CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

12 hours ago, CloneWars said:

So, what are people's thoughts on yet another change to A New Hope

Sound and fury, signifying nothing.

The reaction, that is.  A classic case of stand up comedy acts gone awry on Twitter and elsewhere.

One giant huge yawn from me, in other words.

• Like 3

The fuss over Disney+ seems to be not over the shows themselves, but the technical foul ups they had at launch. A lot of subscribers could not log in.

It's a embarrassment for The Mouse;they should have been prepared for that;but not seeing any mass "Panning" of the show itself.

50 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I personally saw it on the WW Trend list when I was up watching it.  Was for a few hours as well.  No idea why it might not have been picked up.

If it was on your account, would those not personalized to your liking/specific location and so on ?

1 minute ago, Barnack said:

If it was on your account, would those not personalized to your liking/specific location and so on ?

I don't have a Twitter account. :)  I was looking at the Worldwide Trends list that is on the side.

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I don't have a Twitter account. :)  I was looking at the Worldwide Trends list that is on the side.

Same. It was definitely trending after the episode dropped.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

The fuss over Disney+ seems to be not over the shows themselves, but the technical foul ups they had at launch. A lot of subscribers could not log in.

It's a embarrassment for The Mouse;they should have been prepared for that;but not seeing any mass "Panning" of the show itself.

again ,today its way better than yesterday, dont forget that the guys who make this things, are still humans, they can make mistakes, or not anticipate things, shit like this has happened many many times , the important part here is that the streaming service is very very good

3 hours ago, Porthos said:

The reaction, that is.  A classic case of stand up comedy acts gone awry on Twitter and elsewhere.

It doesn’t alter the scene in any meaningful way, it’s nothing like changing who shot first, the strongly negative reactions from some people have been baffling to me, it’s literally just an extra line.

I like to think that George made one final tinker to the scene knowing full well that he was going to piss off the raging fanboys when Disney finally got around to releasing it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

31 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

It doesn’t alter the scene in any meaningful way, it’s nothing like changing who shot first, the strongly negative reactions from some people have been baffling to me, it’s literally just an extra line.

I like to think that George made one final tinker to the scene knowing full well that he was going to piss off the raging fanboys when Disney finally got around to releasing it.

Yeah while I had the wtf reaction when I first saw it.  It didn't affect me other than the initial "shock" value of it and being useless.  Anything past that I don't get why people would get up in arms about it.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 75Live said:

Yeah while I had the wtf reaction when I first saw it.  It didn't affect me other than the initial "shock" value of it and being useless.  Anything past that I don't get why people would get up in arms about it.

I don't think it's so much "getting up in arms" as getting an unexpected whack at the piñata that is George Lucas and his tinkering with the OT.  Mostly on the stale joke end.

Then again, it's always Amateur Stand Up Comedian(ne) Night on Twitter, so this was irresistible for some folks, I'm sure.

• Like 1

Where is the international trailer? This is the least marketed film of the ST, marketing reminds me of SOLO in a bad way.

Edited by Ryan Reynolds

a little off topic, but why Favreau would not want to direct a Disney Star Wars film, he prefers smaller scale character based stuff, sort of a slam at what disney mcu/star wars machine produces in theaters 😎 , i simply don't understand  why disney can't experiment with under 100m films

International trailer is literally just 95% of footage we have already seen, so I hope nobody is getting their hopes up for that.  

Anyways the marketing is definitely picking up, and comparing it to SOLO is lolz.  Empire is coming out with their biggest Star Wars issue ever on the 28th,  some company announced that they have an article coming out Friday with interviews from all the cast members (even Adam Driver!),  McDonalds announced that they are begging their Happy meal campaign next cycle, Porsche just came out with a new Advertisement that can be see online and will likely be on TV very soon, United Airlines has been showing off all their new TROS planes (they look awesome), EW Cover and issue should be coming out next week or two,  Youtube is getting blitzed with TROS ads in front of video's already.  So anyways the marketing is very much beginning, and I expect it to go full on blitz in the next week.  We already have 2 trailers and a great special look, so complaining about lack of footage seems silly.  Thats wayyy more than we got for TLJ.  This films also comes out 5 days later than TLJ, so things are going to be a tad later anyways due to that. 

