CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams back to rescue the franchise from Ruin | Tag all spoilers. TLJ discussion is allowed | Trailer Pg 440

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

7 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'd ask what the hell TLJGang is supposed to stand for but I won't.

I mean I KNOW it's probably The Last Jedi Gang but in what context?

not sure either, but apparently its too hot for this topic

10 minutes ago, Morieris said:

I'd ask what the hell TLJGang is supposed to stand for but I won't.

I mean I KNOW it's probably The Last Jedi Gang but in what context?

Twitter fan wars, I think.

22 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I actually agree with Iger;The "One SW Film A Year" schedule was a mistake; it guaranteed audience fatigue and you had the whole "quanity is often the enemy of quality" problem. 

As much as I’ve enjoyed the 4 films than Disney has produced (yep, all of them), I have to admit that I prefer them having a few years between releases, it feels like more of an event that way, and if any franchise should feel like an event, it’s Star Wars.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

As much as I’ve enjoyed the 4 films than Disney has produced (yep, all of them), I have to admit that I prefer them having a few years between releases, it feels like more of an event that way, and if any franchise should feel like an event, it’s Star Wars.

Exactly. When you have a film a year, it pretty much ceases to be an event. and becomes "more of the same".

• Like 1

Oh, goodie.  This topic again.

Agreed with these takes, 100 percent.  Especially when it comes to marketing.  The idea that we can have only one SW movie every two years is silly in the extreme and no the bombage of Solo doesn't prove otherwise.  Not one little bit.

Grow the damn base and stop trying to only rely on folks who already love it.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 8

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Oh, goodie.  This topic again.

Agreed with these takes, 100 percent.  Especially when it comes to marketing.  The idea that we can have only one SW movie every two years is silly in the extreme and no the bombage of Solo doesn't prove otherwise.  Not one little bit.

Absolutely agree as well. The other thing is, as we see cinema admissions continue to fall year after year, something that goes hand in hand with that is people are getting more out of touch with movies in general. Maybe WE here don't need it to be in our faces but for the GA you need to hit them hard with the marketing, even for Marvel and Star Wars. The GA loves Marvel Studios films and even then you need the marketing to be on point.

So yes. Especially with Star Wars because it's not the #1 franchise for the GA anymore they can't take the interest for granted. I miss the buildup for TFA in 2015. This time 4 years ago, everywhere you went you saw Star Wars stuff and you could just feel something HUGE was coming. We're not getting that for TRoS and it didn't feel like we got that 2 years ago for TLJ either.

• Like 2

I want Star Wars to feel like an event with a big lead up and anticipation.  I love the movies, but if you make them all the time they are going to lose some of the things that make them special.  I promise you if they start pumping out movies twice a year, its not going to end well.  I would watch the hell out of them, but it would not do the BO favors and the interest levels would diminish (although still be very respectable).  Hell, go back to the PT and make it every THREE years for a film!  We would be STARVING

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Can always rely Jordan Maison for sensible takes. And agreed I think maybe sometimes the perception if they franchise is skewed in America since it has been ingrained in pop culture for a long time while that simply isn't the case in many other place. The only way for Star Wars to continue is to grow and it's only going to grow if you expand on what it can be. 

The 2022 film is going to be crucial so I think I do agree with Iger for now it's best to take a break to make sure that film is as good as it can be.

• Like 2

I don't care as long as they're good but I do like having SW in December. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I want Star Wars to feel like an event with a big lead up and anticipation.  I love the movies, but if you make them all the time they are going to lose some of the things that make them special.  I promise you if they start pumping out movies twice a year, its not going to end well.  I would watch the hell out of them, but it would not do the BO favors and the interest levels would diminish (although still be very respectable).  Hell, go back to the PT and make it every THREE years for a film!  We would be STARVING

The main problem with that is, and especially if they're trilogies, is if one film doesn't take it can do tremendous harm to the brand.

Look at all the trouble DC has had getting out of the shadow of Synder.  Look at the ripple effects from the mixed reaction to TLJ and the meh reaction (at best) to Solo.

