CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams back to rescue the franchise from Ruin | Tag all spoilers. TLJ discussion is allowed | Trailer Pg 440

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

44 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

Moderation: Please keep discussions civil and refrain from personal attacks and insults. 

Also we have had enough of which movies/run is bigger wankfest in the weekend thread. Posts on whether GOT8 or TLJ was better does not belong in this thread. The Fanboy Wars thread exists for this sole reason. Compare and troll to your hearts content there.

Keep this thread on topic and in reference to TROS. We already have a thread about D&B Star wars movies where this development can be discussed https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/topic/25551-new-star-wars-films-maybe-a-trilogy-maybe-not-one-maybe-none-not-from-game-of-thrones-creators-david-benioff-and-db-weiss-at-the-very-least/

Thank You. 

Sorry I saw this too late 

3 hours ago, Chucky said:

Dont bring up critics to argue TLJ was better recieved, it makes you look stupid. The only people I've ever witnessed defending TLJ are all in this forum. Back to the point, GOT for all its hate was still a bigger event than even TFA and after seeing all the hate Rian Johnson got I'd be reluctant to venture into the world of star wars too. It's a dying franchise, for now, let it get some rest before they truly kill it

I'm not sure I'd agree that S8 was a bigger deal than Force Awakens, but I could certainly see an argument that it was definitely the buzziest entertainment property of this year, even over Endgame. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

I'm not sure I'd agree that S8 was a bigger deal than Force Awakens, but I could certainly see an argument that it was definitely the buzziest entertainment property of this year, even over Endgame. 

I'm confused by this as I would say Endgame was a bigger deal than TFA though in western countries i'd agree TFA was a bigger deal. The difference was the advertising though, TFA was everywhere in that respect, even supermarkets had apples sold under the star wars brand, it was force fed (pun intended) to us through the Christmas months of 2015. I just remember how I couldnt scroll through Facebook without seeing countless posts or articles about GOT, it was even being discussed in articles completely unrelated to the show even if the advertisement wasnt around every corner.

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

I'm confused by this as I would say Endgame was a bigger deal than TFA though in western countries i'd agree TFA was a bigger deal. The difference was the advertising though, TFA was everywhere in that respect, even supermarkets had apples sold under the star wars brand, it was force fed (pun intended) to us through the Christmas months of 2015. I just remember how I couldnt scroll through Facebook without seeing countless posts or articles about GOT, it was even being discussed in articles completely unrelated to the show even if the advertisement wasnt around every corner.

I can't speak for other places in the world, but GoT and TFA had similar levels of hype here in the UK, with Endgame fractionally behind. They're all pretty close though. 

5 hours ago, Chucky said:

Dont bring up critics to argue TLJ was better recieved, it makes you look stupid. The only people I've ever witnessed defending TLJ are all in this forum. Back to the point, GOT for all its hate was still a bigger event than even TFA and after seeing all the hate Rian Johnson got I'd be reluctant to venture into the world of star wars too. It's a dying franchise, for now, let it get some rest before they truly kill it

Care to explain how a “dying franchise” is tracking to have a 200m domestic opening weekend?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chucky said:

Endgame was definitely bigger/more buzzed about than TFA worldwide. It's pretty close with GOT on Google Trends at least though. The premiere (which was GOT's peak in search interest) is slightly ahead of Endgame's peak at release.

5 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

lol @ D&D rushing the shit out of GOT end to go do Star Wars that they're now stepping away from

For a streaming service that won't survive the 2020's.

41 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

begun the streaming wars has

1 hour ago, Menor said:

Endgame was definitely bigger/more buzzed about than TFA worldwide. It's pretty close with GOT on Google Trends at least though. The premiere (which was GOT's peak in search interest) is slightly ahead of Endgame's peak at release.

Got has the advantage of being free to watch 

18 minutes ago, Chucky said:

Got has the advantage of being free to watch 

?

4 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

?

If it's free to watch it's easier to have more viewers which will tend to equate to more buzz. I'm sure something like Birdbox wouldnt have had anywhere near the buzz it got had it been released straight into theatres 

Just now, Chucky said:

If it's free to watch it's easier to have more viewers which will tend to equate to more buzz. I'm sure something like Birdbox wouldnt have had anywhere near the buzz it got had it been released straight into theatres 

Yeah, but it's not free. In fact, it was one of the key subscription-drivers for HBO and European streaming services that carry it (like NOW TV). Something like Birdbox won't make people subscribe to Netflix, but GOT will make people subscribe to GoT. Of course, far more people are more likely to resort to piracy, but that would be the same case with the movie as well, should a 4k copy be available to download an hour after premiere.

The fact remains that the buzz around GoT was insane.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

I just want this movie to be good.

I have no idea how this film is gonna turn out tbh 

Both good and bad

A little levity is in order, I think.

From the same person who brought us this:

Comes a new addition:

===

Some better looks at it:

and at night:

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

21 hours ago, The Futurist said:

HBO platform does suck. Netflix is easy to load on up gift cards to subsidize. Disney + is insanely cheap. Hoping hulu premium has a black Friday. I'd buy like several years worth.

Star wars movie is gonna be awesome.

Edited by cdsacken
  • Like 1