CJohn

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | With Analog Fur Technology | 20 DEC 2019 | JJ Abrams to direct | Teaser Page 172

6 hours ago, JB33 said:

Is the matchup not juicy enough (I don't know, I don't follow the NFL at all).

Honestly, none of them are that appealing to make it a deciding factor, IMO.  The Browns v 49rs might be the most competitive. The others feels like loopsided victories which won't keep the casual fans engaged. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

Honestly, none of them are that appealing to make it a deciding factor, IMO.  The Browns v 49rs might be the most competitive. The others feels like loopsided victories which won't keep the casual fans engaged. 

Only needs to be competitive through the first half. :ph34r:

And Jimmy G would be entertaining enough to keep viewers around that first two quarters if it's the Browns/Niners game.  Isn't that right, @Water Bottle? ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

Only needs to be competitive through the first half. :ph34r:

And Jimmy G would be entertaining enough to keep viewers around that first two quarters if it's the Browns/Niners game.  Isn't that right, @Water Bottle? ;)

Jimmy G vs Baker Mayfield should be a draw yes. 

• Like 1

this movie will be a huge test of the Star Wars brand.

Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Why... Care to elaborate?

Edited by Geo1500

2 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

Why... Care to elaborate?

Mainly because The Last Jedi fell dramatically and Solo was a bomb.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

I kinda agree. Yes, TRoS could be used to see if TLJ really was super divisive and caused many fans to quit on the franchise. But even if TRoS is super successful, audiences could check out on the movie side of things. Maybe they only care about the Skywalker saga. The real test will be the non Skywalker saga movies.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Mainly because The Last Jedi fell dramatically and Solo was a bomb.

I agree somewhat but I still don't see it falling below 1.2B

5 minutes ago, Geo1500 said:

I agree somewhat but I still don't see it falling below 1.2B

Neither do I. That's an extremely low target.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

I kinda agree. Yes, TRoS could be used to see if TLJ really was super divisive and caused many fans to quit on the franchise. But even if TRoS is super successful, audiences could check out on the movie side of things. Maybe they only care about the Skywalker saga. The real test will be the non Skywalker saga movies.

This. Solo proved that a non-Skywalker Saga movie can fail even with the most popular character so question is whether the Saga is the nly SW to the audience or they just didn't care for (recast) Solo movie. Some characters work as a part of a larger ensemble but audience doesn't care to watch them carry their own story.

Edited by Valonqar

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Inceptionzq said:

I think the amount of damage that TLJ did to the brand is really overstated. Never forget, fans love to be overdramatic. I am betting 90% of the fans yelling the loudest about TLJ will be there opening weekend for TROS..just like fans who hated TPM were there for AOTC..though AOTC proved to be even worse then TPM. Fans love hyperbole, and you  have to take fan outrage with a ton of salt. And the outrage over TLJ is no worse then the outrage over TPM.

ANyway, it's the GA that matters in the end,and they are not as obsessed with TLJ as the fanboys were.

Solo was just a film that  a lot of people were just not excited about to begin with, and the huge coverage that the whole fiasco of it's making did not help matters. But, yeah, I think that it was the first SW film to out and out bomb has got to be a matter of concern..more then a lot of fan outrage over TLJ. Solo  seems to have killed off the Spin Off films for the time being. ANd I think Solo would probably haved bombed even if TLJ had not been as divisive as it was.

If the SW franchise could survive the double whammy of TPM and AOTC, it can survive this.

But I can see the franchise..and I know I have said this before..becoming like the Bond Franchise:still very successful; still very profitable, but not as massive as it once was.

And I agree the end of the SKywalker saga is going to be interesting. I think the whole "Rebels vs Empire" storyline has probably gone as far as it can without getting really repetitive (some would say it already has gotten repetitivie)  but they need to get the new approach right.

Main thing is to not to get "fan tunnel vision" and see everything through the eyes of a SW fanboy.You need to remember the GA or the Casual fan in the end is where the big money is.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

This. Solo proved that a non-Skywalker Saga movie can fail even with the most popular character so question is whether the Saga is the nly SW to the audience or they just didn't care for (recast) Solo movie. Some characters work as a part of a larger ensemble but audience doesn't care to watch them carry their own story.

And also the Solo film had huge,huge, problems like no other SW film had before. To say the whole CLusterf--k that was the making of this did not have a impact on the final quality of the film is pretty silly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Futurist said:

The Asian market is Star Wars misfortune.

I also wonder if Star Wars means as much to the younger kids in Western Audience as it does to their parents and grand parents. Wierre to think a lot of people who saw the film in  1977 now have grand kids.

My finger withered and died after having to scroll so far to get to the bottom of this page.

• Haha 6

Posted (edited)

the budget for TLJ has finally been posted on BOM and it was a whopping 317m. I guess Porgs are expensive to animate

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars8.htm

that number is also listed here

https://www.filmla.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2017_film_study_v3-WEB.pdf

Edited by John Marston
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the budget for TLJ has finally been posted on BOM and it was a whopping 317m.

Look like they used this directly 

Space Bear Industries (UK) Limited, in Pounds

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09164691/filing-history

Spending before 30 jan 2016: 44.973M, tax credit: 8.735M (1 GBP = 1.4243 USD, january 30)

Spending before 12 aug 2016: 117.28M, tax credit: 24.19M (1 GBP = 1.2956 USD)

Spending before 31 dec 2017: 86.232M, tax credit: 9.653M (1 GBP = 1.3514 USD)

Spending before 31 dec 2018: 43.697M, tax credit: 7.865M (1 GBP = 1.269 USD)

Total: 387.98M USD, tax credit: 66.8M (321.18M net, number will move a bit for which exchange rate date or an average you use)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, John Marston said:

the budget for TLJ has finally been posted on BOM and it was a whopping 317m. I guess Porgs are expensive to animate

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=starwars8.htm

that number is also listed here

https://www.filmla.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/2017_film_study_v3-WEB.pdf

Uh, how do we know that's reliable? I believe it though.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

Uh, how do we know that's reliable? I believe it though.

Box office mojo is historically one of the worst source to be used in very last resort (like if you go on wikipedia if the budget source is mojo that go into the category not known)

The filmLA tend to be better but imperfect has well.

For example they did put 200M for Amazing spider man 2:

https://www.filmla.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2014_FeatureFilm_study_v10_WEB.pdf

They go with the best estimate they can even if they do not know the actual numbers (they have for Dunkirk 116-135m range to shot how much they do not know and also lot of round numbers).

For example they did put 244M for Beauty and the beast

I think that the registered company for it:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/09060550/filing-history

Using an average rate of 1.5 (most of the spending was before Net spending about 245M USD, but that assume no other tax credit than those in the UK  (same for Last Jedi)

• Thanks 1