CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams back to rescue the franchise from Ruin | Tag all spoilers. TLJ discussion is allowed | Trailer Pg 440

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

Looks like everyone is on board now after hearing a.....laugh??? What happened to all the haters of the SW movies up to this point? This is reminding me Alladin when everyone came on board after trashing the genie's look when A whole new world song played at the end of the last trailer. I think people here are too bipolar. 

• Not Cool 5

Palpatine is back.

Well I take that back. Sideous is back. Palpatine, like Snoke, was just a puppet/host.

Sideous has been controlling the Sith, the Empire, First Order, KOR, etc. Like Thanos, they have to find another way to defeat him.

The Skywalkers must join together-ALL of them!

Williams used Palpatine's theme in TLJ.

2 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Im going to be honest here. The more I think about the possibility of Palpatine returning, the more stupid I think it sounds. Ignoring the fact that such a plot point would obviously be done for no reason other than for fanservice, it would also be something that would come completely out of left field. There was no foreshadowing to Palpatine’s return in TFA or TLJ. By the end of TLJ, we were led to believe Kylo Ren became the new Supreme Leader after killing Snoke, but now it turns out that Palpatine was once again behind everything? Plus, as a couple of other people have already mentioned, something like that would only serve to further cheapen the OT, and would ultimately make the entire thing feel completely inconsequential. 

With that said, maybe he won’t be coming back to life, and the laughter is a deliberate bit of misdirection. After all, if Palpatine is returning, would they really want to spoil that with the teaser?

Agree, i think that emperor's laugh was merely an marketing tool or he will be back for a brief moment as force ghost due to the fact that TLJ offended so many hard core fans that people could possibly imagine. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

With that said, maybe he won’t be coming back to life, and the laughter is a deliberate bit of misdirection. After all, if Palpatine is returning, would they really want to spoil that with the teaser?

I'm sure Ian McDiarmid appeared on stage afterwards for absolutely no reason.

===

Also, I will say this now.

I was... Not exactly a fan of Dark Empire. To put it mildly.

Just gonna say, I hope that JJ didn't crib too many points from that. ;)

Broad thrusts?  Fine.  Finer details/certain character arcs in it?  Not so much. 

(all in execution though, as always)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

My stock is up, thanks for asking.  And we have Disney+ next year!  So, not really, but nice try!

Yeah, not sure why anyone would be doubting Disney's finances at this point

4 minutes ago, tonytr87 said:

Some people don't seem to realize that Marvel is keeping the continuity going. They ain't rebooting shit and I love it. 

Yeah, it's also keeps the Marvel brand fresh and a live longer than some franchises. 

Just now, DMan7 said:

Looks like everyone is on board now after hearing a.....laugh??? What happened to all the haters of the SW movies up to this point? This is reminding me Alladin when everyone came on board after trashing the genie's look when A whole new world song played at the end of the last trailer. I think people here are too bipolar. 

People who generally disliked TLJ disliked TLJ mostly not everything Star Wars.

just because I disliked TLJ does not mean I hate the old films lol. 

• Like 2

Just now, Lordmandeep said:

Well those haters surely could've fooled me with the sort of vitriol that has been spilled on here over the past year for anything SW related. Now people are doing a 360 degree turn just from a laugh. It is just too silly when you think about it. 

So Palpatine leaks were on the money. 

Alright teaser until Palps reveal. that was great.

Rey's mid-air somersault was the dumbest thing since Legolas defying gravity in Battle of the 5 Armies.  

Nope, Rey's not Luke's. I'm sure many will read the title that way but that's not what's about. Palps confirmation now makes leaks much more connected and we finally have the story.

But I thought you said a while ago you gave it a passing grade despite spending the past year-and-a-half complaining endlessly that it ruined everything. So, which is it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Or you could say the same thing about JJ's take on TFA. GA don't hate TFA and knowing that JJ is back will persuade them to come back to this saga's final chapter. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Palps confirmation now makes leaks much more connected and we finally have the story.

I would appreciate it if you didn't talk about them openly, BTW. :)

Not saying you did here.  Just.. Rather not see discussion out in the open. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, RealCaptMarvel said:

80% chance flop overseas

Over $500M Overseas is not a flop :blink:

Edited by raulbalarezo
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

That moment when a laugh from a character from ROTJ and the Prequels gets more attention then new characters built in a new trilogy 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Great teaser, fantastic opening sequence with a Jedi vs a starfighter.

That laugh at the end blew me away. Palpatine has been the "secret" villain throughout the entire 9 films. Always hiding in the background, waiting for his moment to seize power, manipulating everything and everyone to his will.

While I understand that the title doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, it's brilliant from a marketing standpoint. Throwing Skywalker right in the title and then having Luke narrate the teaser is the perfect way to get the fans on board.

Guaranteed success.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm sure Ian McDiarmid appeared on stage afterwards for absolutely no reason.

I’m not saying we won’t see Palpatine in the movie in some capacity, but would they really want to spoil the fact that he’s going to be the big bad of the film? 

1 minute ago, Lordmandeep said:

That moment when a laugh from a character from ROTJ and the Prequels gets more attention then new characters built in a new

It ruined everything if they stayed on this course.

They clearly have not. 

you really think how this film has been marketed is not done on purpose? 

It's the power of Sheev ... it's immortal.

5 minutes ago, RealCaptMarvel said:

80% chance flop overseas

767420905_Godzillafacepalm.thumb.jpg.2f3

• Like 1