CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I’m not going to fault Abrams for however badly this ends up.

I’m going to blame the Disney executives who thought it was a good idea to release 5 films in a 4 year span, and rush out this trilogy every 2 years instead of giving the series time to breathe.

But them doing the sequel trilogy every two years is no different then the prequel trilogy having a new entry every three years.

1 minute ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

I’m not going to fault Abrams for however badly this ends up.

I’m going to blame the Disney executives who thought it was a good idea to release 5 films in a 4 year span, and rush out this trilogy every 2 years instead of giving the series time to breathe.

Bob Iger.  KK has always stated she wanted more times between the films, and she asked for the pause post TROS. 

15 minutes ago, Arendelle Legion said:

Imo, Disney live action remakes are just in a realm of their own with critic reception. They get judged simply for existing and being derivative, even while that’s exactly what it’s been proven time and time again that the audience wants that and are happy with it.    

Of course it’s true and good to keep in kind that audience reception could differ, and is much more important, but I think the baseline expectations for a big LA remake is “rotten, audiences are happy” whereas the baseline expectations for a Disney SW are “great reviews.” So this if the actual critic reception turns out like these social media reactions seem to forebode (not guaranteed), much more concerning to me than Mulan or The Little Mermaid or Snow White or whatever getting a 45% or something.

hmm...that's very nicely put.

19 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Lots of misguided souls around here, more than usual...

Here's a quick reality check, before you, like Elsa, go too far in the deep.

1. Ep. 8 will always be the worst Star Wars ever. Yes, even worse than the Prequels.

2. Fortunately, Ep. 9 has nothing in common with Ep. 8 - and a lot with Ep. 7, which was great.

3. Ep. 9 is the best from the sequels, better than Ep. 7 if only for all the stuff it contains.

4. It will make a lot of money.

5. I hope it gets low RT, because the traitors who tried to paint Ep. 8 as the best SW out there have lost their voting rights for life. A 50% RT from them means 99% RT for everyone else.

The Shay has spoken. Dismiss all the other silly comments and reactions.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

But them doing the sequel trilogy every two years is no different then the prequel trilogy having a new entry every three years.

...... Can you not do the math, or is that a poor attempt at sarcasm?

• Haha 2

10 years from now ppl will remember Baby Yoda (quite fondly too) but not any of the new characters from the ST

I ain't mad though, just look at him! Awww

baby-yoda-memes.jpg

There is definitely a big difference between 2 and 3 years for filmmaking, but had Disney actually bothered to map out the trilogy like MCU, then 2 years wouldn’t be any problem to make each film. 

10 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Why didn't Disney have a trilogy mapped out prior to TFA?  I felt that was a misstep even then...   

They seemed to be in a hurry to start pumping out Star Wars films as soon as they brought the property from Lucas. 

6 minutes ago, OncomingStorm93 said:

...... Can you not do the math, or is that a poor attempt at sarcasm?

Bit of both

Mind's not really into it today really, should quit while I'm ahead 😛

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

Why didn't Disney have a trilogy mapped out prior to TFA?  I felt that was a misstep even then...   

This is the original sin, imo. Even worse than rushing was making the a movie, then another movie, then another movie, instead of making a trilogy. You’ve gotta have some flexibility, sure. But you’ve also gotta have a plan.   

Even if this movie all works out fine, which is now something of an underappreciated possibility imo, not having a clear roadmap for all 3 before locking in ep 7 was a huge and completely unforced error.

• Like 1

If anything, I pray we one day get a behind the scenes documentary on the troubled development of this trilogy. Not sure if that'll ever happen under the tight grip of Disney.

Im sure it was posted before but HOLY SHIT. I will avoid reviews and go blind tomorrow to watch this mess

22 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

I feel like the big mistake of the sequel trilogy was not having the story group or whoever map out the state of the *galaxy* and then bring a writer/director in to work in that setting that they had now carefully built and established.

Letting Abrams, who really just wanted to make a Star Wars film that reminded him of the OT that he loved, make all those crucial decisions may have proven to be the fatal error of the ST.

Abrams is just not good at world-building, and Johnson proved, if anything, worse at it, IMO.  (The sequel trilogy galaxy just feels empty and formless to me.  I don't have a feel for it at all.)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MyMovieCanBeatUpYourMovie said:

Abrams is just not good at world-building, and Johnson proved, if anything, worse at it, IMO.  (The sequel trilogy galaxy just feels empty and formless to me.  I don't have a feel for it at all.)

Yeah I mean if you think about it, what did the ST do to expand the scope of the Star Wars setting? The Prequels, for all it's faults, at least took the setting of Star Wars, and blew it wide open. We got so many new locations, races, cultures, civilizations, politics, concepts, and lore added to Star Wars. It felt like a lived in Galaxy.

The ST just feels so empty, and because it tries so much to be like the OT, it also feels like it lacks it's own voice. By the end of it all, what did the ST add to the Saga, and what was it all for? 

Edited by Snark88

1 minute ago, Snark88 said:

Yeah I mean if you think about it, what did the ST do to expand the scope of the Star Wars setting? The Prequels, for all it's faults, at least took the setting of Star Wars, and blew it wide open. We got so many new locations, races, cultures, civilizations, politics, concepts, and lore added to Star Wars. It felt like a lived in Galaxy.

The ST just feels so empty, and because it tries so much to be like the OT, it also feels like it lacks it's own voice. By the end of it all, what did the ST add to the Saga, and what was it all for? 

Yeah, the insistence by Disney to refer to this film as “the end of the Skywalker Saga” always seemed hollow to me, because the story already had a proper finale back in 1983. I’m not saying that you can’t tell stories that take place after RotJ, but  retroactively treating the OT like it was merely the second act of a story just seems really forced. 

I don't think it's a stretch to say there has been more world building in 6 episodes of The Mandalorian than in either TFA or TLJ.   

It's crazy that Disney had the MCU going strong and saw how important a guy like Feige was for it's success and never bothered to map out where this was going...   the blueprint was an office down on the left. 

• Like 1