CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

The marketing for TROS is absolutely fine and is no different to the vast majority of other popular highly anticipated films. The final trailer drummed up interest for the fans and it did it’s job in terms of getting the people who were always going to buy tickets to do just that, TV spots don’t need to start saturating every ad break until a couple of weeks prior to release, so I’d imagine the first week of December. TV spots aren’t for the fans, they’re for the general public who often buy tickets to things a lot closer to release or even as walk ups on the day. There’s still over a month until release day, TV spots airing right now would be a complete waste of money on Disney’s part. 

I think that's why people are disappointed. So far, the movie is marketed as yet another entry in SW franchise. Taglines like Story Comes to an End don't really convey that this is the end or that this is a generational event. Something is amis. Endgame achieved the feeling of generational event as early as:

This is Dec 7 2018

Feb 3 2019

They didn't show much but all was on point. TROS is showing all money shots yet keeps missing the point. I don't think they are wrong about showing more but contextless more isn't as effective as contextual less let alone contextual more. I really think TROS should go for ROTK type of marketing. 

Edited by Valonqar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, jedijake said:

Wrong! TLJ and TFA started dropping TV spots left and right the first week of November/last week of October. TFA at least had TONS of product tie-ins (I don't remember as much for TLJ). They both had bigger displays in stores. You couldn't escape them. Now, you'd be hard pressed to find anything TROS related.

So the idea that they are following the same path as the other two saga films is not correct. They looked to be following it from the trailer release, but then Frozen 2 and D+ took over immediately after. Frozen 2 is obvious, but it's clear they didn't want to have TROS marketing affect D+ subscriptions by overshadowing Mandalorian.

TLJ didn’t have TV spots until mid-late November.  They had one extended spot during a WS game, but other than that, none.  TROS played the trailer during the WS.  Literally following the same path.  Next week we will likely start getting spots, as TLJ started getting more around the 17th 

@Valonqaroh that is 100% spot on!

End Game had HUGE stakes to follow up with and the short teasers delivered those stakes. They made us hungry to find out how the heroes end up winning. The trailers told us the odds. The movie also spawns tons of theories about how the heroes win.

TROS does nothing to give any odds, a follow up to anything, or any sense of urgency at all. It just says "hey this is the last saga movie" but doesn't even connect with the saga at all in the first place. Thus, it has a feeling of "meh-who cares?". So I guess we'll find out exactly who cares.

• Thanks 1

I would say Palpatine coming back is the only fan theory people are really talking about.

Fan Theories about the main new characters and such is pretty non existent. 

NOOOOO! THIS CAN'T BE REAL! DOOMCOCK AND JEREMY TOLD ME JJ WOULD FIX IT! NOOOOOO! NOOOOOOOO!

os691iq0zoy31.jpg

IT'S NOT TRUE! IT'S BULLSHIT! HE DID NOT FIX IT! HE DID NAHT! OH HAI MARK!

• Haha 2

On 11/10/2019 at 9:54 AM, Noctis said:

Can someone explain to me why someone would honestly waste their time fabricating a false story? Obviously tons do it but it has never been able to fully register with me.

Also...there are millions upon millions who are looking forward to this film...how sad and pathetic do you have to be to try and spread negativity? What a sad, little, lonely life they must lead.

I really hope this film does really well critically and at the box office just to shut up the naysayers and haters...actually, I'd like to see them get even more pissed. It's a joy to watch such petty people have meltdowns. 

Petty.

12 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I would say Palpatine coming back is the only fan theory people are really talking about.

You must not be around the Reylo community lol

14 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

cause new characters are such non-entities. I think that SW should end their run right here with TROS but they are likely to drag them in other movies or more likely D+. 

13 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

cause new characters are such non-entities. I think that SW should end their run right here with TROS but they are likely to drag them in other movies or more likely D+. 

