CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

25 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

unlike 3PO line for people he never interacted with on screen for 2 movies (I don't care how much he's with them in TROS, it isn't comparable to LOTR friendships).

Nobody’s comparing them to the LoTR friendships but you

Is the line really that big of a deal? Come on, he’s a protocol droid. Not some emotionally closed off dude that has a tough time being friendly to anyone

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

Nobody’s comparing them to the LoTR friendships but you

Is the line really that big of a deal? Come on, he’s a protocol droid. Not some emotionally closed off dude that has a tough time being friendly to anyone

And I know you specifically mention onscreen development, but is it too hard to believe that they all became friends in the year between TLJ and TRoS?

off screen doesn't count. it isn't as powerful as on screen and I'm just pointing out that Eowyn's line had more resonance precisely because those characters cared for each other.

Also, while TROS trailer was nice, it's held back by withholding way too much. showing enough didn't hurt this superiority:

and I don't care it was adapration of the popular book. Many didn't read it and yet flocked to the movie despite the trailer showing quite a bit.

Edited by Valonqar

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED READING.

Have to excuse me, I have to turn away for a moment, as I think I have something in my eye. 

• Like 5

More D+ Wars are on the way:

http://starwarsunity.net/2019/11/07/disney-ceo-confirms-more-star-wars-disney-series-in-development/

Today was Disney’s 4th Quarter earnings result, and as he tends to do on the conference call, Bob Iger dropped some news and this time it was for Star Wars.

When asked about the future of the franchise, he acknowledged the hiatus of the movies after The Rise of Skywalker (the next movie is in 2022), but talked about the Disney+ shows. He said that in addition to the three series that have been announced Lucasfilm has many more Star Wars shows in development for Disney+.

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

Also, while TROS trailer was nice, it's held back by withholding way too much. showing enough didn't hurt this superiority:

They definitely could show some more. I personally don’t mind, but it’d be good for the GA.

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

off screen doesn't count. it isn't as powerful as on screen

Yes, but for something as simple as being friends with 3PO, I don’t think it matters.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Today was Disney’s 4th Quarter earnings result, and as he tends to do on the conference call, Bob Iger dropped some news and this time it was for Star Wars.

When asked about the future of the franchise, he acknowledged the hiatus of the movies after The Rise of Skywalker (the next movie is in 2022), but talked about the Disney+ shows. He said that in addition to the three series that have been announced Lucasfilm has many more Star Wars shows in development for Disney+.

345y5q.jpg&key=a6b2ad23fb76476310d77b1f8

Seriously though, I've been saying for months now that once Disney has a sense of how popular The Mandalorian is, and just how many views it gets, then the floodgate might open when it comes to streaming content.  

The other factor is, of course, how well TROS does, though that's a bit more on the movie end of the equation.

But if Mando hits it out of the park and if people keep being hyped for Kenobi and if The Clone Wars Season Seven is received as it looks to be, Disney would be fools not to open the spigot on SW streaming.

Say what you will about SW fatigue when it comes to movies (I'm in the skeptical camp, as most folks know).  But streaming TV?  I really am at a loss how there can be SW fatigue there.  It's practically the perfect platform for lots and lots of (slightly) more narrowcasted targeting.  

• Like 5

My big question for D+ shows is will they introduce completely new eras instead of exploring more of a familiar era?

Just now, Inceptionzq said:

My big question for D+ shows is will they introduce completely new eras instead of exploring more of a familiar era?

Hope so, though the siren song of (KO)TOR will be mighty hard to resist.  Say in Year Three or so of the service when they want to make another big splash?

I've long thought that the rumored (KO)TOR trilogy that was reported will eventually land on D+.  The B&W team exit is giving me a slight pause, as a (KO)TOR trilogy could be suitably epic for the December slots in the coming decade.  Still, if pressed, won't be surprised to see it on D+.  Maybe movies, maybe long form series.

Now whether or not (KO)TOR would be a "new" era or not, I'll leave to others to debate. ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Hope so, though the siren song of (KO)TOR will be mighty hard to resist.  Say in Year Three or so of the service when they want to make another big splash?

I've long thought that the rumored (KO)TOR trilogy that was reported will eventually land on D+.  The B&W team exit is giving me a slight pause, as a (KO)TOR trilogy could be suitably epic for the December slots in the coming decade.  Still, if pressed, won't be surprised to see it on D+.  Maybe movies, maybe long form series.

Now whether or not (KO)TOR would be a "new" era or not, I'll leave to others to debate. ;)

I really hope not @Porthos (re: KOTOR trilogy going to D+). Really hoping it's theatrical, as you theorized with regards to the coming December Star Wars slots.

