CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | 20 DEC 2019 | NO SPOILERS | Reviews Page 651 | Worst reviewed live action Star Wars movie Ever

AndyLL

Talking about the leaks, not matter how vague, can lead to a thread ban if not spoiler tagged.

Message added by AndyLL

5 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

The actress suffered a lot in real life thanks to RJ's stupidity in characterization. 

Such a pity she can't have more moment for herself in TROS.

I love this attempt to show sympathy by implying the abuse was somehow justified.

• Like 3
  • Disbelief 1

THe Star Wars movies under Disney are averaging over a billion dollars a movie. We are a little disappointed in the OW for the current Star Wars movie and it still opened to a 180m. Oh Disney is so going to sell this property.

On 12/20/2019 at 4:02 PM, RockyMountain said:

Sorry but Star Wars has never had great world building. Basically there was a Rebellion and an Empire and you were told to take it from there. We were never even told how long the Rebellion had been going on.

The thing is though we didn't really need any extra world-building to understand the conflict in the OT and even the PT because they were recognizable from real world examples. We've all seen a small group of Rebels rise up against an Empire (American Revolution, Vietnam War) and a Republic fall from within (the Roman Empire). But there are no real world parallels to the situation in the ST, because it simply doesn't make sense. There's never been a case where a massive military force came out of nowhere (the First Order) and a Republic refused to fight them and instead secretly supported a resistance group. If JJ and the story group wanted to use that scenario they should have done a lot more world-building to try and make sense of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The major problem with Palpatine in this movie is that he should have been hinted in the last jedi and should have been revealed later in the rise of Skywalker.

It's a fundamental fail in writing because to a lot of the new fans they don't have that attachment to Palpatine.

I think they could have gone with snoke being dead in The Last Jedi but then hinted at there being a greater force behind him...and ren be like hmmmmm

That could have been perhaps the one storyline that could have existed in The Last Jedi that could have really excited the fan base for the last film.

You may ask how would I know that would excite the fanbase... well we have realized how big of a deal snoke was to the fanbase and he was a nobody...

And as a result the first third of the rise of Skywalker wouldn't have been such a mess

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Darth Homer said:

The thing is though we didn't really need any extra world-building to understand the conflict in the OT and even the PT because they were recognizable from real world examples. We've all seen a small group of Rebels rise up against an Empire (American Revolution, Vietnam War) and a Republic fall from within (the Roman Empire). But there are no real world parallels to the situation in the ST, because it simply doesn't make sense. There's never been a case where a massive military force came out of nowhere (the First Order) and a Republic refused to fight them and instead secretly supported a resistance group. If JJ and the story group wanted to use that scenario they should have done a lot more world-building to try and make sense of it.

The only comparison I think is the mongols really 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth Homer said:

I have no say in this discussion because I'm not too bothered with world building (For me it's just there to service the tone/story and characters journey's, Star Wars has always had a cool world which I love but it's mostly aesthetic for me, it's one of the reasons I don't care much for the prequels they seemed much more concerned with world than their characters).

But I do remember this quote from JJ in 2015 if you want more insight into his thought process. 

Speaking about “The First Order,” director J.J. Abrams had this to say:

“That all came out of conversations about what would have happened if the Nazis all went to Argentina but then started working together again?’ What could be born of that? Could The First Order exist as a group that actually admired The Empire? Could the work of The Empire be seen as unfulfilled? And could Vader be a martyr? Could there be a need to see through what didn’t get done?”

Wow... I'm not a fan of this franchise at all, but I'm beyond shocked at these numbers. I mean, not even in my wildest dreams I expected the final SW movie to open at $175m, 4 years ago, people were claiming that this movie would be the first one to do $300m on OW, and it couldn't even gross more than an animated sequel (Incredibles 2). 

To not mention the fact there's a strong chance it goes below $1b WW, and considering the most optmistic prospect is to it come below Rogue One, a fucking spin off it is something truly embarassing.

I'm speachless.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

I have no say in this discussion because I'm not too bothered with world building (For me it's just there to service the tone/story and characters journey's, Star Wars has always had a cool world which I love but it's mostly aesthetic for me, it's one of the reasons I don't care much for the prequels they seemed much more concerned with world than their characters).

