Derby Summer League: Signups due by 4/22/19 Read more... ×

MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | December 20 2019 | JJ Abrams to direct | Teaser Page 172

I took my reply to WittyUsername to the appropriate thread:

I suggest others here do as well. ;)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mulder said:

And all Marvel movies are superhero movies with superpowers, fun sidekicks, supervillains, and fanservicey comic nods by that logic.

“Superhero movies” is a pretty broad concept. Guardians of the Galaxy is a lot more different from Iron Man than Rogue One is from Solo. If you want to argue that the Marvel approach works for Star Wars, we sure didn’t see that with Solo. 

Anyway, that’s the last I’ll say on the subject, since I don’t want to start a flame war. The bottom line is that if Disney is going to keep releasing Star Wars movies on a yearly basis, they should prepare themselves for more Solos. 

Edited by WittyUsername

50 minutes ago, Mulder said:

If you're going to seriously tell me Rogue One and Solo feel the same but stuff like the MCU always feels super distinct ((And I love the MCU)) then...😄

Depends how we're defining "feel" I guess. Rogue One and Solo involve either many of the same characters or same plotlines/plot devices from the original trilogy. The franchise has been recycling the same shit (Skywalkers, Leia, Solo, Death Star) for decades. Rogue One is the closest thing to something new, I'll give you that. 

Edited by tonytr87

I liked the trailer. Billy Dee coming back is awesome, and Rey taking on a starfighter with her lighsaber is the most bad ass thing these new films have done.

That said, the excitement of the last two is clearly gone now that the original trio are also gone. The trailer views are pretty disappointing, it's already slowing down in the low 20s on YouTube whereas The Last Jedi teaser did over 40m.

I'm going to go out on a limb and at this point predict a $125m OW and a $350m domestic total. Star Wars its Justice League moment.

perxepm.gif 

Edited by Hunch
  • Not Cool 1

33 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Yikes...Marvel movies are the epitome of generic.  I can never remember which ones I've seen because they all just meld together in my mind.

Sucks for you. But for example, the Cap movies are entirely different tonally and stylistically from the Thor movies or Iron Man movies. 

3 minutes ago, Hunch said:

I liked the trailer. Billy Dee coming back is awesome, and Rey taking on a starfighter with her lighsaber is the most bad ass thing these new films have done.

That said, the excitement of the last two is clearly gone now that the original trio are also gone. The trailer views are pretty disappointing, it's already slowing down in the low 20s on YouTube whereas The Last Jedi teaser did over 40m.

I'm going to go out on a limb and at this point predict a $125m OW and a $350m domestic total. Star Wars its Justice League moment.

perxepm.gif 

One can only hope. Hollywood needs a kick in the ass if they're ever going to flirt with starting NEW franchises ever again. 

• Not Cool 1

ignore the caption but I got sent this saying “the caption applies to most guys in your position, but I bet all you care about is the fact he’s watching Star Wars” 

ngl, my reaction to TFA trailer was eerie similar to this

51 minutes ago, ZackM said:

Yikes...Marvel movies are the epitome of generic.  I can never remember which ones I've seen because they all just meld together in my mind.

There is a bigger difference between Winter Soldier and Thor Ragnorak then TLJ and TFA.

Comments like that are just snobbish and nonsensical at best. 

34 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

There is a bigger difference between Winter Soldier and Thor Ragnorak then TLJ and TFA.

Comments like that are just snobbish and nonsensical at best. 

One could have an hard time telling reading the some BOT users reactions to TLJ and TFA, they seem quite quite different.

Would love to find someone that loved one and hated the other in that Marvel pair.

twitter trends too dominant; fuck youtube views

8 minutes ago, excel1 said:

twitter trends too dominant; fuck youtube views

Looking at this:

PI_17.08.23_socialMediaUpdate_0-06.png

Twitter do seem quite strong with the 30 to 64 versus the other demo (and "whiter"), that the age of the demography that were kids between 1977 to the lates 80s would be now.

But with Solo, I had a lot of those youtube views cannot say what they are telling, must be low in part because Star Wars audience will be watching the trailers on other platform more than for others younger playing franchise, at the end Solo disastrous youtube views were very telling.

Star Wars has a vast galaxy and could tell many diverse stories to tell. It could literally tell any story it wanted to. I think they are stuck in this one time period but once episode 9 ends they can start exploring different worlds and different characters it's very exciting to be a star wars fan. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hunch said:

perxepm.gif 

That's called just plain being stupid. Nuff said. Go smoke your crack and enjoy!

7 hours ago, Hunch said:

perxepm.gif 

Why are you comparing a 3 year total view count vs a 3 day view count? TLJ and TROS total teaser view counts are nearly identical at this point in time for both, if anything TROS is slightly ahead of TLJ.

Edited by Cheebs86
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Lordmandeep said:

And then what?

Star Wars could be as big and broad appealing as Marvel, and far more. You could have Movies/TV series for kids based on silly robots, or forest bound teddy bears, and you could have them with more adult themes. The Mandalorian would be an example, it could be very adult given how warrior like they are, it could be a truly adult series.

Star Wars is not limited, whats limited is Disneys vision. So far the output has just been middle of the road and mediocre at best. My hatred for TFA, for example, isnt because its a 'bad' movie in the traditional sense, its because its so painfully bland and unimaginative to the point of being offensively so. Rogue One was a step up as were some episodes of rebels, but its not good enough by half.

Edited by GirafficPark

6 minutes ago, ZackM said:

And then what?

I dont know I just find it funny when people say the films are all the same when all the films draw in different audiences. 

4 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

I dont know I just find it funny when people say the films are all the same when all the films draw in different audiences. 

Do they?

10 hours ago, DAJK said:

ignore the caption but I got sent this saying “the caption applies to most guys in your position, but I bet all you care about is the fact he’s watching Star Wars” 

ngl, my reaction to TFA trailer was eerie similar to this

That guy is getting a lot of unnecessary flak for how he reacted.   

I just wonder if it really is truly hard for people to not act like assholes.

Edited by DAR
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, DAR said:

That guy is getting a lot of unnecessary flak for how we reacted.   

I just wonder if it really is truly hard for people to not act like assholes.

Wait what?

This reaction is real and not a parody? :wintf: