CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams back to rescue the franchise from Ruin | Tag all spoilers. TLJ discussion is allowed | Trailer Pg 440

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

6 hours ago, Porthos said:

Seriously though, I've been saying for months now that once Disney has a sense of how popular The Mandalorian is, and just how many views it gets, then the floodgate might open when it comes to streaming content.  

The other factor is, of course, how well TROS does, though that's a bit more on the movie end of the equation.

But if Mando hits it out of the park and if people keep being hyped for Kenobi and if The Clone Wars Season Seven is received as it looks to be, Disney would be fools not to open the spigot on SW streaming.

Say what you will about SW fatigue when it comes to movies (I'm in the skeptical camp, as most folks know).  But streaming TV?  I really am at a loss how there can be SW fatigue there.  It's practically the perfect platform for lots and lots of (slightly) more narrowcasted targeting.  

Give me a Bane and Zannah show.  :sarah:

• Like 1

digging into Executive Decision (1996) on Netflix, 10 minutes in, and its already one of the best movies of the year.  maybe its the hand-held cameras from political thrillers of the 90s.  no, those are big cameras.   you feel like your there though.  

oh great, now they are showing wedding gifts

Edited by belligerent talking robot

8 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

This is because LOTR was made by a then hungry overweight man-child that dreamed of seeing LOTR brought to life since he was a kid.  LOTR was a passion project through and through and it shows from the moment we see alliance of men and elves at the end of the 2nd age marching against Sauron on the slopes of Mount Doom to Frodo, Bilbo, and Gandalf sailing to the undying lands.  IMO thats what is sorely missing from these new Star Wars movies, they feel like nostalgic market researched corporate products with some comically pandering on-the-nose nonsense and no real stakes.  At the end of Empire, Luke lost his hand after getting his ass kicked by Vader and Han Solo was frozen in carbonate.  What are we left with at the end of TLJ?  Pretty much nothing which is probably why they they arbitrarily brought back Palpatine after they realized they shit the bed.  You guys remember Palpatine?  He was pretty cool, huh?  Well, here he is!

giphy.gif

Edited by Valonqar
  • Thanks 1

IMO, KOTOR would be great for a TV series like GOT instead of abbreviating it for movie format even if it's a series of movies. GOT was the most epic thing on the screen whether big or small so that shows that TV is no more a cheap thing. Mandalorian clearly has the budget to rival big movies so if a story is such that weekly episodes fit better than 2 and a half hour movies, by all means go for it. Spectacle obviously won't be lost. 

5 hours ago, mikee11 said:

Are their 2022 plans put on break so maybe first part of new trilogy in 2024 ? Seems so far away

45 minutes ago, mikee11 said:

Are their 2022 plans put on break so maybe first part of new trilogy in 2024 ? Seems so far away

It's hard to gauge what's going on from non-descript speak aimed at placating shareholders. "We are making many SW shows". "We have 2022 as a tentative date for the next movie". That's all very vague and subject to changes. IMO, it's really "I have to say something encouraging but we have nothing firm yet and might not have it for some time".  

IMO, their priority now is to see how TROS and Mando do and then adjust their plans and news to that. 

Edited by Valonqar

Edited by ZackM
Wrong thread

Here's the way I see TROS box office shaping up for the first couple of weeks.

1. Thursday: Those who would get tickets for the first night would do so no matter what. They made that decision already. They won't be that different from TLJ. Maybe even higher but not much lower if at all.

2. OW: There are also those who have made the past 4 years a tradition to see SW on its OW. So those numbers may not change barring those who are disgruntled from TLJ. It's always big fans who do that anyway. On the positive side, Sunday will see a much better hold than TLJ's first Sunday since the following week is a holiday week for all. Between $215-$230 million.

3. First Mid-week: More like TLJ's second mid-week. Well, actually better (TLJ was a little drained by then). Sure, Tuesday is Christmas Eve BUT Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday will be huge. The first mid-week as Christmas which is major.

4. Second Weekend: Obviously a better hold than than TLJ. No Eve to disrupt it.  Only bad WOM will do damage. If it is well liked, skies the limit.

5. Second Mid-week: This is where the difference will be seen. TLJ and TFA had immense second mid-weeks. TROS will take a hit. New Years even and January 2 will see drops from their previous days. If we follow Two Towers and Hobbit 2, those drops can be anywhere between 30-50%. But, maybe for this movie it will be less. Hard to say.

6. Third weekend: This is where things REALLY get questionable.  Neither TT or Hob3 saw good increases from Thursday, January 2 to Friday, January 3. I actually expect a substantial drop from weekend 2 to weekend 3 with a considerably large drop from Saturday to Sunday. I don't expect anything like TLJ's 2nd weekend drop, but 50-60%, depending on whether repeat business is strong, may be seen. Hopefully not though.

After that, who knows. It will be all about repeat business and WOM beyond that.

All in all, the movie's first 17 days SHOULD end up higher than TLJ's first 17 days ($517 million).

• Like 3

I hope, after first 17 days, it will be well over 550mil :) or closer to 600,
I can dream right? :) but it's not that unrealistic :)

Marek

3 hours ago, mikee11 said:

I don't see why they would be.  They've been using the "hiatus" term all year long, even when that 2022/24/26 slate was announced.

4 minutes ago, Marek the Jedi said:

I hope, after first 17 days, it will be well over 550mil :) or closer to 600,
I can dream right? :) but it's not that unrealistic :)

Marek

If it does solid business, $550 million is very doable and maybe even likely. $600 million is a bit iffy but who knows. It will need a MASSIVE OW (possibly higher than TFA) to do that probably.

10 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

any news on the tracking?

Initial Tracking won't be out for at least another three weeks.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Initial Tracking won't be out for at least another three weeks.

Ahh thanks, if i May ask, How does one change one's Avatar or profile Image on here?

9 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

Ahh thanks, if i May ask, How does one change one's Avatar or profile Image on here?

I don't know if you need a certain number of posts or not, but just click on your own current avatar and that'll bring up your profile page.  There'll be a little box inside your avatar on that page that says "Profile Photo" and clicking on that is how you can change your avatar.  Probably other ways as well, but that's the way I usually do it.

2 hours ago, Porthos said:

I don't know if you need a certain number of posts or not, but just click on your own current avatar and that'll bring up your profile page.  There'll be a little box inside your avatar on that page that says "Profile Photo" and clicking on that is how you can change your avatar.  Probably other ways as well, but that's the way I usually do it.

I think I probably need more posts as the profile thingy doesn't pop up for me.

11 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

I think I probably need more posts as the profile thingy doesn't pop up for me.

Try clicking on this link, as it should put you on your profile page:

https://forums.boxofficetheory.com/profile/40495-jabbasmoofmilker/

Then on the thing that currently says "J" look for this:

6JqnXnk.png

If you can see that there, clicking on that should let you change your avatar.

If you can't, probably need more posts then. :)