CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

1 hour ago, Valonqar said:

less shit than that forced friendship spot that I couldn't even finish. 

It’s was good other than they once again forgot the PT even exist.  Ffs I know they have some PT BTS they could use. 

4 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

So yeah it doesn't really make sense that the First Order would reign days after destroying Hosnian Prime. 

?? That's an entirely different discussion than how much the ST has focused on politics, but either way it makes perfect sense.  They're the most powerful entity in the galaxy following the destruction of the New Republic and its fleet.

Skipping this one at the cinema just like Solo after the disappointment of TLJ unless someone can convince me I will like it. And I loved 1-6 and Rogue One. I found TFA decent but forgettable. It was still enough for me to get excited for TLJ, which then destroyed all my interest in the final installment.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, misafeco said:

Skipping this one at the cinema just like Solo after the disappointment of TLJ unless someone can convince me I will like it. And I loved 1-6 and Rogue One. I found TFA decent but forgettable. It was still enough for me to get excited for TLJ, which then destroyed all my interest in the final installment.

Thanks 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WARNING: SOME DOUCHE ON REDDIT IS IMPLORING PEOPLE TO POST SPOILERS ON ALL SOCIAL MEDIA! BE CAREFUL! 

I don't know if he'll fulfill his threat but stay safe. he'd post real spoilers for the list he plans to make viral is real. His reddit name is whatif. if you see anything with the same ID (he may be using it on twitter, etc) don't read.

• Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

WARNING: SOME DOUCHE ON REDDIT IS IMPLORING PEOPLE TO POST SPOILERS ON ALL SOCIAL MEDIA! BE CAREFUL! 

I don't know if he'll fulfill his threat but stay safe. he'd post real spoilers for the list he plans to make viral is real. His reddit name is whatif. if you see anything with the same ID (he may be using it on twitter, etc) don't read.

Thanks for the warning. People have done this before so I assume they're serious.

Edited by EmmaPeel
  • Like 1

Fandom Menace, I presume.  If not, a similar group.

Some folks just are so messed up inside that the only way they can get joy is to spread misery to others.

Sad, really. I feel sorry for them, actually.  Hope they find a way to fill whatever hole it is they have inside of them that makes them do this.

(I can be this forgiving as I'm really planning on being off social media quite a bit for the next couple of weeks :ph34r:)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Knights of Ren said:

It’s was good other than they once again forgot the PT even exist.  Ffs I know they have some PT BTS they could use. 

Watched this mash up long ago but still gold

• Thanks 1

Skipping midnights this time. After work on opening day for me. 

I’ve still managed to avoid the last trailer. 

This friendship spot was downright insulting to me as a fan of episodes 1-6. Completely ignored the prequels. It's not even funny at this point LOL. ST inability to embrace the positives of the prequels is one of the reasons (amongst others) there is such muted hype for TROS. There is hype but it feels more like mockingjay part 2 atm than ROTS.. let alone anything like endgame/deathly Hallows part 2

Everytime someone in one of these videos says 'and this is the last one' I roll my eyes. 

Edited by darthdevidem01
  • Like 2
  • Not Cool 1

1 hour ago, darthdevidem01 said:

This friendship spot was downright insulting to me as a fan of episodes 1-6. Completely ignored the prequels. It's not even funny at this point LOL. ST inability to embrace the positives of the prequels is one of the reasons (amongst others) there is such muted hype for TROS. There is hype but it feels more like mockingjay part 2 atm than ROTS.. let alone anything like endgame/deathly Hallows part 2

Everytime someone in one of these videos says 'and this is the last one' I roll my eyes. 

Or maybe it was a promo for the ST, so all of the people featured in it were people that are in the ST.  Is that really so difficult to see?

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Or maybe it was a promo for the ST, so all of the people featured in it were people that are in the ST.  Is that really so difficult to see?

I thought these marketing spots were supposed to signify TROS as the end of the Saga and bringing all nine films together, not just "people who are in the ST".

2 minutes ago, Menor said:

I thought these marketing spots were supposed to signify TROS as the end of the Saga and bringing all nine films together, not just "people who are in the ST".

It has differentiated between spots.  That one in particular was just about family.  At first I was upset but I just didn’t understand the context.  The PT has been included in all the ones intended to be about the whole saga. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

It has differentiated between spots.  That one in particular was just about family.  At first I was upset but I just didn’t understand the context.  The PT has been included in all the ones intended to be about the whole saga. 

I guess...still think they could have included some more in this and some of the other spots but it's not worth getting mad about.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Menor said:

This one clearly isn't.  It's actually a TRoS promo more than even an ST promo. It didn't just lack PT clips, there was no Obiwan, no Yoda, and no Vader either.  It was even edited to hammer home all of the journeys of each character, cutting from an old clip of an actor or actress to a new clip of that same actor or actress from TRoS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, misafeco said:

You are going to be there opening weekend. Just like every single person who still complains about TLJ two years later.

