CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

23 minutes ago, Snark88 said:

I mean the fact that people are viewing $200mil as a win, just shows the sad state of affairs imo. I mean yes, $200mil is a ton of money, but in context of the situation, it's really not where the franchise should be right now. This is supposed to me the finale of not just the Sequel Trilogy, but the entire Saga as a whole. The grand conclusion. The end of the Skywalker story. This should've been doing TFA numbers at least. Look at Endgame. The MCU consistently put out one Okay - Great movie one after the other, and had the right amount of build up and cliffhanger to hook people into Endgame, which led to it's record breaking box office. $340+ million opening was just absolutely insane. 

But $175 - $200 million projections for the conclusion of the Star Wars saga? Short term thinking, yeah that's a lot of money. Long term thinking, Star Wars is showing diminishing returns and Disney/LF have to right this ship with their next trilogy, or the downward trend will probably continue. Thankfully there's glimmers of hope with the recent releases of The Mando and Fallen Order.

VERY true! It says more to the state of the franchise than the value of the number $200 million itself. If the movie falls considerably below TLJ in BOTH OW and domestic as well as WW, the question has to be how did it get to that point" and NOT whether the specific numbers are good or bad. They are good numbers for sure, but in context to this trilogy and the fact that the other 3rd-parters all increased will say something to the staying power and impact of this trilogy.

But that's if it does fall under TLJ in all areas. Big IF-3 big IF's actually. And IF that all happens then the answer to the next trilogy is very crystal clear: more baby Yoda's lol

Edited by jedijake
  • Like 3

I'm one of this board's biggest Star Wars fans and defenders and I would would be pretty damn disappointed in a $175M opening. I wouldn't even defend that. This IS the Skywalker Saga conclusion and it SHOULD be massive (not Endgame massive as Avengers is quite simply a bigger IP than Star Wars at this point). It should absolutely be toying with a TFA sized weekend at least.

I'll say this, if TRoS opens to less than $200M but has sick legs and ends up with $700M+ (I'm actually in @Porthos over $700M club but for me that's absolutely riding on a $200M+ weekend) then I think we can use TLJ/Solo as a legitimate scapegoat and claim that they hurt the buzz going into what should be a MASSIVE event but word of mouth helped people realize how Lucasfilm hit it out of the park. If it opens under $200M and the legs are good but nothing to write home about then I think we can legitimately talk about how far Star Wars has fallen as a franchise.

• Like 2

I'll say this too - and I think someone already touched on this here before - but maybe Lucasfilm just wants to get this trilogy and the Skywalker stories over with. We've been assuming the opposite, that they want to hang on to these familiar characters and setting and stories for as long as possible because they serve as the best hooks, but maybe that's not the case. We've talked about how newer generations just aren't taking to Star Wars like the older generations, but maybe it's not Star Wars they're rejecting. Maybe it's these same Skywalker connections that we all assumed were the most lucrative for Lucasfilm (and maybe they are, for the older generations) that do nothing for the younger generations and that when the studio starts doing something completely new and fresh, maybe Star Wars will balloon in popularity again.

In short, as big as Episode VII - IX have been (or will be, in IX's case), maybe Star Wars hasn't actually realized its potential with the current generation of movie goers. Perhaps sequel trilogy - again, as big as they've been - simply squeezed the max it could out of the old guard of fans but didn't even represent the potential for the entire domestic and worldwide market.

Edited by JB33
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

OW tiers: 

$170M WTF dumpster fire 

$180M Depressing

$190M Disspointment 

$200M Fine

$210M Good 

$220M Another big hit

$230M Great/Fantastic

$240M Trolls can fuck off

$250M+ Bow down to JJ

• Like 1

MODERATION:

This is your daily reminder to put any discussion of leaks behind a spoiler tag. If your sentence has the word ‘leak’ in it: it should go behind a spoiler tag.

I know this might sound silly, but we’re doing it for a reason.  I will use Avengers: Endgame as an example. It’s not a big secret that I love Steve Rogers and hate Tony Stark.

If I came in here and said I just read the AEG leaks and The Russo Brothers are Gods and Everything Is Right In The World, then someone who knows me might be able to read between the lines — to figure out spoilers that Steve Rogers Does Something Amazing.

Just as if I were to say that I read the leaks and Marvel Studios was a dumpster fire and this is going to be worse than Age of Ultron, someone might put two and two together to figure out Tony Stark Does Something Amazing.

That is why were being really militant on this. We have three more weeks. We can do it. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

8 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

MODERATION:

This is your daily reminder to put any discussion of leaks behind a spoiler tag. If your sentence has the word ‘leak’ in it: it should go behind a spoiler tag.

I know this might sound silly, but we’re doing it for a reason.  I will use Avengers: Endgame as an example. It’s not a big secret that I love Steve Rogers and hate Tony Stark.

If I came in here and said I just read the AEG leaks and The Russo Brothers are Gods and Everything Is Right In The World, then someone who knows me might be able to read between the lines — to figure out spoilers that Steve Rogers Does Something Amazing.

Just as if I were to say that I read the leaks and Marvel Studios was a dumpster fire and this is going to be worse than Age of Ultron, someone might put two and two together to figure out Tony Stark Does Something Amazing.

That is why were being really militant on this. We have three more weeks. We can do it. 

