CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

33 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

I'm seeing numerous videos pop up in my youtube feed about test screening disaster for TRoS, i doubt its true cause only seeing it from the regular channels that constantly hate disney star wars

It's been mentioned repeatedly that no Star Wars films do test screenings. There are insider screenings for people related to the studio and production, but the random public does not get a chance for an advanced look.

• Like 8

It comes from Cosmic Book News. Nothing to see here

Also Doomcock

Edited by DAR
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

Also Doomcock

I would trust someone named Doomcock with my life

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, DAR said:

Also Doomcock

From the same very fine people who brought us things like "Disney is killing off OT characters so they don't have to pay Lucas royalties" and other assorted outrages in the past.

TOTALLY believable sourcing. 👍

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Its sad, because unfortunately a lot of folks don't realize that the source is absolute shit.  People will believe anything they read on the internet.  2019 smh

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Porthos said:

Nice, I've been waiting for this to be released. I hope this issue has the final poster on A4 cardboard like the one for TLJ did, I've still got that up facing my computer desk and it'd be cool to replace it with the new one.

Speaking of which, I finally bought the TRoS Empire magazine today (yeah we get it late) and it comes with a pull-out TRoS teaser poster, so I'll have to put that up shortly.

38 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

Its sad, because unfortunately a lot of folks don't realize that the source is absolute shit.  People will believe anything they read on the internet.  2019 smh

Life is honestly so much better when you don't follow any of that crap. So much stuff's made up and what isn't is better to be surprised by anyway. But people are always gonna work themselves into a frenzy over nothing I guess.

• Like 1
  • Not Cool 1

Can someone explain to me why someone would honestly waste their time fabricating a false story? Obviously tons do it but it has never been able to fully register with me.

Also...there are millions upon millions who are looking forward to this film...how sad and pathetic do you have to be to try and spread negativity? What a sad, little, lonely life they must lead.

I really hope this film does really well critically and at the box office just to shut up the naysayers and haters...actually, I'd like to see them get even more pissed. It's a joy to watch such petty people have meltdowns. 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Noctis said:

Can someone explain to me why someone would honestly waste their time fabricating a false story? Obviously tons do it but it has never been able to fully register with me.

Also...there are millions upon millions who are looking forward to this film...how sad and pathetic do you have to be to try and spread negativity? What a sad, little, lonely life they must lead.

I really hope this film does really well critically and at the box office just to shut up the naysayers and haters...actually, I'd like to see them get even more pissed. It's a joy to watch such petty people have meltdowns. 

They are trying to replicate the Solo effect for TROS by spreading the idea of the film having major production problems while also spear heading this by spreading leaks (the real ones with a touch of it being Opinionated), they doing everything possible to try make this film a failure to people before it releases in the hope it effects the film financially and critically.

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Short answer is: Rage Clicks = Money.

Longer answer: By tapping into the online rage/culture war that is going in various internet spaces, they can stoke and fuel the anger of folks pissed off at current Star Wars and the direction of entertainment in general as well as piss off people who do like current Star Wars and/or directional trends in entertainment. 

Whether you're joining them and grabbing the pitchforks to storm Lucasfilm headquarters, or you're screaming your head off at them to shut the fuck up, it's all the same to them.  Just as long as you're watching their videos/clicking on their links, that is.

Spreading Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt and just generally trying to get bad vibes out there is a nice side benefit as well.  After all, get people expecting a bad flick and they might be predisposed to not liking it when it actually comes out.

Ultimately though, it's all those sweet sweet clicks. It's not a coincidence that the Rage Machine is most profitable on YT right now, for instance. 

Consider it the weaponization of trolling for fun and profit.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

15 minutes ago, Noctis said:

A lot do it for clicks $

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Consider it the weaponization of trolling for fun and profit.

I would also add that for the folks who aren't making (much) money off of this sort of thing, the attention they get as well as stoking the culture wars out there is reason enough.  Especially if they're predisposed to actually dislike [INSERT TARGET OF CHOICE HERE].

Trolling is its own reward for these folks.  And if they can get folks pissed off in the process, all the better.

• Like 5

These people can also have the knowledge that even when they are proven wrong time and time again it doesn't matter cause their audience only cares about them repeating the same opinions again and again. There is no accountability with what they say. 

• Like 7

You know what's pretty Interesting.

TROS has massively over performed on Instagram while declining on Youtube.

what I find interesting is that Instagram is a far younger and growing platform that's demographic is on the far younger side compared to places like Facebook and even Youtube, while I don't think the effects will be Immediate but these are good signs that the ST are having atleast an impact on the people that will be the core consumers in a few decades, also Instagram has a really strong female userbase so it's likely that the ST is resonating very strongly with woman/girls. by the time people get over their butthurt for the sequels the star wars franchise will likely have a larger pool and diverse Audience to draw from in their next set of films. 

• Like 3

I also want to add it sucks especially cause it means people who have legitimate issues with the current direction of Star Wars under Disney tend to get wrongly associated with these people which then paints this whole thing as one big "us vs them" type mentality. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

You know what's pretty Interesting.

TROS has massively over performed on Instagram while declining on Youtube.

How has it over-performed, compared to Last Jedi?Number of instagram users has increased a lot since then

31 minutes ago, Jabba'sMoofmilker said:

it's likely that the ST is resonating very strongly with woman/girls.

Not surprising , most appareling thing about the new trilogy is the forbidden twilight romance aspect of it

Edited by mikee11

1 hour ago, mikee11 said:

How has it over-performed, compared to Last Jedi?Number of instagram users have nearly doubled since then.

It has had the best user engagement of any film on the site this year aswell as having one of the strongest staying powers for a film on Instagram, with it dominating continuously for six months with only a few blips here and there.  the people that track this stuff have even added a pun of calling Instagram Jedigram because of it's ridiculous staying power.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Its quite sad to see how the franchise has fallen at the box office. After the whole thing with Solo, the box office for this thing is definitely unpredictable. Hell, even the International gross has gone down. For comparison:

-The Force Awakens=1.13B

-The Last Jedi=712M

For domestic gross, I posted this on Reddit's box office sub in terms of where it could end at in terms of WOM and legs. I split it into three categories: Great, Okay, and Terrible. I used TLJ domestic gross for comparison.

If The Rise Of Skywalker has great WOM and legs, it could end somewhere in between these movies (part of the Great range):

-Black Panther (700M) [Increase +80M]

-Infinity War (678M) [Increase +58M]

-Titanic (659M) [Increase +39M]

If Rise Of Skywalker has okay to decent WOM and legs, it could end somewhere in between these films (under Okay range):

-Jurassic World (652M) [Increase +32M]

-Incredibles 2 (608M) [Decrease -12M]

Finally, if Rise Of Skywalker has bad WOM and legs, it could end somewhere in between these films (under Terrible range):

-The Dark Knight (535M) [Decrease -85M]

-Rogue One (532M) [Decrease -88M]

-Finding Dory (486M) [Decrease -134M]

-Age Of Ultron (459M) [Decrease -161M]

marketing should really start sometimes next week, maybe something attach the Mandalorian even?