But I do remember this quote from JJ in 2015 if you want more insight into his thought process. 

That kind of explains the First Order part but still doesn't explain the New Republic being totally oblivious and basically letting themselves get blown up. It would be like if the Nazis that fled to Argentina got hold of an army and nuclear weapons and the UN was basically, "Nah, we're not gonna fight them. How about we set up a small resistance group to try and keep them in check?"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RockyMountain said:

THe Star Wars movies under Disney are averaging over a billion dollars a movie. We are a little disappointed in the OW for the current Star Wars movie and it still opened to a 180m. Oh Disney is so going to sell this property.

175 though not 180

I think Star Wars is in a tricky place at the moment.  I think KK realizes that the brand needs it times, and cranking out a ton of movies and shows is not the best idea.  It needs time to breathe in order to become an event.  Bob Iger on the other hand thinks they need to blast out so much Star Wars content, and people will just eat it up.  Iger really doesn't fundamentally understand Star Wars IMO.  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the problems with TROS are because of his orders.  

7 minutes ago, Knights of Ren said:

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the problems with TROS are because of his orders. 

Scheduling all these mega-blockbusters in 2019 for a start, for whatever reason (retirement bonus, content for Disney+...). JJ may be a hack, but it is hard to believe the movie would be as messy and busy as it is if they had one more year of production after the change in directors.

We're going to end this saga the same way that all-time grossing movie EndGame did 🙂...

The ace pilot guy, he's Captain America. Palpatine's Warship fleet represents Thanos' alien army. 

The ace pilot's comrades are shot down, and he's facing an insurmountable predicament, and certain death. SUDDENLY theres silence, as a voice comes through in his earpiece. 

All the rebel heroes then materialize via hyperspace, the odds are now even, and a huge battle ensues. 

SMH🙂...it was so blatant...

Disclaimer: this is not intended to be an argument with fanboys, or a silly and pointless game of "who gets the last word". Have a nice day. 

Edited by OdinSon2k14

2 minutes ago, The Horror of Lucas Films said:

UK: -27%
Germany: -6%
France: -19%
Japan: -2%
Australia: -23%
China: -76%
Spain: -1%
Brazil: -22%
Russia: -44%
DOM: -20%

Jesus Christ.

rofl

I didn't hate TLJ by any means, but I do feel like this would have all been so much better if the basic plotlines of TROS had been spread out over two movies instead of crammed into one.  It could have been really interesting with Ben learning how he was manipulated since he was a child, how the darkness in him was a lot of Palpatine's doing, how his feeling of being rejected and having his family fear him made him such easy pickings, and I think that the audience could have bought into his redemption and keeping him alive if we'd had  more time to address all of that.  That could have been such an interesting parallel to Rey and how she dealt with isolation and feeling abandoned.  As it was, those few minutes of Ben Solo at the end had the most interesting, charismatic character I felt like I'd seen for a while.  I wanted to see him and Rey fighting Palps together.  I don't really care one way or the other about Reylo, but it was really kind of weird how he got shunted off to the side (in a pit, whatever), while all the Force ghosts were like "Ben who?"  I expected the ending to involve both of them having to come together to defeat the Big Bad and that...was not really what I had in mind, lol.  Ah, well. I still really enjoyed the movie.  Just will be forever sort of doing the What Could Have Been if they had, you know, had some sort of plan for this from the get-go. 

1 minute ago, aladdino said:

so this is gonna gross 1/2 of what the force awakens did ww, yikes

But 150% more than Solo, the previous movie in this franchise. :monopoly:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

But 150% more than Solo, the previous movie in this franchise. :monopoly:

throwing rogue and solo in the middle of a trilogy what a weird move that probably confused non sw fans tbh

3 minutes ago, aladdino said:

throwing rogue and solo in the middle of a trilogy what a weird move that probably confused non sw fans tbh

It confused so many of my friends LOL

Good lord every time there is a cavalry arrives type scene now we will have to hear it copies avengees endgame. Please.

If all the force ghosts had appeared behind rey maybe.