The Stingray

The Avengers Vs. The Dark Knight Rises. MY breakdown.

TA Vs. TDKR.  

81 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you like more?

• The Avengers
    • The Dark Knight Rises

Acting

TA - 7

TDKR - 8

Action

TA - 9

TDKR - 8

Ambition

TA - 10

TDKR - 9

Cinematography

TA - 7

TDKR - 10

Dialogue

TA - 9

TDKR - 9

Emotion

TA - 5

TDKR - 10

Humor

TA - 9

TDKR - 7

Score

TA - 6

TDKR - 7

Script

TA - 8

TDKR - 8

Villains

TA - 7

TDKR - 8

TA 77

TDKR 84

Winner: TDKR

• Like 1

Acting:TA - 9TDKR - 8Everyone in The Avengers fit their roles pretty well, while like others have said, I thought Cotillard was a pretty weak link in TDKR cast. Take her out and I'd probably like the acting in TDKR more.Action:The Avengers - 9TDKR - 9Really liked both. The first Bane vs. Batman scene is the best single action scene in either movie though.AmbitionThe Avengers - 10TDKR - 8I can't think of another film that pulled of the combination of different movie characters that TA did, so points for that.CinematographyThe Avengers - 6TDKR - 8TDKR was definitely weaker than Wally's effort on The Dark Knight but there's still some great stuff in there. Avengers is passable with that one really cool tracking shot.DialogueThe Avengers - 9TDKR - 7I prefer the funny one-liners of The Avengers to some of the pseudo-philosophical stuff they threw out there on TDKR.EmotionThe Avengers - 5TDKR - 8TDKR really goes for it in the end with Michael Caine crying and shit, so that one.HumourThe Avengers - 10TDKR - 3The way Hulk smacked Loki around is still probably the hardest I've laughed at something in a movie this year, I don't remember anything particularly funny about TDKR. Maybe a couple little thingsScoreThe Avengers - 5TDKR - 5Both were suitable for their purpose I guess, though neither really jumped or at me as great.ScriptThe Avengers - 9TDKR - 6TDKR has more holes and little plot points that kinda bug me.Villains The Avengers - 7TDKR - 7Bane was an amazing villain but I'm one of those who thought he was slighty undermined by the movie's ending.Avengers wins.

• Like 1

The way I look at these films they are hard to compare in this way as they were aiming towards different things.Marking TDKR down for lack of humour is not saying its a bad film as comedy was not an intention barring the odd line.Same with TA and emotion. This was the start of a trilogy as opposed to the end where questions such as 'will everyone survive' become part of the last chapter. TA can't exactly kill of Hulk or Thor in part one, It's why Iron Man's sacrifice can't be compared to Batman's - because we know Iron Man is making another film whereas Bale might not be.Overall it comes down to one factor for me:TA tried to be a fun big-budget event movie where we see stars of numerous films come together for fun, japes and fights.TA pulled this off perfectly.TDKR tried to be the deepest superhero movie ever with a hero coming to terms with his mortality, villains that have total control over a city and everything coming against him to the point where it has to be an act of ultimate heroism and perhaps sacrifice to succeed.TDKR pulled this off commendably but not brilliantly, let alone perfectly in my eyes.Therefore TA is the better film. But if TDKR had managed to get it all spot on, it could have been the greatest film of all time. Instead it is just a very good film thats not quite as good as it's predecessor or the other big comic book move of 2012.

Acting

TA - 8 (Nothing extraordinary, but everyone does a good job.)

TDKR - 9 (Marion Cotillard's last scene knocks it down half a point. Caine, Hathaway and Hardy are all outstanding.)

Action

TA - 9 (Lots of it, and very entertaining.)

TDKR - 8 (Not all that much, but Gotham City blowing up was awesome.)

Ambition

TA - 8 (It's story isn't particularly amazing, but mashing superheros who already have their own movies into one big one is pretty bold.)

TDKR - 10 (Probably the most ambitious action blockbuster ever made. It's a huge story with so many themes and messages to the power and the people.)

Cinematography

TA - 5 (Meh.)

TDKR - 9 (Just the overhead shots of the city instantly make it better than Avengers. Pfister never disappoints.)

Dialogue

TA - 8.5 (It has it's conventional blockbuster lines, but it also has some hilarious one-liners.)

TDKR - 9 (Giving TDKR the edge because of some really memorable quotes. A lot of which are from Bane.)

Emotion

TA - 5 (Meh again. Getting too deep would kind of feel out of place in this movie, but it's fairly flat here.)

