CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | With Analog Fur Technology | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams to direct | Teaser Page 172

I've read the Aftermath trilogy and it's fine from what I can remember? Nothing mind-blowing but I liked the characters enough.

6 minutes ago, Gamora said:

I've read the Aftermath trilogy and it's fine from what I can remember? Nothing mind-blowing but I liked the characters enough.

I love Rae Sloane and Imperials but the rest of them were big skip. Empire folks proved once again more fun than dull as dishwasher Rebels and bounty hunters with the heart of gold. I skipped those parts cause I was bored. Imperial parts were entertaining. Sloane is an amazing character, crazy Tashu, Rax and little Hux are fun and Palpatine's plan is so wack I really hope it rolls over into TROS. Also, intriguing set up that there's the source of the Dark Side in Unknown Regions. Perhaps that where he returned from?

Posted (edited)

In current canon, there are plenty of ways for Palps to have some sort of existence/presence post-death.  From cloning (with a side dash of mind/soul transference) to robots with programmed AI to holocrons to weird ghostly apparitions tied to a location.

About the only thing they really can't be is a Force Ghost ala Kenobi and Yoda (this was a bright red line for Lucas).  But something that makes little functional difference from a Force Ghost?  Sure.

The theory I've seen that I immediately like is the idea of Palpatine 'haunting' the wreckage of DS2 (and is 'stuck' there - chained to a relic or something like that). It ties into the idea of the Dark Side being a pale imitation of the Light Side when it comes to creation and life.  I also like it when it's viewed as more of a curse than a benefit, as that draws from a VERY deep well of mythology.

What Palps ultimate goal could theoretically be is to try to regain a semblance of 'real' existence.  If he's trapped in some sort of classic cursed undead state where through sheer willpower he can influence galactic events, but as a shadow who can't really leave the area he's at, him trying to 'return to life' somehow makes a hell of a plot-hook.

And, before it comes up, it would be 'universal', not 'cliche'. ;)

That's the idea that makes sense to me.  Ties in to deep SW waters as well as many a mythological story.  Only potential problem is giving enough of a setup in film, but 2:30 should be more than enough for setup and denouncement.  Especially if they don't get bogged down in minutiae. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

Yeah think they might reveal that somehow Palpatine was behind the First Order all along with Snoke was acting under Palpatine's orders. Whether Palpatine was directly giving instructions or he was sub consciously influencing Snoke and the First Order.

You wonder why I keep a rabid cur in such a place of power? A cur's weakness, properly manipulated, can be a sharp tool

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DAR said:

So finish the Aftermath trilogy?

Aftermath is a tough read, but if you power through, you're rewarded with Life Debt and Empire's End.  They're both much better than Aftermath.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Porthos said:

What Palps ultimate goal could theoretically be is to try to regain a semblance of 'real' existence.  If he's trapped in some sort of classic cursed undead state where through sheer willpower he can influence galactic events, but as a shadow who can't really leave the area he's at, him trying to 'return to life' somehow makes a hell of a plot-hook.

That would be another Sauron/Voldemort redux, but I'm here for it.

I hope they explain whatever the hell Snoke was supposed to be.

Edited by Hunch
  • Like 1

re: that fan who was mocked for no good reason:

All's well that ends well. 👍

(lots of other great posts in that thread)

((also showed those tweets to not give exposure to the jagoff that started the pile-on, and is trying to relish the attention being given to him))

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hunch said:

That would be another Sauron/Voldemort redux, but I'm here for it.

Like I said, something of a universal trope.

3 minutes ago, Hunch said:

I hope they explain whatever the hell Snoke was supposed to be.

Just as long as they don't bog down the story in needless crap.  Make it natural and free-flowing.  Side points of conversation or discovery, sure.  Someone monologuing for minutes on end?  Not as much.

Not something I really care about too much.  But a side line or five, sure, why not.

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Yeah think they might reveal that somehow Palpatine was behind the First Order all along with Snoke was acting under Palpatine's orders. Whether Palpatine was directly giving instructions or he was sub consciously influencing Snoke and the First Order.

You wonder why I keep a rabid cur in such a place of power? A cur's weakness, properly manipulated, can be a sharp tool

" It was I who allowed the Alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive."

- You know who in RotJ

A line of dialogue like the above about Snoke and Palpatine manipulating things from afar is all TROS really needs.  Maybe a side dash of "I guided Snoke to form the First Order in my own image .  An Empire reborn from the ashes of your futile, temporary, resistance."