No one, and I mean *no one* believes people like you are going to actually boycott the finale of the Star Wars saga. The return of Ian McDiarmid as Palpatine. The return of Billy Dee Williams as Lando. One final time seeing Mark Hamill as Luke, Carrie Fisher as Leia, & Anthony Daniels as Threepio. And potentially many others kept under wraps (See Warwick Davies as Wicket in the behind the scenes video for example).

No fan is boycotting this movie. None. Zip. Zero. No matter how much they pretend they are online.

Edited by Cheebs86
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ZackM said:

This one clearly isn't.  It's actually a TRoS promo more than even an ST promo. It didn't just lack PT clips, there was no Obiwan, no Yoda, and no Vader either.  It was even edited to hammer home all of the journeys of each character, cutting from an old clip of an actor or actress to a new clip of that same actor or actress from TRoS.

That's fair, guess I was mistaken on the purpose of this spot.

1 minute ago, Menor said:

That's fair, guess I was mistaken on the purpose of this spot.

I mean, that isn't to say there isn't strategic and intentional use of OT clips.  I just don't think every piece of marketing is designed to convey the "end of the 9 part saga" narrative.  In this case the proof is in the pudding.

• Like 1

Put this in the international thread but thought I’d post it here as well, Rise of Skywalker is doing incredible at my local theatre here in New Zealand. 

Albany Event Cinemas (New Zealand) -Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker  opening day (Thur 19/12/2019)10 days before release vs 3 days/12 hours to release of other films. 

0:01am  139/216

0:01am 137/216

0:01am 132/216

0:01am GC 40/40

0:01am GC 30/30

9:00am 19/216

10:20am 14/216

10:30am GC 23/30 

11:00am 10/216

11:20am GC 23/40 

12:20pm 11/216

1:40pm 12/216

1:50pm GC 15/30

2:20pm 3D 19/216

2:40pm GC 3D 24/40 

3:40pm 12/216

5:00pm 34/216

5:10pm GC 30/30

7:00pm 123/216

8:20pm 59/216

8:30pm GC 29/30

9.20pm 16/216

9.20pm GC 37/40 

10.20pm 9/216

Total  997/3550 (28.08%) 

I think it’s safe to assume by local time midnight there will be over 100 tickets sold but I don’t want to stay up too late tonight and wait for it to tick over. 

I removed the Hobbs and Shaw and Joker comps as they were giving close to or over $10m opening weekends which is impossible so they have clearly become obsolete. Both TLK and Frozen II comps are very good though. This thing is selling like hot cakes and has a chance to overtake TLK in 12 hours which is very impressive although I suspect walkups not be nearly as strong. 

Next update I will give is 3 days before and my 12 hour report will be late as I’ll be on a flight but hopefully I’ll be able to do a 6-7 hours before and adjust down by what seems a reasonable amount. 

Comps

TLK 

Compared 3 days before 926/5338 (17.34%) = $5.5m

Compared 12 hours before 1831/5554(32.96%) = $2.78m

Frozen II

10 Days Before 231/2230 (10.36%) = $6.86m

3 Days Before 398/2230 (17.85%) = $3.98m

12 Hours Before 670/2572 (26.05%)  = $2.37m

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

14 hours ago, Macleod said:

OK, so you're going to contradict every single function and dynamic of storytelling in cinema to tell me that an interpretation you have equally meshes with how TLJ opens?  What does the music used at the end of TFA typically signify?  What do the kinds of aerial shots used to reveal the island signify?  Why spend a two-hour film on "the mystery of Luke Skywalker" and reveal him at the edge of a cliff, standing in full cloak, to turn around, see the lightsaber that his whole adult life was informed by, and begin to tear up?  What does this all signify? 

No matter what you think or I think, the cinematic language of those final two minutes tells us something completely different than what TLJ opens with.

I

Your Projecting to much of your own interpretation onto others and assuming that the person is ignoring some made up function and storytelling you labeled onto your own perspective, Because if not then give citations and credible sources for your absolute statement please.

The Music is represented by hope and resolution from Rey's POV because Luke is their last hope(as told to us in the film), that's all there is to it, TLJ continues this by showing Rey and the Audience that what she expects isn't what she is going to get, we know this was intentional because Rian asked JJ to change TFA's ending which had Luke Initially floating with rocks around him,the only contradiction is their costume design as Rian wanted something Darker for Luke.

Also no TFA isn't about the Mystery of Luke Skywalker, Luke Skywalker is the Macguffin which loses it's importance through out the film until either completely or is only brought up in the end. TFA is about Finn and Rey's Heroes Journey.

• Like 3