Neo

Justice League Dark | HBO Max | Series by Bad Robot

Guillermo del Toro Says WB is 'Making Plans for the Entire DC Universe'

We're still on (Justice League Dark), writing, and hopefully it will happen but there are no developments that are new. We're still at Warner Bros., they are making plans for the entire DC universe. All the superheroes, all the mythologies, and part of that is Justice League Dark. They're planning on TV, movies and all the media, so we have to fit into that plan.

Comic-Con Exclusive: Guillermo del Toro’s Dark Universe Will be Separate from Other DC Projects… for Now
I'm still working on it. Sandman doesn’t figure in the Dark Universe. We have Deadman, we have the Demon, we have Swamp Thing, we have Zatana, we have Constantine, but DC and Warners have been very clear that they are trying to keep those properties separate so when the time comes they can unite them, once they know they’re quantifiable. Batman, Superman, Green Lantern… everyone eventually will come together. Right now, they’re allowing us independence.

Neil Gaiman updates about Sandman, but it could hold clues for JLD as well

http://neil-gaiman.tumblr.com/post/100211415516/despite-talk-last-month-about-the-script-being-worked

shellytotter asked: Despite talk last month about the script being worked on, Sandman wasn't mentioned by name in today's WB news release of scheduled DC Comics films. There are previously mentioned release dates without film titles attached, so it's not clear if the status of the project has been altered or if the team at WB decided to focus their news on the easier to group together capes & tights titles due out. Has their been a change in the production timeline? Is Sandman going to be marketed differently?

Gaiman: It’s not a DC Comics film. It’s a Vertigo film. That’s a different slate of films, and a different announcement.

Warner Bros has the script: http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2014/11/25/exclusive-justice-league-dark-script-in-studio-hands-today/

Exclusive - 'Justice League: Dark' Script In Studio Hands Today

Today, the completed screenplay for Dark Universe officially went to weekend reads at Warner Bros. The studio’s reactions to the script will be coming back in a few days, and the film could take another step toward production if Warner has a favorable opinion of what they see on the page. 

• Like 1

Man, now will GDT actually look to direct if it gets green lit, or simply get the writing/producing credit.  If he wants to direct it, this baby aint coming out til at least 2018 or 2019 given his schedule with Crimson Peak & Pacific Rim 2.

I really like Matt Ryan's John Constantine, but I'm guessing due to that show essentially nearing cancellation & being a few years down the road, they'll recast.

Man, now will GDT actually look to direct if it gets green lit, or simply get the writing/producing credit.  If he wants to direct it, this baby aint coming out til at least 2018 or 2019 given his schedule with Crimson Peak & Pacific Rim 2.

I really like Matt Ryan's John Constantine, but I'm guessing due to that show essentially nearing cancellation & being a few years down the road, they'll recast.

Already been addressed.

I haven’t followed up with Frankenstein so I really have very little to add to that. Right now the only sort of shared universe project I’m working on is Dark Universe for Warners, you know, for DC, which is Swamp Thing, Demon, Deadman, Zatanna. It’s a very different universe. As to the plans to the other one, I wish I had an inside track right now.

http://lyrafay.tumblr.com/post/104115500167/i-havent-followed-up-with-frankenstein-so-i

SCOTT RUDIN TO PRODUCE “JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK” WITH PLANS TO SHOOT IN 2016

http://www.tracking-board.com/exclusive-scott-rudin-to-produce-justice-league-dark-with-plans-to-shoot-in-2016/

Despite the departure of Guillermo Del Toro, it’s now apparent that the JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK adaptation, otherwise known as DARK UNIVERSE, is moving forward under the guide of Scott Rudin. Del Toro is still staying on as a producer, though he’ll no longer direct.

Sources confirm that Rudin is moving quickly on this one, making updates to the script and approaching directors. The project is now a priority for Warner Bros., with our sources also reporting that the studio is looking to shoot the superhero team-up film in 2016. Niija Kuykendall, Nik Mavinkurve, and Jon Berg are overseeing for Warner.

