Neo

Justice League Dark | HBO Max | Series by Bad Robot

8 hours ago, El Gato said:

Because race swapping is incredibly insulting. Its basically saying, oh sorry the actual minority characters we do have aren't good enough so we're just going to change this White characters race instead. It's a cop out.

I'll take charcters like Black Panther, El Diablo, Cyborg, Amanda Waller, Falcon, Katana...etc over race swaps like Deadshot, Heimdall...etc anyday!

Black Orchid is actually Latino, in the comics and cartoons so using her and bolstering her overall profile is a huge win in my book.

Nah, it's an adaptation so there's nothing inherently wrong with getting the best actress for the part if the race doesn't matter at all in the story. And once again, nothing is stopping them from casting her and then casting another Latina actress for Black Orchid; there's no actual hard-limit to how many Latinos they can have as super-heroes.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Spidey Freak said:

99.9% of superhero movie audiences don't read the comics. And features like colored eyes are not exclusively Caucasian traits. DC will subtly draw Zatanna as racially ambiguous if Eiza or another Latina actress is cast. They are slowly but surely going that route with Wonder Woman and Aquaman too.

Still doesn't change the fact she isn't a Latino character. If they want a Latino character so bad then how hard is it to use an actual Latino character like Black Orchid? She could use the exposure! 

3 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

If a character in the comics is a minority, keep them a minority in the film. If the character is white, feel free to cast a minority in the role.

This isn't hard.

A statement I had seen recently online about this rang very true, a lot of characters in comics are not white, they are default. When comics gained prominence, every character was by default, white. Unless being white and of privilege is a central requirement of the character, like Bruce Wayne, any other character who isn't tied to a specific skin color can easily be cast differently. 

• Like 4

You guys aren't getting my argument! What good does it do to change a White characters' race to Black/Latino/Asian? The character will still be White everywhere else!

Take Deadshot for instance. He's Black in the DCEU but is still White in the comics, tv shows (Arrow), video games (Injustice 2) and cartoons (JLA). Meanwhile a character like Bronze Tiger, an actual minority character, is sitting in limbo in all mediums! He could have used the exposure! Especially being portrayed by Will Smith!

Changing Zatanna into a Latina will do nothing! She's still going to be White in comics, tv shows, cartoons and video games. Instead what it'll do is lessen Black Orchid's chances of being used which would be a shame because she's an actual Latina who could use the exposure.

4 hours ago, El Gato said:

You guys aren't getting my argument! What good does it do to change a White characters' race to Black/Latino/Asian? The character will still be White everywhere else!

Take Deadshot for instance. He's Black in the DCEU, but is still White in the comics, TV shows (Arrow), video games (Injustice 2) and cartoons (JLA). Meanwhile, a character like Bronze Tiger, an actual minority character, is sitting in limbo in all mediums! He could have used the exposure! Especially being portrayed by Will Smith!

Changing Zatanna into a Latina will do nothing! She's still going to be White in comics, tv shows, cartoons and video games. Instead what it'll do is lessen Black Orchid's chances of being used which would be a shame because she's an actual Latina who could use the exposure.

Arrow? Never heard of that...

Anyways, why can't they both be minorities?

Tired of the whites.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, grim22 said:

A statement I had seen recently online about this rang very true, a lot of characters in comics are not white, they are default. When comics gained prominence, every character was by default, white. Unless being white and of privilege is a central requirement of the character, like Bruce Wayne, any other character who isn't tied to a specific skin color can easily be cast differently. 

Also, the regressive Comics Code in the 50's made it possible to file lawsuits against creators for using POC characters as protagonists in their stories. So it wasn't just a default thing, there was the element of fear against using POC characters (especially as leads and love interests) as it would invite a whole lot of hassle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, El Gato said:

Take Deadshot for instance. He's Black in the DCEU but is still White in the comics, tv shows (Arrow), video games (Injustice 2) and cartoons (JLA). Meanwhile a character like Bronze Tiger, an actual minority character, is sitting in limbo in all mediums! He could have used the exposure! Especially being portrayed by Will Smith!

It gives POC more representation in media. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, ChipMunky said:

It gives POC more representation in media. 

By playing White characters... No thank you! I'll take the real deal (Katana, Amanda Waller, El Diablo, Cyborg, Black Panther...etc) over pandering (Deadshot, Heimdall, Valkyrie...etc) anyday!

Not sure how reliable is this, but the Brazilian biggest movie news website is reporting news from this website:

http://thathashtagshow.com/2017/08/exclusive-jon-spaihts-work-justice-league-dark/

Jon Spaihts was one of the writers behind Doctor Strange. I personally prefer C. Robert "Massawyrm" Cargil, the other co-screenwriter on Doctor Strange, but having Spahits working on this would be great news. Not sure how much reliable though. 

10 minutes ago, Cochofles said:

I hope not.

Just one gal?

Come on, WB.

Take Swamp Thing out and bring in Black Orchid.

I always knew Black Orchid was a longshot. Swamp Thing will remain as he is considered a sacred Alan Moore contribution. I hoped they would at least include Madame Xanadu. She was their Nick Fury/Amanda Waller of sorts in the original comics and wasn't the Del Toro iteration rumored to be considering Monica Belluci to play her? She's a unique character whose rich Arthurian roots could be mined to great effect.

• Like 1