CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

4 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

I would say Palpatine coming back is the only fan theory people are really talking about.

Fan Theories about the main new characters and such is pretty non existent. 

I think character development for the new ones is also pretty non existent... you could say only Kylo has some evolution and/or conflict to resolve

Daisy Ridley was asked to describe the film in four words: 

Dark

Scary

Sad 

Joyful

Sounds like my kind of Star Wars film.  Love me some ROTS because it is so dark and emotional.  Yet ends on a slightly hopeful note.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Daisy Ridley was asked to describe the film in four words: 

Dark

Scary

Sad 

Joyful

Sounds like my kind of Star Wars film.  Love me some ROTS because it is so dark and emotional.  Yet ends on a slightly hopeful note.  

Was going to come here and comment on this. 👍

Also, for all of the comments about lack of TV spots and international trailers, there is a TON of print/web stuff coming out this week.  Sleemo's Twitter feed has been full of it, for instance.

Main reason I'm not posting a lot of it, is I'm really staying away from Twitter and the internet much more than normal because of, well, you know. :)

===

Also, FWIW, I went back and checked and the first international trailer for TFA was released Nov 6th, so it's not like it's terribly late on that score.  Might very well see something next week now that Mando and Fallen Order have both launched (well, FO in a matter of hours for the last parts of the world that don't have it unlocked yet).

• Like 2

The marketing is pretty much where I expected it to be given Frozen, The Mandalorian, and Disney+. Now that two of those have debuted, we're starting to see the print features and interviews pop up. I expect the TV push to begin in earnest on Thanksgiving and then the ads will get a lot of play and eyeballs during all of the Christmas movie marathons, major sporting events, and holiday specials. The final month is the most important marketing-wise. Buzz doesn't do you much good these days if it comes way too early.

Imagine if Frozen 2 doesn't measure up to expectations in its first week and/or they feel that D+ is not pulling in the subscriptions they want. Suddenly you have to turn your attention to TROS in its last 3 weeks until release while also having to plug Frozen 2 and Mando/D+. It would be ironic if they end up having to work with all 3 anyway.

The Total Film feature is out, although I guess most of the quotes have been out for awhile. Definitely a lot of talk of "improvisation" in the making of the film, "risks," and surprisingly a lot emphasis about the dark tone.

• Thanks 2

"dark" "dark" "dark" hmmm, are twitter reactions already dropping? :lol:

When all is said and done, Sleemo will be the unsung hero of the Saga with her tireless supply of scans, translations, quotes, etc. :bravo:

2 hours ago, Jayhawk said:

Definitely a lot of talk of "improvisation" in the making of the film

Lord&Miller vindicated. :Venom:

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, jedijake said:

Imagine if Frozen 2 doesn't measure up to expectations in its first week and/or they feel that D+ is not pulling in the subscriptions they want. Suddenly you have to turn your attention to TROS in its last 3 weeks until release while also having to plug Frozen 2 and Mando/D+. It would be ironic if they end up having to work with all 3 anyway.

Unlikely on both counts. Frozen 2 is already looking like a monster just from presales alone, and Disney+ racked up 10 million signups on its first day. I don’t think they have to worry about those two, although that’s not to say that advertising for them will suddenly disappear when they start pushing TROS harder, I’d imagine you’ll see tv spots for both continuing at the same time as the TROS stuff.

8 hours ago, jedijake said:

I think to turn their main attention to TROS right after Thanksgiving was always the game plan,and will remain so no matter what.

Frozen 2 make Disney a huge profit even if it does not match the original.

Sad to say, some Star Wars fan assholes are revealing who did it in "Knives Out' in some kind of an attempt to get back at Rian Johnson for TLJ.

God, fans can be such total jerks.

• Sad 1
  • Disbelief 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Sad to say, some Star Wars fan assholes are revealing who did it in "Knives Out' in some kind of an attempt to get back at Rian Johnson for TLJ.

God, fans can be such total jerks.

Quite honestly I‘m afraid what‘s more to come in the 2020s. All these toxic fans from SW to GoT to Pokemon and many more are gonna ruin it for so many people.

Edited by Giesi
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'd make a crack about Newsweek still existing, but I'm too busy marveling at that fantastic cover. 👍

• Like 4

And finally...

Got to say, I personally really like what I am hearing.

Though what this signifies for other folks liking it, I can't say though, as I can have a somewhat eclectic taste at times when it comes to SW. :lol:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Sigh. the movie isn't out yet and the talk already went from "this is the end no more " to "story continues, more questions". Ugh. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Sigh. Naomi is indicating that they aren't retiring these characters. :badday:

Kathleen Kennedy already said as much back at Celebration.  Doesn't mean they'll be in more movies, but unless a Rogue One was pulled, this never was gonna be the last of them.  Not with so much story telling going on in comics, books, games and TV.

• Like 1

You may be right though it sounds like Naomi was talking about movies. LFL really wants the repeat of Solo. 

Edited by Valonqar

I have purposely stayed away from anything to do with this movie for quite some time.  I want to go into this knowing absolutely nothing.  

• Like 2

Abrams shifted this strategy for Skywalker, making stylistic and story-oriented choices that were less Lucas’ and more his own. “It felt slightly more renegade; it felt slightly more like, you know, Fuck it, I’m going to do the thing that feels right because it does, not because it adheres to something.”

there might still be more questions, & that’s the whole point. The story continues.’

Fuck it, JJ is going full mystery box.