11 minutes ago, JB33 said:

I really hope not @Porthos (re: KOTOR trilogy going to D+). Really hoping it's theatrical, as you theorized with regards to the coming December Star Wars slots.

I'm just worried, well maybe "worried" isn't quite the right word but it'll do for now, that Disney might think it's a tad too niche for a theatrical release.

It might be one of the biggest names/eras in SW fandom, but I wonder if the Disney brass looks at it and thinks "oh, it's just a game thing" without realizing just how much pull (KO)TOR really has.

Though they might use D+ as a springboard.  Introduce (KO)TOR on the streaming end then then launch it into theaters?

Really wide open right now as SW as a property could go in lots of different directions right now.  Kinda exciting.  For certain values of the word "exciting" that is. :lol: 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I'm just worried, well maybe "worried" isn't quite the right word but it'll do for now, that Disney might think it's a tad too niche for a theatrical release.

It might be one of the biggest names/eras in SW fandom, but I wonder if the Disney brass looks at it and thinks "oh, it's just a game thing" without realizing just how much pull (KO)TOR really has.

Though they might use D+ as a springboard.  Introduce (KO)TOR on the streaming end then then launch it into theaters?

Really wide open right now as SW as a property could go in lots of different directions right now.  Kinda exciting.  For certain values of the word "exciting" that is. :lol: 

If the Old Republic is niche for a movie, then what isn't niche that's not the Saga?

I won’t watch a single TV Spot, so I don’t care when those begin.  We’ve already had 2 trailers and a special look, we don’t need any more footage lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Movie nerd said:

Marketing fot this movie is almost nonexistent, very wierd stuff. 

Not really, Disney likes to concentrate on one big film at a time,and now they are giving priority to Frozen 2. Once that opens, the marketing for TROS will be everywhere.

8 hours ago, Inceptionzq said:

If it doesn’t start next week then they’re probably waiting until Frozen is out of the way

That is the way Disney usually works.  They don't begin the big time marketing for a movie until the previous big movie has opened. Frozen 2 is going to get all the attention until it opens, but a few days after it opens the floodgates will be opened for TROS.

They make a real effort to keep the marketing for one movie from interfering with the marketing for another. SOP for Disney, and other studios.

Edited by dudalb

TV spots started for TFA and TLJ around the first week of November. Frozen 2 or not, we SHOULD start to see new spots with new material for TROS very very soon. 

5 hours ago, Valonqar said:

Sorry to bang on the marketing again but mystery box prevents this from having emotional posters. I really don't have the feeling that this is the end. Unlike this:

the-lord-of-the-rings-the-return-of-the-Image result for return of the ling posters"

1_org_100__l.jpg

Also, this is actually about friends:

200.gif

unlike 3PO line for people he never interacted with on screen for 2 movies (I don't care how much he's with them in TROS, it isn't comparable to LOTR friendships). 

This is because LOTR was made by a then hungry overweight man-child that dreamed of seeing LOTR brought to life since he was a kid.  LOTR was a passion project through and through and it shows from the moment we see alliance of men and elves at the end of the 2nd age marching against Sauron on the slopes of Mount Doom to Frodo, Bilbo, and Gandalf sailing to the undying lands.  IMO thats what is sorely missing from these new Star Wars movies, they feel like nostalgic market researched corporate products with some comically pandering on-the-nose nonsense and no real stakes.  At the end of Empire, Luke lost his hand after getting his ass kicked by Vader and Han Solo was frozen in carbonate.  What are we left with at the end of TLJ?  Pretty much nothing which is probably why they they arbitrarily brought back Palpatine after they realized they shit the bed.  You guys remember Palpatine?  He was pretty cool, huh?  Well, here he is!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Menor said:

If the Old Republic is niche for a movie, then what isn't niche that's not the Saga?

Maybe "niche" isn't quite the right word, and I'm speaking of the perspective of Disney Execs anyway and not my own viewpoint.

The main thing is, that whoever got this trilogy slot (either B&W or Rian) they were supposed to be all new, never before seen stories.  For instance, the rumor mongering is that B&W's trilogy was going to explore the origins of the Jedi, which would be even before The Old Republic time.  And who knows what RIan's thinking about.

I was more commenting that Disney execs might not realize just how deep and widespread the appreciation is for (KO)TOR.  They might see it as "only" a gaming thing and thus shunt it to a more fan-pleasing platform like D+.

But maybe I'm not giving them enough credit.  Just a suspision and nagging feeling more than anything.

• Like 1