CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

So basically I should stick to my books and ban the internet from my life for the next 6 weeks (omg, six weeks to the day until I see it). 😑

It's one thing to spoil oneself, but it's another to go around trying to ruin it for others. Talk about having too much time on your hands to be doing shit like that.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Gamora said:

So basically I should stick to my books and ban the internet from my life for the next 6 weeks (omg, six weeks to the day until I see it). 😑

giphy.gif

It's one thing to spoil oneself, but it's another to go around trying to ruin it for others. Talk about having too much time on your hands to be doing shit like that.

almost want to just hunt these spoilers down now, just to end the angst of accidentally getting spoiled by some yahoo whose self worth is tied into spreading misery to others.

I mean, I won't.  

At the same time, I sympathize with Mr. Ren right there, iz all I iz sayin'. :ph34r:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Porthos said:

giphy.gif

almost want to just hunt these spoilers down now, just to end the angst of accidentally getting spoiled by some yahoo whose self worth is tied into spreading misery to others.

I mean, I won't.  

At the same time, I sympathize with Mr. Ren right there, iz all I iz sayin'. :ph34r:

lmao, perfect gif. I have on occasion thought about reading spoilers for things, but I just enjoy it so much more if I know as little as possible. Endgame mostly unspoiled was some good shit. 👍

It is hard wondering if you're going to run across spoilers somewhere unrelated because people are so awful they want to ruin it for others. Reminds me of idiots who left comments about Han dying in random youtube videos, like what kind of effort for being a douche to people you don't even know. 

• Like 1

I saw the Todd Fisher story and don’t see how it’s a spoiler? It doesn’t talk about anything happening in the film at all, just what it was supposed to be before Carries unfortunate passing. 

So what marketing can we expect once it heats up (after Frozen 2 release I guess)?

Internaitonal trailer?

TV spots?

EW cover?

Other mag covers (Rolling Stone, Total Film, Time)?

Character posters?

Talk shows?

Edited by Valonqar

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

So what marketing can we expect once it heats up (after Frozen 2 release I guess)?

Internaitonal trailer?

TV spots?

EW cover?

Character posters?

Talk shows?

Disney: No marketing. Our CEO's tweet.

4 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Internaitonal trailer?

TV spots?

EW cover?

Character posters?

Talk shows?

Yes?

7 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Internaitonal trailer?

TV spots?

EW cover?

Character posters?

Talk shows?

Hopefully character posters, TV spots, and an international trailer very soon. They started around this time for TFA.

yeah, I'm surprised spots aren't popping up yet. At least that. And international trailer is due. But then, TFA didn't have Frozen in November to get priority push.

Doubt we’ll see many TV spots until December really, the fans are already well aware of its impending release as is proven by the ticket sales, whereas general audiences just need reminding about it a couple of weeks prior which is who the TV spots are aimed at. The marketing is fine so far, it’s not exactly out of the ordinary for it to be this quiet this far out, there’s still a month and a half until release.

Plus, being a Christmas movie, this is one of those releases where opening weekend isn't all-important. The week from Christmas all the way up to probably January 5th is probably the time when they'll want to remind people to go see the movie the most. And it's a bit early to market for that time frame.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

yeah, I'm surprised spots aren't popping up yet. At least that. And international trailer is due. But then, TFA didn't have Frozen in November to get priority push.

If it doesn’t start next week then they’re probably waiting until Frozen is out of the way

32 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Oh and Mando. I don't think they want confusion between Mando promo and TROS.

Yessss, I was just thinking this.  I think this is more the issue than Frozen 2, tbh.   Lucasfilm/Disney has shown something of an inability to market two SW properties at once, IMO.

At the same time, I personally wouldn't expect the all out blitz to start until mid-Nov anyway. As a comparision, the marketing for The Mandalorian has only really ramped up since mid/late Oct.   Right now there appears to be something new for Mando practically every single day.  There's already been something like three different TV spots in the last week for it alone.  Yet in the beginning of Oct there wasn't all that much.

Also, there has been a fair amount of marketing for TROS anyway.   But the thing is, I'm not nearly on YT/Twitter as much as I normally am, so I can't find them and post them here.  I know that Jordan Maison and Sleemo have been both posting regular TROS updates and I'm sure other newsy Twitter feeds are as well.  I'm just not checking them out as much as I normally do.

So when it comes to TV spots and the like, betting on mid-Nov like I said.

• Like 3

Sounds right. They are indeed incapable of amrketing 2 SW properties at once so once Mando is out, they'll ramp up TROS. Right now, there's been nothing new marketing-wise since the trailer.

rewatched original Star Wars for the first time in almost 8 years.

Luke is horny af for the princess literally from the moment he sees her hologram, a totally realistic character beat I wouldn't expect to see in any blockbuster today

Other than the editing team, the big unsung heroes here are all the balding British a-gig's-a-gig character actors who serve up much of the realness and the paperback pulp energy at once

Movie holds up, which is honestly a relief. Except that I no longer feel a kid/teen's awe/immersion watching it, so much as a sense of "damn, they really got this thing to work when it was evidently this close to not working at all". There remains an endearing scrappy charm to it that marks it as fundamentally a work of insecure but committed young people (backed up by older pros), which is also pretty much antithetical to the corporate-controlled way of making movies. Ironic, etc.

"The Empire doesn't consider a small, one-man fighter to be any threat." Thought of both Lucas circa 1970s and our man Rian at that moment

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 1

Sorry to bang on the marketing again but mystery box prevents this from having emotional posters. I really don't have the feeling that this is the end. Unlike this:

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-Image result for return of the ling posters"

1_org_100__l.jpg

Also, this is actually about friends:

200.gif

unlike 3PO line for people he never interacted with on screen for 2 movies (I don't care how much he's with them in TROS, it isn't comparable to LOTR friendships). 

Edited by Valonqar