Might I suggest you recommend the post you just made, as it is really helpful?  Taking off one of the others if there's clutter is fine of course (like who cares about my one for the trailer now? :lol:), but this really does help distill things, IMO. :)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Might I suggest you recommend the post you just made, as it is really helpful?  Taking off one of the others if there's clutter is fine of course (like who cares about my one for the trailer now? :lol:), but this really does help distill things, IMO. :)

She recommended your post instead. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JB33 said:

She recommended your post instead. :)

If she did, it was for an instant, as the correct post is now recommended. 👍

(might be due to my edit, as I phrased the request poorly originally)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

If she did, it was for an instant, as the correct post is now recommended. 👍

(might be due to my edit, as I phrased the request poorly originally)

Yep, I see that now.

So Porthos what range of opening weekend would you personally consider "disappointing"?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, JB33 said:

So Porthos what range of opening weekend would you personally consider "disappointing"?

I refuse to say as to not speak evil into the world. :ph34r:

(I have thoughts, but they shall remain just that... thoughts)

((Superstitious?  Moi?))

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I refuse to say as to not speak evil into the world. :ph34r:

(I have thoughts, but they shall remain just that... thoughts)

((Superstitious?  Moi?))

One dollar would be very bad. Anything else above that is fine. 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

Exclusive BTS look tomorrow at 8pm on some ABC show.  Also damn they are cranking out TV spots.  Hate this time of the year avoiding them.  

This got a little lost in all of the tracking talk.

More deets here:

It will almost certainly be on YT and Twitter nearly instantly.  This won't be live on the West Coast, so I probably won't be the first to post it.

It's a two hour program, so who knows when it'll actually air.  My guess would be in the last 30 minutes, because of course they would.  But that's only a guess, especially as they're doing one for the new ride at Galaxy's Edge as well.

Edited by Porthos

2 minutes ago, Porthos said:

This won't be live on the West Coast, so I probably won't be the first to post it.

Though, now that I think about it, I could try to watch it online via ABC.... YiBe40t.png YiBe40t.png YiBe40t.png

Nah.  I'll be busy with Thanksgiving dinner at the time.  And football will probably be on the tube if anything.

So I'll let someone else get the glory this time.

Maybe. ;)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JB33 said:

I'll say this too - and I think someone already touched on this here before - but maybe Lucasfilm just wants to get this trilogy and the Skywalker stories over with. We've been assuming the opposite, that they want to hang on to these familiar characters and setting and stories for as long as possible because they serve as the best hooks, but maybe that's not the case. We've talked about how newer generations just aren't taking to Star Wars like the older generations, but maybe it's not Star Wars they're rejecting. Maybe it's these same Skywalker connections that we all assumed were the most lucrative for Lucasfilm (and maybe they are, for the older generations) that do nothing for the younger generations and that when the studio starts doing something completely new and fresh, maybe Star Wars will balloon in popularity again.

In short, as big as Episode VII - IX have been (or will be, in IX's case), maybe Star Wars hasn't actually realized its potential with the current generation of movie goers. Perhaps sequel trilogy - again, as big as they've been - simply squeezed the max it could out of the old guard of fans but didn't even represent the potential for the entire domestic and worldwide market.

That's absolutely the vibe I've been getting from Lucasfilm lately. I think they do want to move on. They've made a lot of poor decisions, but that doesn't mean I think overall they're dumb people. I'm sure they're well aware that while the ST has ultimately been very profitable, they also screwed the pooch, because it's not making the amount of money or having the cultural impact it potentially should have. Ultimately what they created was a rehash of the Original Trilogy, except with lesser interesting characters. It frustratingly shows the glaring lack of creativity behind the scenes, to the point where the ST almost doesn't have it's own voice. It's like the kid brother (ST) trying to imitate the older cooler brother (OT). It also doesn't help that this ST was suppose to be a passing of the torch, but it's a problem when the new generation of characters don't come close to holding a candle to how beloved, iconic, and well written Luke, Han and Leia were. That doesn't mean Rey, Poe, Finn and Kylo don't have their fans, but I can't say they're resonating with people overall. Especially if you compare them to the characters from the other big Disney franchise. You know, the MCU.

I can only speculate based on what I'm seeing, that the powers that be are trying to right the ship. Putting the films on hiatus until they can figure things out, all the while giving television shows to creative voices like Johnny Fav who have a passion to tells stories within this universe. If you ask me, I think they should forget trying to put another film out in 2022. They should focus on a few television shows for the next few years to come, and pay close attention to what works, what doesn't work, and what resonates with the fans. 

Personally I'm optimistic about the future of Star Wars beyond TRoS. But I base a lot of that on personal speculation and just plain old good faith that they've understood and learned from their mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

Started my rewatch of the Saga films tonight with TPM.  It was actually better than I remembered.  The first 30 minutes are rough and slow, but as soon as we get to Tatooine it’s a great time.  Everything besides the time spent with the Gungans is good.  I’d probably give it a 7.5/10.  It’s still probably put it 9/10 in my SW rankings.  Jar Jar gets far too bad of a rep, the Ewoks are even worse than him. 

• Thanks 2

A 175m OW would be perfectly fine. This isn't a Harry Potter situation where in the mind of the audience it's all been building towards this huge climax. It's more likely one last hurrah with these characters a la Return of the Jedi. And that's ok!

• ...wtf 2
  • Disbelief 1