CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams back to rescue the franchise from Ruin | Tag all spoilers. TLJ discussion is allowed | Trailer Pg 440

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

Views for this are excellent, really great, and also perform like an actual blockbuster trailer even being just an special look, it seems like there’s plenty buzz for this afterall

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Views are stuck at a massive 11M after 24h, End Game better watch out because this big boy is coming to break all it's records.

tenor.gif

No one here expect this to break any EG records and it doesn’t need that

Also, views are just fabulous considering this is not a trailer, so... what’s your point?

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I was one of the bigger TLJ apologists on this board but it does feel like it's sapped quite a bit of energy from this film's hype. As finales go this should be freight-train on the scale of Endgame given TFA's impact but instead it feels strangely perfunctionary. Perhaps a bit of in-check expectations will help its reception in the long run. 

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 3

Episode IX only has to beat "TLJ" 624 to uphold the 40 plus year Box Office Pattern of up, down, up Domestic.   This isn't about beating "Endgame".  With that said, "Endgame" did not beat "Awakens" Domestically despite having a 100 Million head start.   Right now I think Episode IX should target "Infinity War" or "Black Panther" Domestically.  670-700.    Even with "Jumanji" as competition last time, "TLJ" still managed over 620.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

If it beats TLJ or even if it gets to 600 million this will be the most commercially and critically successful trilogy in cinematic history (assuming TROS can get 90% rottentomatoes like TFA  and TLJ)

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

Views are stuck at a massive 11M after 24h, End Game better watch out because this big boy is coming to break all it's records.

tenor.gif

You sound desperate. The views for this are excellent. 

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I feel very confident in saying 700 million domestic is the floor for this movie. 

Can we stop using words like "floor" and "ceiling"? "Floor" means that it'll 100% will happen, and $700M is such a high bar. Statistically speaking, $700M worldwide isn't the floor, but theres a 99.999% chance that it'll happen. I think the range will be $550M to $850M. 

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, StarWarsMemer said:

Can we stop using words like "floor" and "ceiling"? "Floor" means that it'll 100% will happen,

But if that's what I believe then why would I stop using that word? I 100% believe 700 mil domestic is the minimum this movie will make. 

Why does it bother you that I'm that certain? If I'm wrong, I'm the one who gets to say "whoops, I was wrong" later, not you... And besides: Who really cares if I'm wrong? I don't... It doesn't really matter if I guess the box-office of a Star Wars movie incorrectly. This is a pretty low-stakes game we're all playing here, LOL...

editing to add: I'm not willing to be that confident in calling the Opening Weekend numbers, though. I don't know what this movie is going to open to. I feel very confident in saying it'll be over 200 mil domestic at least, but I don't know how much higher than that it'll go.... I guess if I wanted to be "safe" with my prediction it'd be somewhere between 200-300. That's a very roomy range...

Edited by LawrenceBrolivier
  • Like 2

53 minutes ago, LawrenceBrolivier said:

I feel very confident in saying 700 million domestic is the floor for this movie. 

Lol, not even close. A floor is a worst case scenario. If this were to get TLJ reception coming off of TLJ and Solo, it would be lucky to scrape by 500. Not that I think TLJ reception would happen, but you can't rule out bad reception. 

Man, this looks bad. For someone who is a huge Star Wars fan, I feel no hype for this at all. 

It just reeks of desperation on Disney's part, too much course correction, too much fan service.

Also, Rey's new lightsaber has to be the goofiest thing since Anakin waxed poetic about sand.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 2

7 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Lol, not even close. A floor is a worst case scenario. 

Why do you guys think I don't understand what "The floor" means? I think 700 mil domestic IS "TLJ reception" for this movie.... Besides, TLJ reception wasn't bad at all. Most people liked it a lot...

It's weird how putting a number out there is at all controversial on a box-office message board... Should I have made my uber-safe prediction in a 300 million dollar range first and backed slowly into saying what I really think over the course of a couple months? 

7 minutes ago, The Stingray said:

Man, this looks bad. For someone who is a huge Star Wars fan, I feel no hype for this at all. 

It just reeks of desperation on Disney's part, too much course correction, too much fan service.

Also, Rey's new lightsaber has to be the goofiest thing since Anakin waxed poetic about sand.

No Hype?  It got 35 Million fews as a "Special Look" and had 5 different top trends on Twitter.

Where is the desperation and course correction exactly?  I don't see any of that.  Why would they not highlight that this movie is the end of a 42 year Saga?

The complaint about Rey's lightsaber is fair enough. 

Rey's lightsaber is really really wonky looking. I hope it's just a bad case of unfinished effects, because if what we saw in the trailer ends up in the movie it's going to be laughable. 

Posted (edited)

I like the clone theory the best

Ties up all the loose ends without being too unconvincing or forced out of nowhere and isn't a cop out like a vision/dream sequence

She asked to see her parents in the mirror scene and all she got was...herself (clone!)

The Rey we know was a faulty clone (resistant to the dark side) so she got dumped on Jakku (in line with her vision in TFA)

I remember that leaked alleged opening scene of TFA with Luke's hand floating in space from years ago, that could definitely be a source for cloning ;) Maybe that's why Luke's saber calls to her

I also saw a "Emperor possessed Snoke all along and is now possessing the Dark Rey clone" theory... I'm fine with that too

Edited by Royce
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, darthdevidem01 said:

If it beats TLJ or even if it gets to 600 million this will be the most commercially and critically successful trilogy in cinematic history (assuming TROS can get 90% rottentomatoes like TFA  and TLJ)

This only goes for the Domsitic market obviously so about 5% of the world population or 33% of the world's boxoffice. 

Edited by pepsa

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, pepsa said:

This only goes for the Domsitic market obviously so about 5% of the world population or 33% of the world's boxoffice. 

Let's say TROS does 600. I still don't understand the basis for saying it's the most commercially and critically successful trilogy of all time domestically. In what metric does it beat the OT? I'm not trying to bash on the ST's success but the OT was just dominant.

Edited by Menor
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Menor said:

Let's say TROS does 600. I still don't understand the basis for saying it's the most commercially and critically successful trilogy of all time domestically. In what metric does it beat the OT? I'm not trying to bash on the ST's success but the OT was just dominant.

OT might be bigger, it probably is I have no clue how big it was. And just adjusting for inflation is pretty dumb in my opinion. 

But seeing what it did to the culture the OT will be *20 what this trilogy did. 

53 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Um, no, it would be true worldwide as well. There is no other trilogy that was as big financially.

Now, that's obviously rather meaningless, because it is hard to compare it to past hits, like the original trilogy or LOTR, and not everything ran in trilogies either (e.g. Avengers 2, 3 and 4 would be bigger, but those movies aren't a trilogy), but the statement in itself would still very much be true worldwide.