TDKR - 9.5 (Nolan's Batman trilogy always explores dark emotional themes. TDKR is about inflicting pain on the innocent and bringing yourself back together after you've lost everything. Bane watching Talia before he dies is heartbreaking as is Caine's crying. Nolan has been known to be more about intellect and less about emotion, but he showed his strength here.)

Humor

TA - 9.5 (Much funnier than what you'd expect from popcorn entertainment. Hulk randomly punching Thor in the face. Looooolll.)

TDKR - 5.5 (Humour is to TDKR as emotion is to TA.)

Score

TA - 6 (Serviceable, but rather generic.)

TDKR - 8.5 (The chant is a little overused but there's some great scores that warrant listening to by themselves.)

Script

TA - 8 (Eh storyline, but it moves at a good pace and Whedon knows how to entertain his audience.)

TDKR - 9 (Even at 164 minutes, every scene and word of dialogue feels necessary, and every big idea is written with brilliant execution. Yeah it has plot holes, but it makes up for it with multidimensional characters that we care about and a story we become invested in.)

Villains

TA - 7 (Loki is a good villain, but not exactly memorable.)

TDKR - 10 (I must be in a very small minority, but Bane>Joker. While Heath Ledger's performance is virtually unbeatable, Bane is an exceptional villain that we actually really care about. The thing that makes villains people are their choices, and there's always the hint of the pain that Bane (that rhymes!) feels when makes his decisions. "I'm necessary evil.")

TOTAL

TA - 74/100

TDKR - 87.5/100

• Like 2

Acting

TA - 8

TDKR - 9

The acting in The Dark Knight Rises was a little more challenging than in TA. While TDKR was more emotional, in TA the actors had to say the jokes and mostly abstain cracking a smile/laugh.

Action

TA - 10

TDKR - 8

The Avengers won this one handed. The Dark Knight Rises still had a few scenes in which the action was excellent, but there were less scenes than Avengers.

Ambition

TA - 8

TDKR - 10

Let's face it, The Dark Knight Rises had one of the best stories possible that expanded over three movies and had big connections, while Avengers barely had something to do with the other movies (yeah, the characters story - nothing more)

Cinematography

TA - 6

TDKR - 9

The cinematography didn't amaze me at Avengers, but The Dark Knight Rises did... They have an Oscar nomination, if not win, locked at this category.

Dialogue

TA - 10

TDKR - 8

There was barely any dialogue in The Dark Knight Rises (I mean, compared to Avengers), while in Avengers they talked more than they fought.

Emotion

TA - 7

TDKR - 10

The Avengers did nothing special here. I got up from my seat and left the theater, maybe cracking a laugh or two with my friends when remembering the jokes, but The Dark Knight left me open mouthed and with tears in my eyes...

Humor

TA - 10

TDKR - 5

Do I really need to comment here!?

Score

TA - 5

TDKR - 10

There was only one soundtrack that was remembering worthy from the Avengers - 18. Avengers Assemble. The Dark Knight had: Rise, Why do we fall? - actually, all tracks to be more direct.

Script

TA - 9

TDKR - 10

Villains

TA - 8

TDKR - 10

Don't let the factor of Bane's voice get in here. Bane is far more than Loki.

TOTAL

TA - 81/100

TDKR - 89/100

• Like 2

Even at 164 minutes, every scene and word of dialogue feels necessary, and every big idea is written with brilliant execution. Yeah it has plot holes, but it makes up for it with multidimensional characters that we care about and a story we become invested in.

This is what I feel about TDKR, well written Avatarfan Edited by Goffe Bond
  • Like 1

These comparisons don't make much sense to me. You are better off comparing Avengers to Batman and Robin then TDKR. Obviously Avengers would win that poll easier than usain bolt would win an under 13 running race, but at least tonally the movies are similar. Here its asking 'do you prefer a dark brooding movie or a light hearted popcorn movie'. Both are very good examples in their respective genres but its a bit difficult to compare them head to head.

• Like 1

These comparisons don't make much sense to me. You are better off comparing Avengers to Batman and Robin then TDKR. Obviously Avengers would win that poll easier than usain bolt would win an under 13 running race, but at least tonally the movies are similar. Here its asking 'do you prefer a dark brooding movie or a light hearted popcorn movie'. Both are very good examples in their respective genres but its a bit difficult to compare them head to head.

But you voted for TDKR, which means you did compare them. :P
  • Like 1