Dark Universe has been in development for several years, on a different track from Warner’s other DC titles. Del Toro, who both scripted and was set to helm, proved to be a major champion for the take, which introduces a horror spin to the DC superhero universe. When Del Toro opted out this past summer in favor of Pacific Rim 2, many fans were skeptical if Dark Universe would recover, though that’s clearly not the case.

While the film’s plot has generally been kept under lock and key, we’re hearing that it involves a series of ancient tomes stolen by a madman hellbent on the destruction of humanity. When he learns of this, occult detective John Constantine seeks out a group of heroes that specialize in the mystic and arcane in order to save the world. Though the film’s heroes have not yet been announced, save for Constantine, Del Toro had mentioned that Swamp Thing, Deadman, Zatanna, and Etrigan The Demon will likely make up the team.

SCOTT RUDIN TO PRODUCE “JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK” WITH PLANS TO SHOOT IN 2016

http://www.tracking-board.com/exclusive-scott-rudin-to-produce-justice-league-dark-with-plans-to-shoot-in-2016/

Despite the departure of Guillermo Del Toro, it’s now apparent that the JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK adaptation, otherwise known as DARK UNIVERSE, is moving forward under the guide of Scott Rudin. Del Toro is still staying on as a producer, though he’ll no longer direct.

Sources confirm that Rudin is moving quickly on this one, making updates to the script and approaching directors. The project is now a priority for Warner Bros., with our sources also reporting that the studio is looking to shoot the superhero team-up film in 2016. Niija Kuykendall, Nik Mavinkurve, and Jon Berg are overseeing for Warner.

Dark Universe has been in development for several years, on a different track from Warner’s other DC titles. Del Toro, who both scripted and was set to helm, proved to be a major champion for the take, which introduces a horror spin to the DC superhero universe. When Del Toro opted out this past summer in favor of Pacific Rim 2, many fans were skeptical if Dark Universe would recover, though that’s clearly not the case.

While the film’s plot has generally been kept under lock and key, we’re hearing that it involves a series of ancient tomes stolen by a madman hellbent on the destruction of humanity. When he learns of this, occult detective John Constantine seeks out a group of heroes that specialize in the mystic and arcane in order to save the world. Though the film’s heroes have not yet been announced, save for Constantine, Del Toro had mentioned that Swamp Thing, Deadman, Zatanna, and Etrigan The Demon will likely make up the team.

Could 3 DC movies a year start in 2017?

Colin Farrell or Ewan McGregor being approached for John Constantine, Ron Perlman for Swamp Thing and Monica Belluci for Madame Xanadu?: http://www.latino-review.com/news/hot-rumor-justice-league-dark-project-might-have-their-new-constantine?utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter

The lead characters aren't cast, though we've heard Warner Bros is close on a few of the roles.  Guillermo Del Toro wanted Ron Perlman to play Swamp Thing and thus far everyone seems to agree that's still a good idea. The studio disagreed with Del Toro's choice to play John Constantine and is seeking A-List talent. Right now the frontrunner for the part looks like Colin Farrell, who is currently shooting "Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them" with the studio. However, Ewan McGregor has also been approached for the same part.  It's possible that the one that doesn't get the role of John Constantine could fall back to Jason Blood, the human side of Etrigan.  For Deadman, Warner Bros is looking for a comedic presence and for Zatanna, they're still searching for hispanic/black actress to fill the role. Right now Monica Belluci looks like the top choice to play magic user Madame Xanadu.  

PS saw this in the comment section over there, died a little

Zatanna better be a busty babe. I'm tired of these comic movies putting B-cup chicks in super tight push up bras and photoshopping their cleavage on the poster. Give us some actually curvy women, please.

1 minute ago, Chewy said:

PS saw this in the comment section over there, died a little

When did BKB start commenting on Latino Review???

I would be surprised if all 4 of these (or even one of these) castings happen in the end. Although it would help keep the budget low for sure since none of them can command a high salary. I think the final cast will look a lot like Suicide Squad with a good mix of names and upcoming talent.

• Like 2