CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams back to rescue the franchise from Ruin | Tag all spoilers. TLJ discussion is allowed | Trailer Pg 440

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

16 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

Suuuuureeee. SW is still SW. no one walks away from this because they want to lol

Not sure what these mega-contracts that corporations have been handing out to content creators lately mean exactly but if Netflix is spending anything close to "$200 million", it was never likely that they would let the GoT creators embark on a multi-year movie project. Their departure was almost a given the second it was signed (and same goes for JJ's involvement with SW in the coming years).

7 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Well worldwide GOT was a bigger event than the new Star Wars franchise so if anything Disney are missing out

In terms of embarrassment for sure. TLJ has defenders, GoT8 doesn't.

• Like 1
  • Disbelief 1

12 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

In terms of embarrassment for sure. TLJ has defenders, GoT8 doesn't.

What dream world do you live in where TLJ has more defenders than Season 8? The season sucked but it was still better recieved than TLJ which single handedly killed one of the biggest franchises of all time, now that's embarrassing 

Edited by Chucky
  • Not Cool 3

Just now, Chucky said:

What dream world do you live in where TLJ has more defenders than Season 8? The season sucked but it was still better recieved than TLJ which single handedly killed one of the biggest franchises of all time 

What is that tone you are using here lol "dream world"? Where exactly is GoT8 better received than TLJ? Certainly not with critics. Doesn't appear to be with the audience either. "Killed"? you cannot make that statement before TROS premiered.

• Like 1

lol @ D&D rushing the shit out of GOT end to go do Star Wars that they're now stepping away from

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

Where exactly is GoT8 better received than TLJ?

Awards? :monopoly:

2 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

Doesn't appear to be with the audience either.

Viewership for GoT didn't decline, in fact it increased for every season (a very rare feat for a serialized, long-running drama) and the finale was the most-watched episode of the entire series. In general, it is hard to overstate the success of GoT and its influence on the entire industry.

Anyway, we will have to wait and see what Disney does with SW after ROTSky. But it is possible that it is going on hiatus in theaters for a few years (see Iger's comments) and will retreat to Disney+. Unless Feige unveils one of his five-year plan for a new SWCU a couple of months after Episode IX.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

What is that tone you are using here lol "dream world"? Where exactly is GoT8 better received than TLJ? Certainly not with critics. Doesn't appear to be with the audience either. "Killed"? you cannot make that statement before TROS premiered.

Dont bring up critics to argue TLJ was better recieved, it makes you look stupid. The only people I've ever witnessed defending TLJ are all in this forum. Back to the point, GOT for all its hate was still a bigger event than even TFA and after seeing all the hate Rian Johnson got I'd be reluctant to venture into the world of star wars too. It's a dying franchise, for now, let it get some rest before they truly kill it

• Haha 3
  • Not Cool 1

1 minute ago, Chucky said:

Dont bring up critics to argue TLJ was better recieved, it makes you look stupid. The only people I've ever witnessed defending TLJ are all in this forum. Back to the point, GOT for all its hate was still a bigger event than even TFA and after seeing all the hate Rian Johnson got I'd be reluctant to venture into the world of star wars too. It's a dying franchise, for now, let it get some rest before they truly kill it

I don't have conversations with people who talk to others this way, so bye.

8 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Awards? :monopoly:

Viewership for GoT didn't decline, in fact it increased for every season (a very rare feat for a serialized, long-running drama) and the finale was the most-watched episode of the entire series. In general, it is hard to overstate the success of GoT and its influence on the entire industry.

Anyway, we will have to wait and see what Disney does with SW after ROTSky. But it is possible that it is going on hiatus in theaters for a few years (see Iger's comments) and will retreat to Disney+. Unless Feige unveils one of his five-year plan for a new SWCU a couple of months after Episode IX.

It was the biggest show on the planet, of course people tuned in to watch it. The damage will be evident when the interest for the prequels is minuscule.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, harlequinade said:

It was the biggest show on the planet, of course people tuned in to watch it. The damage will be evident when the interest for the prequels is minuscule.