It's basically putting all your eggs in one basket.  Making more movies spreads the risk around a bit.  Again, look at how DC is rebounding as people find things they like.

Now I won't deny that there are sensible points to a one every two year cycle.  I disagree with them pretty strongly, but I don't deny there are valid points to make.

But this culture of secrecy and spoilerphobia and in general not engaging with the entertainment press is a tremendously risky move.  And it's a stance I've held for a long time.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Just now, Porthos said:

The main problem with that is, and especially if they're trilogies, is if one film doesn't take it can do tremendous harm to the brand.

Look at all the trouble DC has had getting out of the shadow of Synder.  Look at the ripple effects from the mixed reaction to TLJ and the meh reaction (at best) to Solo.

It's basically putting all your eggs in one basket.  Making more movies spreads the risk around a bit.  Again, look at how DC is rebounding as people find things they like.

Now I won't deny that there are sensible points to a one every two year cycle.  I disagree with them pretty strongly, but I don't deny there are valid points to make.

But this culture of secrecy and spoilerphobia and in general not engaging with the entertainment press is a tremendously risky move.  And it's a stance I've held for a long time.

Like, take Rogue One.  Tremendously popular movie.  TFA's shadow undoubtedly helped.  So did the killer third act.

It was also the one SW movie where we ACTUALLY knew the basic plot for MONTHS, if not yearsSolo?  TLJ?  TFA and TROS?  Much more of mystery box "sell it on look/feel" marketing.  When they bothered to market Solo at all, that is.  Hell, we even knew the emotional stakes of R1 well ahead of time (the father-daughter storyline).

R1 might be the one movie where Disney/Lucasfilm went more to the traditional well of marketing, though they still froze out the entertaiment press to a large degree.  And, hey look, people lapped it up in droves, even with the behind the scenes turmoil.

So, like I said, I can understand the drive for "epic" or building up a frenzy.  But I also have think Disney needs a tremendous re-think about how it markets SW movies in the future.  And the sooner it gets away from the JJ Mystery Box paradigm, the better.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Like, take Rogue One.  Tremendously popular movie.  TFA's shadow undoubtedly helped.  So did the killer third act.

It was also the one SW movie where we ACTUALLY knew the basic plot for MONTHS, if not yearsSolo?  TLJ?  TFA and TROS?  Much more of mystery box "sell it on look/feel" marketing.  When they bothered to market Solo at all, that is.  Hell, we even knew the emotional stakes of R1 well ahead of time (the father-daughter storyline).

R1 might be the one movie where Disney/Lucasfilm went more to the traditional well of marketing, though they still froze out the entertaiment press to a large degree.  And, hey look, people lapped it up in droves, even with the behind the scenes turmoil.

So, like I said, I can understand the drive for "epic" or building up a frenzy.  But I also have think Disney needs a tremendous re-think about how it markets SW movies in the future.  And the sooner it gets away from the JJ Mystery Box paradigm, the better.

I think it was fine for TFA and TLJ as the first had built in demand, and TLJ's hook was the final scene of TFA. But definitely the marketing for Solo sucked and TROS, while good for many of us fans, I'm not sure whether that style will pay off.

• Like 1

I blame JJ Abrams a bit for the whole "mystery box" aspect of the sequel trilogy at least. I think TLJ's marketing was a bit more open than TFA or TROS.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Idk if I agree with multiple films per year, but once per year is perfect.

It’s unfortunate that Avatar is taking December slots(sorry Avatar fans). Because I love when December is Star Wars time. But really anytime of the year works for me.

12 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Idk if I agree with multiple films per year, but once per year is perfect.

I'm a big fan of Star Wars in December too. 

Edit: shit I quoted the wrong person 😂

Edited by cheesypoofs

On 11/2/2019 at 4:40 PM, Ryan Reynolds said:

probably not really anything big, but who knows

On the hierarchy of things it could have been, I suppose this one is actually pretty decent.  Goes with the other premiere trip winning packages out there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

On the hierarchy of things it could have been, I suppose this one is actually pretty decent.  Goes with the other premiere trip winning packages out there.

More premiere night chances to win:

• Like 1