylo just being a bad leader and not having similar views as everyone else, or his refusal to kill Rey, I thought it was going to happen.  JJ just decided to forget about the FO entirely though in TROS so so much for that.  Hux leading and internal rebellion against him would have really helped his character and made sense narratively. 

21 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

You can definitely tell how much Filoni has learned based on what the Siege of Mandalor arc ended up being like but he still needs to stay under Favreau's wing in terms of live action for now. He probably needs a few more seasons of things being the way they are now before he would be able to do a real good job of showrunning his own live action series. And people who say he should run Lucasfilm are probably recovering from some concussion that they got within the past week.

dear... im not sure what you know what youre talking about. Favreau seems to be a nice guy, but he can only handle contemporary "art" if that. filoni is much more interesting in every aspect since his characters are much more out of time (timeless) and are not ironic or sarcastic or tongue in cheek. 50 years from now George Lucas vision of Anakin will be much higher regarded than Iron Man and Nolans Batman. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

dear... im not sure what you know what youre talking about. Favreau seems to be a nice guy, but he can only handle contemporary "art" if that. filoni is much more interesting in every aspect since his characters are much more out of time (timeless) and are not ironic or sarcastic or tongue in cheek. 50 years from now George Lucas vision of Anakin will be much higher regarded than Iron Man and Nolans Batman. 

Mmm. I'm not sure you know what you are talking about as you are coming off as another one who is just trying to troll the ST and JJ.  The only point you are trying to make to back up your statement is easily countered.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • ...wtf 1

11 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Mmm. I'm not sure you know what you are talking about as you are coming off as another one who is just trying to troll the ST and JJ.  The only point you are trying to make to back up your statement is easily countered.

Whatever statement ive made you may counter  it now sweetheart

Just now, Amadeus said:

Whatever statement ive made you may counter  it now sweetheart

You are a little strange you know that. 

• ...wtf 1

4 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Mmm... ahhhh... mm.... politics you cant deal with in movies.... great danger i sense in you as someone judging movies... but i like your naivity 

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Mmm... ahhhh... mm.... politics you cant deal with in movies.... great danger i sense in you as someone judging movies... but i like your naivity 

Lol first you need to back up one of your points before we can continue. There are channels out there that are created specifically for the things you are trying to do.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • ...wtf 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

What’s your username on JCF?

Also I think everyone on the cast was tired of JJ’s mess by the time this thing hit theaters 

Edited by Knights of Ren

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

What’s your username on JCF?

Also I think everyone on the cast was tired of JJ’s mess by the time this thing hit theaters 

I havn't talked on JCF in a couple years. I take part in the patreon area of Star Wars Explained. It's the only place where you can go where people really know all that much about what they are talking about (I prefer to get into all the material and not just surface level thoughts about the movies).  And did you actually watch the video or just read the headline. THe video is just one big joke.

Edited by RockyMountain
  • ...wtf 1

2 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

I havn't talked on JCF in a couple years. I take part in the patreon area of Star Wars Explained. It's the only place where you can go where people really know all that much about what they are talking about (I prefer to get into all the material and not just surface level thoughts about the movies).  And did you actually watch the video or just read the headline. THe video is just one big joke.

I watched the video.  The cast thinks the movie is a joke, for sure. 

1 minute ago, Knights of Ren said:

I watched the video.  The cast thinks the movie is a joke, for sure. 

If they did you can't tell from that video. That video is just cut in a way to fit the narrative that the person that made it wants to tell. Please provide an unedited video that shows how the cast hates the movie.

• Like 1
  • ...wtf 1

47 minutes ago, RockyMountain said:

Lol first you need to back up one of your points before we can continue. There are channels out there that are created specifically for the things you are trying to do.

mm... ahhh... i love you...

but im not sure what you saying.... you dont think politics belong in star wars.. and not medichlorians.. as long as you get x-wings and tie-fighters you're alright...

cool