It was the biggest film of the year, of course people tuned in to watch it, the damage was evident when interest for the prequel (Solo) was minuscule

The irony 

Edited by Chucky
  • Haha 2
  • Not Cool 1

GOT is bigger than Star wars these days, for sure...

• Sad 1

People arguing whether TLJ or GoT8 were received worse remind me of people online arguing about whether Stalin was worse than Hitler. Like, both were pretty badly received. 

• Haha 1

I've seen a ton of people absolutely loving TLJ and has it right at the top of their favorite Star Wars movies ever.

I ain't seen a single damn person love GOT S8 and think it's the best season of the show.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

2 minutes ago, Lucas said:

I've seen a ton of people absolutely loving TLJ and has it right at the top of their favorite Star Wars movies ever.

I ain't seen a single damn person love GOT S8 and think it's the best season of the show.

Because GOT has some truly amazing seasons, star wars has 1 great movie

• Thanks 1
  • Astonished 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Not Cool 1

It seems to me that LFL is purging SW of controversial elements and trying to build the franchise with talent that has street cred with fans (Feige). Massively hated D&D out. TROS finishing the Saga and no X-XII with these boring bland characters good riddance. Rian trilogy with no schedule, very likely won't happen or at least will have to wait for Feige to fix what's broken. 

In short, all the right moves.

Edited by Valonqar

Moderation: Please keep discussions civil and refrain from personal attacks and insults. 

Also we have had enough of which movies/run is bigger wankfest in the weekend thread. Posts on whether GOT8 or TLJ was better does not belong in this thread. The Fanboy Wars thread exists for this sole reason. Compare and troll to your hearts content there.

Keep this thread on topic and in reference to TROS. We already have a thread about D&B Star wars movies where this development can be discussed https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/25551-new-star-wars-films-maybe-a-trilogy-maybe-not-one-maybe-none-not-from-game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-db-weiss-at-the-very-least/

Thank You. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Chucky said:

dream world

Season 8 sucked but it was still better recieved than TLJ 

I think you may have switched up the dream worlds here

In any case, I think Lucasfilm is gonna wait for Episode 9 to come out and deploy for a bit before making any official moves filmwise (or otherwise). This lines up with Rise of the Resistance coming out December 5th in Orlando Galaxy's Edge and Star Tours getting an Episode 9 update the day it comes out.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 4

40 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

It seems to me that LFL is purging SW of controversial elements and trying to build the franchise with talent that has street cred with fans (Feige). Massively hated D&D out. TROS finishing the Saga and no X-XII with these boring bland characters good riddance. Rian trilogy with no schedule, very likely won't happen or at least will have to wait for Feige to fix what's broken. 

In short, all the right moves.

I don't think we're at that point yet where LFL does sensible moves for damage mitigation. Remember D&D walked out on LFL not the other way around, because LFL was just wasting their time. Rian Johnson won't get a five year netflix deal, so if LFL is still wasting his time, he will just make another movie after Knives out but he won't officially be out because he's still "talking with them". 

I still say they are not sure what to do and are waiting for TRoS results and are waiting to see if the theme parks pick up and no one can make any major decisions until they see how big the damage is.  They now have 3-4 billions invested into Star Wars Lands and a Star Wars hotel. And It was LFL brilliant idea for all these things to be sequel themed. Imagine the incompetence not to have Luke Skywalker walking around in Star Wars Land but instead you have Vi Moradi. It's not really about box office anymore, everything is tied together.

Edited by mikee11

18 minutes ago, 4815162342 said:

I think you may have switched up the dream worlds here

In any case, I think Lucasfilm is gonna wait for Episode 9 to come out and deploy for a bit before making any official moves filmwise (or otherwise). This lines up with Rise of the Resistance coming out Decemver 5th in Orlando Galaxy's Edge and Star Tours getting an Episode 9 update the day it comes out.

Well social media and views seem to indicate I'm right but obviously box office theory forums know more...

For the record I preferred TLJ to S8, it was nice having Luke skywalker finally becoming an interesting character and its imo the most visually stunning star wars film yet

• Like 1