CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | With Analog Fur Technology | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams to direct | Teaser Page 172

I think that when people say "hook" they mean the difference between a big hit and a phenomenon. TROS will do well. It won't flop like Solo cause Main Saga. But hook could make a difference between a very big hit and insanity. 

I mean, you know where I stand on the whole mystery box marketing crap, @Valonqar.  It's one of the few things I really have a beef with when it comes to Disney and how they're handling SW.

One reason why I do want TROS to have a presence at SDCC.  Follow the TFA playbook when it comes to marketing rampup and step outside the DIsney marketing area a little bit.

(Also, maaaaaaybe give a hint to the plot?  That might be nice, too)

Posted (edited)

They really should have called it quits after Episode VI, absolutely no reason for the sequel trilogy to exist story-wise.

That said, will go and see the final movie in December.

Edited by Thomas Beck
  • Disbelief 1

What's the status of SW presence at SDCC and D23? Will they be at both? Just D23? Anyone know?

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Porthos said:

I mean, you know where I stand on the whole mystery box marketing crap, @Valonqar.  It's one of the few things I really have a beef with when it comes to Disney and how they're handling SW.

One reason why I do want TROS to have a presence at SDCC.  Follow the TFA playbook when it comes to marketing rampup and step outside the DIsney marketing area a little bit.

(Also, maaaaaaybe give a hint to the plot?  That might be nice, too)

Oh I absolutely agree. Nobody wants the movie to be told in 2 min. but hint of a plot would be nice, some context to scenes. And yes to presence at both SDCC and D23. Steady marketing presence is better than just ramping it up close to release. 

@jedijake don't quote me on this but it appears that SW presence at SDCC is only publishing stuff (Del Rey, Marvel) while D23 will have actual TROS presence. most likely BTS and poster(s) but maaaaybe shockingly trailer, though that's more likely in October if it follows TLJ marketing steps (and so far it does). I mean, trailer is usually released closer to the release of a movie it'll be attached with, and this would miss TLK so literally nothing on the horizon. So yeah, scratch trailer, BTS it is. 

Edited by Valonqar

2 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Oh I absolutely agree. Nobody wants the movie to be told in 2 min. but hint of a plot would be nice, some context to scenes. And yes to presence at both SDCC and D23. Steady marketing presence is better than just ramping it up close to release. 

Mystery box doesn't have to be complete blackout on plot and concept. Simply posing questions that will likely be answered would be enough to entice. Tell fans things like "we will find out more about Rey's backgruond" and "we will delve deeper into how Ben Solo became involved in the dark side" or "this is the overall threat and now the heroes have to find a way to stop it once and for all". Do that and you can leave questions on the table but still invoke interest. And I think that JJ will do that. It's just still 6 months away from release.

10 minutes ago, jedijake said:

Mystery box doesn't have to be complete blackout on plot and concept. Simply posing questions that will likely be answered would be enough to entice. Tell fans things like "we will find out more about Rey's backgruond" and "we will delve deeper into how Ben Solo became involved in the dark side" or "this is the overall threat and now the heroes have to find a way to stop it once and for all". Do that and you can leave questions on the table but still invoke interest. And I think that JJ will do that. It's just still 6 months away from release.

all of this. I expect we get something more with the trailer cause trailers are always more to the point than teasers. 

I'm surprised we didn't get a teaser poster at the Chicago celebration. Hopefully D23 will reveal it as it will be time to put it in Coming Soon window at the cinemas. TLJ had a terrific one. 

Posted (edited)

Godfucking dammit, this better not be true.

YOU DON'T HAVE TO "TOP" 2015 FOR BLANKTY-BLANK-BLANK BLANKS SAKE! :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: 

JUST DO SOMETHING GOOD AND DON'T WORRY ABOUT BEING BETTER THAN LAST TIME!!!!

There are times where I... disagree with the tact of marketing under Disney's watch. 

Edited by Porthos
  • Haha 1

*takes deep breath*

*holds it*

*holds it*

*releases it slowly*

'kay.  I'm better now.  But sakes alive there are times that Disney's marketing blueprint when it comes to SW is.. vexing.

Yes.  Vexing is the perfect word, I think.

• Like 1

200.gif

I... I really have no words.  Really none.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1

16 minutes ago, Porthos said:

*takes deep breath*

*holds it*

*holds it*

*releases it slowly*

'kay.  I'm better now.  But sakes alive there are times that Disney's marketing blueprint when it comes to SW is.. vexing.

Yes.  Vexing is the perfect word, I think.

winnie the pooh hug GIF

This is a mistake.  My back's excited, but this is a mistake.  Unless Disney's completely redoing their schedule, The Rise of Skywalker won't be getting its own panel.  It will be lucky to get 15 minutes between Marvel and Artemis' Fowl or whatever Live Action Film they're pushing.  If they went to SDCC they'd have an hour to themselves and capture a whole news cycle to themselves.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Then again, maybe they just think: We're MFing Star Wars, baby.

It's an interesting gambit post-Solo.

15 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

winnie the pooh hug GIF

This is a mistake.  My back's excited, but this is a mistake.  Unless Disney's completely redoing their schedule, The Rise of Skywalker won't be getting its own panel.  It will be lucky to get 15 minutes between Marvel and Artemis' Fowl or whatever Live Action Film they're pushing.  If they went to SDCC they'd have an hour to themselves and capture a whole news cycle to themselves.

I must admit, I got a sinking feeling in my stomach the second I heard that a BtS reel for TROS would be at D23.  Or at least "exclusive behind the scenes look of upcoming films" with Star Wars being specifically mentioned.

That's when I suspected they might actually skip SDCC altogether.  Especially when I saw the word "exclusive".

So my reaction the last few posts was also some bottled up angst from the last two-and-a-half weeks being released.

Just... Sigh.  JJ/Disney Gonna JJ/Disney.

Edited by Porthos

no trailer, no poster, Lucasfilm is scared. Not that i think SDCC exposure will add anything to boxoffice. But they have not done anything to get back the naysayers of the ST.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

no trailer, no poster, Lucasfilm is scared. Not that i think SDCC exposure will add anything to boxoffice. But they have not done anything to get back the naysayers of the ST.

Trailer usually doesn't come out 'till October and I didn't expect that to change here.  Pretty obv now that a poster other than the "IX" one is coming out D23 (it's happened before ).

Just... Vep.  'Vexxed'.

I think they’re doing the right thing marketing-wise, TROS is piquing my interest paradoxically because of this blackout. The bitter taste of sUBvErSiOn is washing away, although I know it must frustrate people who liked TLJ.

So it's basically either or. They would either have an event at SDCC or D23 not both. So D23 it is. Oh well.

8 hours ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

Is this the first Star Wars filmed you followed? We didn't get a trailer after the Celebration teaser for either TFA or TLJ till the fall.

D23 makes a lot more sense for Disney honestly. I'm guessing we'll get the BTS teaser.

Disney's clearly saving stuff for this and a bunch of news for their upcoming projects for D23 this year. Plus Galaxy's Edge will be opening at Disney World the week after. Might as well go all in then.