96 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Avatar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

We're a curious species, and when there are movies that deal with the unknowns, and take us onto a journey into that unknown, there is just something captivating about it. It's why movies like Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Star Trek and the like tend to have good box office receipts. This movie gets an A, I never once got board, and the movie holds well on repeat viewing. And oh, the special effects, out of this bloody world!

In my top 10 of all time list. Its a fabulous movie that takes you to another world better than any other film. Its also a film that seems so much better if you connect with the Naavi and their way of life. Cameron just has this nack of making films that connect with so many people.

• Like 1

Basic concept, basic storyline, fantastic film.

Couldn't agree more. Out from a very thin premise Cameron really made a visual feast and a very entertaining film, partly influenced by his experiences in nature docs. And he has a secret for drawing the ladies into theatres ... I wanted to watch it twice; but after that my woman dragged me three more times ... "Neytiri in war paint, she looks sooooo pretty".

Doesn't hold up well when viewing at home 3D-less. Without the visual perfection seeing it in theaters, it lacks so much and is much too long. The story is weak and the acting isn't anything special (though I did like Worthington).B/B-, just depends on my mood. I don't think I've watched the whole thing at home. I always make it about half way through and turn it off.

• Like 1

Doesn't hold up well when viewing at home 3D-less. Without the visual perfection seeing it in theaters, it lacks so much and is much too long. The story is weak and the acting isn't anything special (though I did like Worthington).B/B-, just depends on my mood. I don't think I've watched the whole thing at home. I always make it about half way through and turn it off.

I'm actually going to disagree. With the right audio/video set up, it holds it own very well compared to watching it in theaters. The image and sound quality is one of the best, if not the best for home viewing. As far as the movie itself, eventhough the story's been done countless times, I haven't gotten bored yet, and I've probably watched it a dozen times at home.A solid A in my book.
  • Like 1

C.The Visuals were excellent. The story wasn't my cup of tea.

Pretty much how I feel about the movie. I didn't care for any of the characters in the film so that brought down the grade for me.
  • Like 1

Avatar proves that simplicity is beautiful. The story was straightforward, but James Cameron is very gifted at taking a well-known concept and altering it to a unique end product - and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Being original doesn't mean it will end up being better (a misconception too many people have). It's imaginative, emotional, and exciting.

A

• Like 2

B+

It's a very classic story, and I think one that's universally appealing, albeit often-told. The story concept is probably a bit more entertaining to people who are either familiar with the pulp roots that it's derived from or who are big science-fiction fans who'll appreciate all the effort made to make this universe relatively "real". Stock characters, for the most part -- Cameron could've definitely tweaked some of the supporting cast to make 'em more unique and interesting, but despite all that, he really knows how to establish a solid narrative structure, set things up and pay them off, and embed exposition in ways that you don't necessarily notice. And, of course, he's got an amazing eye for visuals and knows how to direct action. And despite being almost hilariously one-note, Stephen Lang's Colonel Quaritch is one of the more awesome bad-ass villains in recent years.

I think the extended Blu-Ray cut is superior in almost every regard to the theatrical release, and in fact addresses several of the quibbles I had originally:

Jake's backstory is better established so you understand his motivations a bit more, some of the Na'Vi supporting characters get fleshed out a bit more, and Quaritch's attack on the Na'Vi base (and his mutterings about fighting back against "terror") actually make sense since we see a Na'Vi sneak attack on the base that was omitted from the theatrical release.

• Like 1