Just for the love of gawd don't make it a huge info dump.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 3

Some great thoughts @Porthos! Ever since the initial frustration with TLJ wore off, I've had 100% faith in Lucasfilm to right the ship and handle Episode IX well. I hope they'll do something akin to some of the ideas you're suggesting.

• Thanks 1

Snoke is probably the most disappointing thing for me in this trilogy.... it’s almost like you HAVE to bring back Palpatine in some way to have been controlling Snoke the entire time to make his death ok.

4 hours ago, Porthos said:

That's the idea that makes sense to me.  Ties in to deep SW waters as well as many a mythological story.  Only potential problem is giving enough of a setup in film, but 2:30 should be more than enough for setup and denouncement.  Especially if they don't get bogged down in minutiae. 

You mean denouement.

21 minutes ago, Fielding said:

You mean denouement.

I nevor said I culd spll good. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll put Aftermath Empire End spoilers in spoiler tags. If mods think they should remove, please do. Also, please don't ban me cause I'm not posting TROS leaks. This is an official published book that explains what Palpatine wanted in case of Empire's fall:

First Order: Palpatine sent his most trusted officers to the Unknown Regions to create the new Empire. They created what we know as the First Order. It is not explained how Snoke figures out in this cause at the end of the book, Admiral Rae Sloane is believed to have become the head of the First Order. She befriended young Armitage Hux (4 years at the time) who became extremely adept at controlling older children and pitting them against each other if necessary. There orphans will create the first wave of the new Storm Troopers. Hux's father was the head of the new Storm Trooper program that basically brainwashed children into becoming loyal soldiers.

Palpatine's plan for GFFA: Because the Empire (aka Galaxy far far away) failed to protect its Emperor, Palpatine decided to destroy it and make a new Empire in another galaxy (Unknown Regions). The galaxy destruction (yes, we are talking about cataclysmic event that would wipe out the whole galaxy) was meant to start with the explosion of the planet Jakku. It's rather convoluted how they were supposed to do it but basically Jakku explosion would create a ripple effect and destroy the whole galaxy. Palpatine appointed former Jakku scavenger-orphan Galius Rax (whom he groomed to be his loyal servant) to accomplish this task, but he was thwarted by Rae Sloane and Nora Wexley (Snap Wexley's mother).

Palpatine and the source of the Dark Side: throughout his tenure as the Emperor, Palpatine believed that the source of the Dark Side aka the source of his power exists in the Unknown Regions for he heard something like a signal coming from it. He sent numerous expeditions to find the way and after many lives have been lost they managed to clear the path into the Unknown Regions (apparently, UR is very hostile environment with electrical storms, black holes and strange creatures that one can see from the star ship). Due to that clearing, Palpatine claimed that her could hear the signal much better but nobody else could including his fellow Dark Sider Vader. so some thought that Palpatine was a bit crazy.

Leia and Baby Ben Solo: Luke gave Leia a little bit of Force training while she was pregnant. during the attempt to feel a plant through the Force, Leia felt her unborn son. Later on, Leia was plagued by bad dreams and feel that she was being watched by something, and the same thing apparently disturbed the unborn baby too. Outside of the Solo family, a group of teenage Vader worshippers that called themselves The Acolytes of The Beyond (the beyond was also used to describe Unknown Regions) were also having strange and disturbing dreams and felt like they were called by something. It was never explained what caused the dreams or whether those dreams that affected Leia, baby and Acolytes were just anxiety or something sinister.

• Thanks 1
  • Not Cool 1

29 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Did Abrams like the Last Jedi? 

There are two schools of thought on this board.

1. The past SW film backlash is a small subset of people online and no one outside even knows about it especially Lucasfilm and it has no effect on Episode 9.

2. Rise of Skywalker is purposefully full of plot points and fan service to get the fans back on board after a divisive reaction to the last SW film. 

Who is right ? 

1 hour ago, Lordmandeep said:

There are two schools of thought on this board.

1. The past SW film backlash is a small subset of people online and no one outside even knows about it especially Lucasfilm and it has no effect on Episode 9.

2. Rise of Skywalker is purposefully full of plot points and fan service to get the fans back on board after a divisive reaction to the last SW film. 

Who is right ? 

What kind of an answer to @CaptainJackSparrow is that?  :wintf:

• Like 4