CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams back to rescue the franchise from Ruin | Tag all spoilers. TLJ discussion is allowed | Trailer Pg 440

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

So we'll finally see what it looks like when JJ takes risks. :stirthepot:

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Expectation: Rey is related to someone important from OT/PT

Subverted: Rey is a nobody just like TLJ said she is

Expectation: They'll beef up Luke's role either as a super powerful FG or bring him back to life

Subverted: Luke is a regular FG who isn't in the movie much since this trilogy isn't his story

Expectation: 30 min section covering backstory of FO and Snoke

Subverted: brief recap of Aftermath Empire's End stating Palaptine's connection to FO (they are his Contingency) and Snoke is Snoke (not Paalpatine in disguise or Plagueis or Windu or Kylo from the future, etc) 

Idk what you were really going for here, but this is why the “subverted expectations” thing is dumb. A lot of expectations were pretty ridiculous. So of course what actually happens is gonna be different.

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

However the biggest attraction to the SW9 trailer was a laugh from the Emperor...

In my Endgame opening night showing Lando appearing got loud cheers but the laugh didn't, I think because non-hardcore fans don't realize its Palpatine's laugh.

Edited by Cheebs86

32 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I've no doubt that TROS will be subverted ROTJ meaning still following ROTJ beats a la TLJ following ESB beats. Not a total copy but lots of familiarity with "if you expect this from ROTJ flip it and you'll get ________" and by flip I don't even mean complete flip either, but % of it. 

Yeah and I find this structure really annoying, especially in TFA and TLJ they barely even bother to differentiate the moment they're subverting (for example the PT had a decent amount of OT beats but made them feel a lot more distinct) so the story feels very familiar and you don't get that sense of freshness and discovery.

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

Imo to me Infinity war and Endgame went against a lot of the fan theories but the fanbase loved them still? Why they delivered on the key moments... 

I think the story line could have largely gone the way with some tweaks it did but more of a focus on actually making an more entertaining film. 

A good example is no need for a pointless 30 min escapade on another planet about helping poor animals when you are on a race against time to save the rebellion? 

I think JJ is more in tune with audience tastes so I think he will deliver on the key moments leading to a fun enjoyable experience in SW9. 

I don’t know what you watched, but Canto Bight was about much more than helping the animals.

I do agree that JJ is more crowd pleasing, so I’m excited to see how he delivers. Especially since it shouldn’t be as safe as TFA.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Idk what you were really going for here, but this is why the “subverted expectations” thing is dumb. A lot of expectations were pretty ridiculous. So of course what actually happens is gonna be different.

Bingo. Same expectations for TLJ are now just moved onto TROS. "JJ will pretend TLJ never happened and will continue TROS from TFA [insert beaten to death expectations]". They are exactly the same expectations, not new ones. 

@Menor Yep. I think that ST can be summed up in one word, Prequelphobia. Prequels were too different from what fans imagined (the Jedi weren't all righteous but actually corrupt and architects of their own downfall, Anakin's fall was largely tied to his romantic woes, Anakin wasn't Jason Statham but bratty teenager, etc)  so ST doubled down on looking and feeling like OT at the expense of universe building,  interesting characterization and putting its own unique stamp.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

JJ is doing a conclusion, something he has never done before. That alone means he is doing something very different than his typical wheelhouse.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

well, he did conclusion to his movies/shows that had conclusion, just that conclusion wasn't very good and thus his strength remains a set up but not a follow up or a wrap up. MI3 and Super 8 had shitty conclusions. STiD was a shitty follow up. Alias had a dumb conclusion too. Lost final season is entirely Lindelof's fault, however. 

Edited by Valonqar

52 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

I've no doubt that TROS will be subverted ROTJ meaning still following ROTJ beats a la TLJ following ESB beats. Not a total copy but lots of familiarity with "if you expect this from ROTJ flip it and you'll get ________" and by flip I don't even mean complete flip either, but % of it. 

I agree. But I think it’ll still feel unique like TLJ. As long as they don’t make a Starkiller Base 2 lol

They were in purgatory all along ...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

I agree. But I think it’ll still feel unique like TLJ. As long as they don’t make a Starkiller Base 2 lol

They don't need SKB 2.0 when they have downed and drowned Death Star 2.0. Doubtful it's in the movie just to sit pretty in the sea.

So we'll finally see what it looks like when JJ takes risks. :stirthepot:

ROFL,  keep dreaming!  This ain't happening

They don't need SKB 2.0 when they have downed and drowned Death Star 2.0. Doubtful it's in the movie just to sit pretty in the sea.

It won’t really be another Death Star unless they have Palpatine rebuild it. Man I hope they don’t do that

• Haha 1

Maybe it's related to Palpatine plotline since that's where he "died" in ROTJ. I'm not a huge fan of bringing back Palps but better that than another Death Star climax.

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

Maybe it's related to Palpatine plotline since that's where he "died" in ROTJ. I'm not a huge fan of bringing back Palps but better that than another Death Star climax.

Be prepared to see Force Ghost Palpatine tell Rey/Luke that the wreck of the Death Star 2 is actually fully operational and will crush the Rebel Alliance.  Rey will say that they actually called the Resistance, but FG Palpatine will say it doesn't matter because they are rebel scum.  Kylon Ren will end up throwing him down a (Force Ghost) shaft and Ewoks will save the day.   

By the way, TROS opens up on Tatoine and Rey will save Finn (who is currently frozen in carbonite) from a crime lord.  Poe will be wearing a Borat style bikini while being enslaved by that unnamed crime lord. 

• Like 1

This is an official BTS image from SWCC. Look what's on the screen behind that officer in a hat:

rn8e58gc0vr21.jpg

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This is an official BTS image from SWCC. Look what's on the screen behind that officer in a hat:

rn8e58gc0vr21.jpg

Looks like Starkiller Base... better not be a 2.0. They’re not dumb enough to rehash that storyline again.... right?