96 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Avatar

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Just bought this on 3d blue-ray and it is truly magnificent. It may not have a great script and yes, It is a copy of Dancing with Wolves but visually it is truly game changing, it just took a while after it's release for us to realise that. The 3d tops anything that has come after it and this movie is 3 years old now. You'd think atleast one movie would be able to challenge this film on the technical side but so far I've seen nothing. James Cameron doesn't make the 'clever' films like we get from Nolan etc, he makes spectacular films that are like no other, and this is no exception. Avatar is THE ultimate 3D experience.9/10

Edited by Jessie
  • Like 1

a lot of fun, never boring and despite what some others say I think the fx still look great.Would give it a B+. Even though I really like it I think it's my least favourite Cameron movie. Just goes to show how talented that boy is. He'll go far in this business.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

Avatar is like a wild party. It's pretty much the best thing ever while you're there, but when you look back, you just think, "It was alright."Still, that December 22nd, 2009 showing at a crowded theater in 3D was one of my favorite movie going experiences ever.

• Like 1

Visually it's a stunning film. And Cameron can stage an action scene like no other. But storywise it's nothis strongest film. The characters don't resonate as much with me. And look I enjoy trees and nature as much as the next guy but it did get a little heavy handed at times. B

• Like 2

This hasn't aged that well with me. I hope Avatar 2 isn't entirely reliant on amazing CGI/3D. If that happens, then James Cameron has officially switched from using storytelling to advance technology to the opposite. Still love Stephen Lang's character though.6.5/10

Edited by Shpongle
  • Like 1

So I'm watching Avatar (online version because I don't have my DVD) and the start is different.. It shows earth, and Jake at a bar (like in the trailer), but the Australian version never had this scene.That being said, it's been almost 4 years since I first experienced Avatar, about a year since the last time, and I love it just as much every time.10/10 movie.

• Like 2

So I'm watching Avatar (online version because I don't have my DVD) and the start is different.. It shows earth, and Jake at a bar (like in the trailer), but the Australian version never had this scene.That being said, it's been almost 4 years since I first experienced Avatar, about a year since the last time, and I love it just as much every time.10/10 movie.

That's the extended cut that wasn't released in theaters. The notable change is the longer beginning on earth. Like most Cameron extended editions, I think it's better than the theatrical release.
  • Like 1

That's the extended cut that wasn't released in theaters. The notable change is the longer beginning on earth. Like most Cameron extended editions, I think it's better than the theatrical release.

Except Aliens. (Save from Ripley's daughter scene but all the prologue on Acheron's colony totally ruins the suspense)

• Like 1

Oooh.. So that's the $70 special edition I didn't buy.

I dont really like the extended version of Avatar. I mean the cut out scenes were good alone, but putting them back in the movie just messes up the flow and the pacing of the film.

There is one scene tho, that I really hated to see Cameron cut it out. It's the "they called me mother" talking scene between Grace and Jake. It really adds a lot to the story. I dont know why it had to be taken out cause it took like only 3 - 5 minutes.

Edited by vc2002
  • Like 1

If this forum had been around in 2009 I'm sure this film would had seen 100 pages. Personally Dar nailed it for me

"Visually it's a stunning film. And Cameron can stage an action scene like no other. But storywise it's nothis strongest film. The characters don't resonate as much with me. And look I enjoy trees and nature as much as the next guy but it did get a little heavy handed at times"

• Like 2

It's riddled with clichés. I couldn't stand how the villains had to be so simplistic. Every line that Quaritch says literally reads "I AM THE F*CKING VILLAIN".At the same time, Cameron's direction is splendid, and he really does suck you into this world. Considering that the film  is all about nature and saving Pandora, Cameron really has to make you fall in love with Pandora. Through his direction, visuals, and musical choices, he does that. For that reason, I recommend it.3/4 

Edited by Dark Jedi Master 007