Also forgot to add that Adidas and Columbia and been displaying TROS related apparel lately.  Stuff looks solid. 

Edited by Knights of Ren
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Where is the international trailer? This is the least marketed film of the ST, marketing reminds me of SOLO in a bad way.

Agreed. People can sugar coat it and it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, but this is pitiful. It's been 4 weeks since the trailer and not a blip o anything since then. 

Before the trailer, when people complained, it was reasonable to say "just wait until the trailer drops in October-everything will take off after that".

Now, those same people are saying "just wait until Mandalorian/D+ is released. Things will take off after that". 

Now, it's "just wait until after Thanksgiving (3 weeks until release), things will take off after that".

Maybe they're planning a special look during Thanksgiving football? 

5 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

a little off topic, but why Favreau would not want to direct a Disney Star Wars film, he prefers smaller scale character based stuff, sort of a slam at what disney mcu/star wars machine produces in theaters 😎 , i simply don't understand  why disney can't experiment with under 100m films

Really? After the shitfest that was TLK? At least those other movies weren't panned unlike his uncanny valley misfire with miscast voices of laziest paycheck-collectors. I'm so glad that shit didn't even sniff 2 billion that was predicted to make. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Agreed. People can sugar coat it and it doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong, but this is pitiful. It's been 4 weeks since the trailer and not a blip o anything since then. 

Before the trailer, when people complained, it was reasonable to say "just wait until the trailer drops in October-everything will take off after that".

Now, those same people are saying "just wait until Mandalorian/D+ is released. Things will take off after that". 

Now, it's "just wait until after Thanksgiving (3 weeks until release), things will take off after that".

Maybe they're planning a special look during Thanksgiving football? 

Lol!  I guess you don’t remember TLJ or TFA marketing?  Trailer dropped, didn’t get anything for the same time period.  Y’all keep wanting an international trailer, but the international trailer is literally just the footage we have already seen cut up differently.  We are still over a month until the film, this is all par for the course.  No sugar coating, they are literally following the schedule they have with the other two films.  It’s more like fans just being impatient.  

• Like 2

Yeah, I’m not seeing anything different to the campaigns for TFA and TLJ. Par for the course. If anything, the hype for Mandalorian and Star Wars in general is only going to help ROS at this point. 

hell, they’ll probably put a tease for it infront of one of the Mandalorian episodes just before it opens! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Knights of Ren said:

Lol!  I guess you don’t remember TLJ or TFA marketing?  Trailer dropped, didn’t get anything for the same time period.  Y’all keep wanting an international trailer, but the international trailer is literally just the footage we have already seen cut up differently.  We are still over a month until the film, this is all par for the course.  No sugar coating, they are literally following the schedule they have with the other two films.  It’s more like fans just being impatient.  

Wrong! TLJ and TFA started dropping TV spots left and right the first week of November/last week of October. TFA at least had TONS of product tie-ins (I don't remember as much for TLJ). They both had bigger displays in stores. You couldn't escape them. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find anything TROS related.

So the idea that they are following the same path as the other two saga films is not correct. They looked to be following it from the trailer release, but then Frozen 2 and D+ took over immediately after. Frozen 2 is obvious, but it's clear they didn't want to have TROS marketing affect D+ subscriptions by overshadowing Mandalorian.

Maybe there's just less hype for this film in general so it feels like there's less marketing?

(No, I'm not trying to start a flame war: the film might very good and people might love it! But it's hardly controversial to say general anticipation for it is a tad more muted than the previous two.)

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Maybe there's just less hype for this film in general so it feels like there's less marketing?

(No, I'm not trying to start a flame war: the film might very good and people might love it! But it's hardly controversial to say general anticipation for it is a tad more muted than the previous two.)

That's very very true. But for that very reason, they need to pump up the marketing. As we've seen by Solo and the drops that TLJ took, SW doesn't necessarily sell itself the way many think. ALL films need marketing. The closest to not needing marketing was EG. But IW did all the marketing that EG needed. TROS doesn't have that luxury.