Some people really underestimate how hugely popular Rey is, especially with women and girls. While women are more active on social media in general than men are, they don't exactly tend to drive nerd-debates, which might lead to social media not giving a clear impression. It's basically the rabid fanbase vs general audience all over again. The majority of people simply doesn't spend time discussing stuff on the internet, therefore social media and message boards do not tell you much about the actual popularity of things and characters among the population as a whole. Apart from some freak occurances that is.

I also wouldn't say that fan theories about the new main characters are non existent. There have been ton of debates about Rey, and even more about the Reylo vs No-Reylo topic. Which brings along discussions about Kylo and to a lesser degree Finn.

• Like 2

Women and girls express their loyalty differently I 'll give you that, so it's harder to measure. Guys buy merch, girls write fiction and metas and do tons of (really amazing) fan art. I think that's one of reasons why merch doesn't sell like it used to. Different consumer habits. There are more women in the fandom now so they make merch for them but women don't behave the same way. They like to be creative about what they like instead of just buy something. And they are right. I've seen fan art-based merch that's way better tha anything from official sources. Give women creative imput. 

Edited by Valonqar

22 hours ago, john2000 said:

again ,today its way better than yesterday, dont forget that the guys who make this things, are still humans, they can make mistakes, or not anticipate things, shit like this has happened many many times , the important part here is that the streaming service is very very good

Point is company as big and experienced as Disney SHOULD have anticipated a massive load on their servers opening day, and be ready for it. Of course it's not going to do serious damage, but still something of an embarrassment. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SnokesLegs said:

The marketing for TROS is absolutely fine and is no different to the vast majority of other popular highly anticipated films. The final trailer drummed up interest for the fans and it did it’s job in terms of getting the people who were always going to buy tickets to do just that, TV spots don’t need to start saturating every ad break until a couple of weeks prior to release, so I’d imagine the first week of December. TV spots aren’t for the fans, they’re for the general public who often buy tickets to things a lot closer to release or even as walk ups on the day. There’s still over a month until release day, TV spots airing right now would be a complete waste of money on Disney’s part. 

ANd people here keep forgetting that Disney has another potential billion dollar film opening in two weeks in Frozen 2;of course they are going to  put all the emphasis and buy all the TV time for that instead of TROS, which has another Six Weeks before it opens.

I think some people here are going to shocked by exactly how big Frozen 2 is going to be. Disney is going to be careful to see that the two films hurt each other as little as possible.

That is the problem with releasing two huge films in the Holiday season;it takes some planning and fancy footwork to keep them from competing with each other.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

Don't forget that Endgame's marketing blowout started just 4-6 weeks before release.

This. 

And Disney has to carefully time the marketing for both Frozen 2 and TROS so they don't step on each others toes.

• Like 1

This was always going to be the "issue" (since which studio wouldn't want to be in this position) with Disney releasing two mega tentpole films with only a month's difference. To any other studio Frozen 2 or TROS would be THE tentpole film of the year but for Disney it's not even the 2nd Biggest (TLK will outgross both IMO). Frozen 2 is just as big of an event as TROS is.

36 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

This was always going to be the "issue" (since which studio wouldn't want to be in this position) with Disney releasing two mega tentpole films with only a month's difference. To any other studio Frozen 2 or TROS would be THE tentpole film of the year but for Disney it's not even the 2nd Biggest (TLK will outgross both IMO). Frozen 2 is just as big of an event as TROS is.

If anything Frozen 2 might be a bit bigger as an event;simply because it has been six years since Frozen, but only 2 since the last "Saga" SW film

And that was aproblem with the Mouse's "One SW Film a year" policy:bring out a film every year, it becomes a lot harder to make every SW film an "event".

I supect though, that Frozen 2 and TROS will end up pretty close to each other in terms of gross.

Which is why Disney is going to be very careful in terms of timing the marketing for each film so that they hurt each other as little as possible.

Anybody who thought Disney was going to put the TROS marketing machine into full gear until after Frozen 2 opened just displays their ignorance of the reality how film marketing works.

I have to strongly disagree about TLK though;I think both Frozen 2 and TROS will outgross it.

Edited by dudalb