CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

3 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Jolie as a villain in Star Wars would work , definitely not enough female villains

Too famous, it would be distracting. Although she does have that disturbing, skeletal alien look.

Edited by Hunch

6 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

I loved Adam Driver in The Last Jedi. So, if he really does take it to a new level in TRoS, count me even more in 😂

It's still so hilarious to me how JJ Abrams is hailed as some kind of "visionary" and a "genius" when all he's done is create that overblown overrated TV show and rip off, I'm sorry, "reimagine" already-established franchises. 

• Thanks 2
  • Not Cool 2

8 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

That’s what I think he means by last sequence

I take that back. If Kevin Smith only saw one set, then it must be all in one place. Which probably means it is centered around one character. I’m a big believer in Bendemption, so I think it’ll be centered on him

Smith haven't seen anything. He was just told that the set for the last shot (that now seems to be last sequence rather than 1 shot) would blow his mind so he passed on seeing it (in order to get surprised when he's watching the movie). My guess is that it's a recreation of the familiar set, not something new. So sequence doesn't have to be a montage of several characters, it could be something involving 1 or 2 doing something, like lets say Jon Snow going beyond the wall (instead of intercutting with Sansa and Arya). 

TL;DW: The ending is less controversial than GoT in Daisy's opinion. On whether Kylo is redeemable, she said, "Is an apology ever enough? Will actions speak louder than words? Where will we end up? ...And that is a question posed by the film." And all the questions she wanted answered about Rey were answered.

Edited by Inceptionzq
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think that certain thing from that interview (same question that JJ answered in his own way) is certain at this point, but the mystery is how it'll play out not whether it's possible at all. 

I think concerning Kylo:

Spoiler

I think way back in TFA that he was capable of redemption was established. Remember how he was genuinely reluctant to torture Rey  in the interrogation scene?

I just want to point out that a lot of the rumors and speculation about the film are going to prove to be pure Bullshit whan the film opens.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I just want to point out that a lot of the rumors and speculation about the film are going to prove to be pure Bullshit whan the film opens.

well yeah a lot of people online got the whole entire plot for endgame mostly wrong. 

11 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I hope the ending is less controversial than GOT, like damn 😅

You laugh, but there are plenty of pitfalls and mind fields for TROS.  I already highlighted what I think is the biggest, but even executing simple and allegedly fan-pleasing plots can be fraught of peril.

Still, that might, might, cross off some of the more worrisome plotlines.

On the other hand, endings are notoriously hard to deliver. Especially for a fandom that collectively could put a ward full of colicy babies to shame when it comes to fussiness.  BSG, LostSopranos, are a few that come to mind from the TV side of the ledger that were highly controversial as well, if for different reasons. 

When it comes right down to it, the "I don't like the ending" factor is real and shouldn't be discounted.  The more clever the attempt at the ending, the more the degree of difficulty there is in sticking the landing.

I don't think it's going to be a huge problem (I wouldn't have created my club if I did).  But at the same time, I'd be a fool to discount the possibility. Especially as Disney keeps ramping up the All Saga nature of the marketing.

• Like 4

I thought "Return of the Jedi" was a great ending to the OT and "Revenge of the Sith" just hit all the right notes for me to close out the Prequels.   JJ has a much harder job doing this last chapter as the opening chapter.   With "Awakens" was bringing the series back after a Decade hiatus.  With "TROS" he's closing out a Saga that spans mutiple generations and has been going on for over 40 years.  Star Wars isn't like other franchises that were based on a book, comic or other previous source material.  This franchise started on the Big Screen.   I loved looking that the timeline at D23, shows how far the series has come and how great a storyteller Lucas was to come up with this story and start it middle instead of the beginning.  

Image result for star wars timeline

• Like 5

And you always have to take hype with a ton of salt.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, dudalb said:

I think concerning Kylo:

Hide contents

I think way back in TFA that he was capable of redemption was established. Remember how he was genuinely reluctant to torture Rey  in the interrogation scene?

I guess I'll spoiler this but it's total spec on my part since I avoid spoilers like the plague (when my friend doesn't accidentally tell me one lol)

Spoiler

Idk that I'd see that as a sign, I'd say him being weakened by killing Han instead of it making him stronger is a bigger indicator. Then in TLJ we had Luke's "No one's ever really gone" after Leia says her son is gone, and his general being torn between the light and the dark over the course of the two movies so far. I've definitely always thought they were doing redemption for him so it'll be exciting to see if that'll be paid off. And boy, some people will be madddd.

OlE6y4u.gif 

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

well yeah a lot of people online got the whole entire plot for endgame mostly wrong. 

And there were accurate leaks on 4chan and reddit way before the movie came out. Are we allowed to talk EG spoilers? Well tags just in case:

Steve staying with Peggy leaked way early. Later but still well ahead of movie release, it leaked that Old Steve sits in the park with Sam and Bucky. 5 years time jump leaked early but many details were wrong. Tony's death leaked around the time of Old Steve. Nat's death was the last thing to leak as far as deaths go.

Edited by Valonqar

On 8/27/2019 at 5:33 AM, Hatebox said:

I was one of the bigger TLJ apologists on this board but it does feel like it's sapped quite a bit of energy from this film's hype. As finales go this should be freight-train on the scale of Endgame given TFA's impact but instead it feels strangely perfunctionary. Perhaps a bit of in-check expectations will help its reception in the long run. 

On 8/27/2019 at 9:43 AM, The Stingray said:

Man, this looks bad. For someone who is a huge Star Wars fan, I feel no hype for this at all. 

It just reeks of desperation on Disney's part, too much course correction, too much fan service.

Also, Rey's new lightsaber has to be the goofiest thing since Anakin waxed poetic about sand.

Its because this trilogy doesn't feel cohesive at all.  TFA was for better or worse a pretty good albeit familiar launching pad for a trilogy.  Then the rather aimless TLJ comes along and turns everything on its head, and now TROS looks to retcon a lot of TLJ and potentially do "bold" things like Dark Rey that feels rather unearned this late in the game.

7 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Its because this trilogy doesn't feel cohesive at all.  TFA was for better or worse a pretty good albeit familiar launching pad for a trilogy.  Then the rather aimless TLJ comes along and turns everything on its head, and now TROS looks to retcon a lot of TLJ and potentially do "bold" things like Dark Rey that feels rather unearned this late in the game.

I still don't see where TLJ supposedly turned everything on its head. And I see even less where TROS is supposed to retcon a lot of that again. That sounds more likey wishful thinking on your part than anything based on what they have said or shown so far.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

The Ending will be less "controversial" than GoT?

So you mean less shite?

Spoiler

To be clear: In my opinion Season 8 was one of the worst written TV seasons ive ever watched. A total trainwreck. Im positive Episode IX will be nowhere near that level.